Henrik Lundqvist says he’ll work for Rangers after retirement

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
In an interview with Johan Rylander of the Goteborgs-Posten, the 38-year-old goaltender revealed that he expects make a return to the Rangers in some capacity after he retires from the NHL.

“I’ll be a part of the Rangers for the rest of my life, in one way or another,” he said, according to a Swedish translation. “Both I and the Rangers have been clear about that. That’s how it will be.”

Asked to clarify if that meant he had a job with the Rangers in the future, Lundqvist confirmed that was the plan.

“It will be the role they want it to be,” he responded. “I don’t know if the role will be small or if there will be something more. It is further ahead. It’s all about timing. It’s just not now.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/16/henrik-lundqvist-says-hell-work-for-rangers-after-retirement/

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Then why not just retire?

Call me one of "those" fans, but galavanting around DC on his social media that has been more active in the past month than in his entire 15 year career with the team, and glory hunting with Washington for one more run at a Cup and for one more paycheck rubs me the wrong way if that was the plan all along.

He can clean the toilets in the blue seats and earn his way upwards, if he wants.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

Call me one of "those" fans, but galavanting around DC on his social media that has been more active in the past month than in his entire 15 year career with the team, and glory hunting with Washington for one more run at a Cup and for one more paycheck rubs me the wrong way if that was the plan all along.

He can clean the toilets in the blue seats and earn his way upwards, if he wants.

You sound bitter. We bought him out, so why not let him do what he wants? It's more about a run at a Cup than the money, and who are we to interfere with a personal career goal? He's no longer on the team (for now).

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
You sound bitter. We bought him out, so why not let him do what he wants? It's more about a run at a Cup than the money, and who are we to interfere with a personal career goal? He's no longer on the team (for now).
You're damn right I'm bitter. It's the same as Brodeur playing for the Blues before retiring. It tarnished his legacy, IMO.

Reactions: leetch99

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
You sound bitter. It's good to see DC embrace him. We bought him out, so why not let him do what he wants? It's more about a run at a Cup than the money, and who are we to interfere with a personal career goal? He's no longer on the team (for now).

It stings to see him getting ready to play in Washington but, to me, it’s a case where the guy still believes he can play and wants to play. It couldn’t happen here due to cap. I feel like him posting all the Washington stuff is more like him coping with leaving NY and trying to hype himself up more than rubbing it in anyone’s face. It’s probably weird as can be for him and he’s trying to embrace it by ‘committing’ to the change. But who are we to say he can’t play anymore? He didn’t go chasing a payday. He obviously wants to play and wants another kick at the can. That’s his right.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

The whole point is that he doesn't want to retire and the course he took was all that was available to him. His "plan" all along was to play for the Rangers through the end of his contract and the Rangers went a different direction.

Who gives a crap what he's tweeting about? I don't see any reason to be upset about a guy being excited for a fresh start at a different job.

Some of these takes are just hot messes.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
You're damn right I'm bitter. It's the same as Brodeur playing for the Blues before retiring. It tarnished his legacy, IMO.

Lundqvist's situation is much more similar to Bourque trying to win a cup with the Avs than Brodeur.

Brodeur had already won multiple cups, was in his early 40s, and was the winningest goaltender of all time. There was a lot less incentive for him to continue playing than Lundqvist.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
It stings to see him getting ready to play in Washington but, to me, it’s a case where the guy still believes he can play and wants to play. It couldn’t happen here due to cap. I feel like him posting all the Washington stuff is more like him coping with leaving NY and trying to hype himself up more than rubbing it in anyone’s face. It’s probably weird as can be for him and he’s trying to embrace it by ‘committing’ to the change. But who are we to say he can’t play anymore? He didn’t go chasing a payday. He obviously wants to play and wants another kick at the can. That’s his right.
Right. I should probably heed my own advice, but its more the "look at me, I'm doing better here" scorned ex-like behavior that's getting me more than anything.

If he wants to keep playing that's certainly his right. I don't know, the way he's using his social media has me irked. It's his right, but it doesn't mean that I'm wrong or right for being annoyed. It's my opinion and nothing more.

Back to lurking...

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

I remember how I felt when moving from NY to DC...

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Lundqvist's situation is much more similar to Bourque trying to win a cup with the Avs than Brodeur.

Brodeur had already won multiple cups, was in his early 40s, and was the winningest goaltender of all time. There was a lot less incentive for him to continue playing than Lundqvist.
True enough...originally I was ticked about him becoming a Cap ...but that is his business and not a big deal for me anymore LOL...I'm over it . If he gets lit up in a few games I could care less LOL....his best days are behind him for sure and I'm sure once he has a few bad games and then between periods looks around the room for a friendly face to confide in....he will know that he should have stayed around NY . But....sometimes they have to experience this before it actually sinks in.....these guys have a lot of pride and we all know Henrik by now.......

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

The whole thing reminds me of Luis Suarez celebrating a goal against Liverpool like he never scored before and then spending the time in between legs talking about how much he loved being there.

That ended well. I hope this does too somehow.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
That’s great to hear, and signals that the “break up” was mutual, planned, and temporary. Great job by everyone involved.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Right. I should probably heed my own advice, but its more the "look at me, I'm doing better here" scorned ex-like behavior that's getting me more than anything.

If he wants to keep playing that's certainly his right. I don't know, the way he's using his social media has me irked. It's his right, but it doesn't mean that I'm wrong or right for being annoyed. It's my opinion and nothing more.

Back to lurking...
Couldn't be him trying to win over the fans of the new team his plays for, has to be him scorning that fans of his ex-team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->