Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's a valid point to raise in the context of discussing whether management has handled the situation well.
Most points raised by reasonable posters (yourself included) are valid points to raise. That said, I think that the situation played it self out and left them with no choice. They were never going to yo-yo Georgiev. At least that is what I think.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
These are the highlights from Lundqvist's last season:

It's just sad to see him eat popcorn and play 25 games a season, when he has so much hockey left to give, even at his age. His reflexes aren't what they used to be, but he sure has experience as a long time veteran. He still needs to play alot of games to stay sharp, a vintage workhorse goalie. San Jose has a bad defense, but they're not rebuild NYR bad, just the usual stuff for him.

My dream scenario would be he accepted there are other, beautiful cities to live in and that he could accept to play for the Sharks for example, who are constantly punished by paying $6m for Jones in net. Imagine what Hank could do to help a team like that, if they could rely more on their netminding? Alot. The cap relief and the game time for their young goaltenders is worth more, they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

How about NYR paying a 7th pick for San Jose accepting to bring on Lundqvist? No? Hank lifts his NMC, is traded to San Jose, half the salary retained by New York for the end of his contract.

Too bad it should've happened earlier. But if he wants to rot away the rest of his career just because he loves New York so much, meh? It's his choice. Does he love hockey or New York more? I would hope he loves hockey more, but apparently I'm not him. I would've valued to actually play games - possibly even win a Cup. He's tested for sure.

It would be so sad to see the end of his career rotting away in New York, just because he loves the city and is so loyal to that.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
At this point, if Hank in any way cares about his hockey career and his passion for playing hockey, he should waive his NMC and ask NYR to trade him, with the classic 50% split in salary. It's obvious to anyone that NYR is pushing this hard by physically showing Hank he doesn't matter anymore for the future of the franchise.

If he just wasn't so goddamn stubborn and could try a last adventure to try to win the cup... does he really not care so much anymore about at least trying a last push? Instead he goes the NYR retirement home classic. If he doesn't waive his NMC, what a letdown, he still has enough quality goaltending left in him.

He's already considered dead meat in New York. Why can't he accept that and take that as a drive to give the finger, the New York way?

Can I say what I most appreciate with Hank's career as a goalie? That he first played the systematic, robotic game of an efficient goalie, to then let his experience and remaining athleticism guide him when he got too old and slow to play the system goalie? He's not playing by a system now, he's just rolling.

The quality saves he makes now are very much reminiscent of the old school goalie who didn't have a butterfly system. Does it make him more susceptible to easy goals or being out of position, a characteristic that was once his forté? Yes. Do I care? No. He's still a showman. He's not Lundpads anymore, he's "I'll make this work, just let me be creative."

His advanced numbers were excellent, before NYR stopped playing him regularly and he's still a workhorse, he needs his games to stay on his toes, because he's . or was? - a hungry competitor.

Please bail ship, Hank.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
At this point, if Hank in any way cares about his hockey career and his passion for playing hockey, he should waive his NMC and ask NYR to trade him, with the classic 50% split in salary. It's obvious to anyone that NYR is pushing this hard by physically showing Hank he doesn't matter anymore for the future of the franchise.
Why would he every consider leaving his family behind to go play 1.5 seasons in a completely different state?
If he just wasn't so goddamn stubborn and could try a last adventure to try to win the cup... does he really not care so much anymore about at least trying a last push? Instead he goes the NYR retirement home classic. If he doesn't waive his NMC, what a letdown, he still has enough quality goaltending left in him.
I don't know....maybe the idea of finishing his career with the only team that he has ever played for means something to him? Maybe the thought of leaving his family behind at this stage does not appeal to him anymore?
He's already considered dead meat in New York. Why can't he accept that and take that as a drive to give the finger, the New York way?
Because what he has done for this franchise warranted him a contract that says he does not have to do that.

Reactions: MetalJaws

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
I just hope the Georgiev return is great, Hank can play to a high level/Backup level from here on out and Shesty is the real deal.

Wishful thinking but not too much of a stretch.

Go Rangers!

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Boomer asked this morning, who is in goal tonight. Was told shesty, then went on saying what is Hank never playing for us again. Basically saying he would not trade either of our young goalies and that Hank should consider another team if the opportunity exist. Then he referenced Colorado. I’m paraphrasing but basically that was it.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Boomer asked this morning, who is in goal tonight. Was told shesty, then went on saying what is Hank never playing for us again. Basically saying he would not trade either of our young goalies and that Hank should consider another team if the opportunity exist. Then he referenced Colorado. I’m paraphrasing but basically that was it.

Shesty tonight, Hank tomorrow. I believe Hank suggested as much in an interview yesterday.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Georgiev wants to be a starter, he won't be here. Hank backing up Igor and mentoring seems to be the ideal situation ,imo. Yeah the cap hit sucks next year, but if he is not going to waive his NMC, not much can be done. It's not like they are not getting use out of Hank. I'm all for Hank taking on a Ryan Miller type role moving forward after this contract with the Rangers.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Can I say what I most appreciate with Hank's career as a goalie? That he first played the systematic, robotic game of an efficient goalie, to then let his experience and remaining athleticism guide him when he got too old and slow to play the system goalie? He's not playing by a system now, he's just rolling.

The quality saves he makes now are very much reminiscent of the old school goalie who didn't have a butterfly system. Does it make him more susceptible to easy goals or being out of position, a characteristic that was once his forté? Yes. Do I care? No. He's still a showman. He's not Lundpads anymore, he's "I'll make this work, just let me be creative."

His advanced numbers were excellent, before NYR stopped playing him regularly and he's still a workhorse, he needs his games to stay on his toes, because he's . or was? - a hungry competitor.

Please bail ship, Hank.

Not sure he’s considered done here with all the rumors about the team trying to move Georgiev.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Not sure he’s considered done here with all the rumors about the team trying to move Georgiev.
Well, now he's done. Shestyerkin is the #1 and apparently Georgiev is the #2. Will Lundqvist try to be traded or sit and eat popcorn for the remaining 1½ years of his contract? Or are they only playing Georgiev to gain trade value on him? Lundqvist has basically no trade value.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYSPORTS

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I posted this in the Roster building thread already but figured it should be posted here as well.

Another recent interview with Hank from a credible Swedish newspaper/tabloid. Hank admitted that there are ongoing discussions about moving him. Reading between the lines and the way he answered questions directly related to his relationship with Quinn and Gorton you get the sense that he is very unhappy. The only thing not being discussed at the moment is a buyout.

After reading this, I think there is a strong possibility that we wont see Hank playing for the Rangers again. I am aware that he no longer is the old Hank and that the future is Shesty but it breaks my heart that it had to end like this. This could have been handled much better.

Henrik Lundqvist: ”Det ser inte ut som att jag kommer spela jättemycket”

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
I posted this in the Roster building thread already but figured it should be posted here as well.

Another recent interview with Hank from a credible Swedish newspaper/tabloid. Hank admitted that there are ongoing discussions about moving him. Reading between the lines and the way he answered questions directly related to his relationship with Quinn and Gorton you get the sense that he is very unhappy. The only thing not being discussed at the moment is a buyout.

After reading this, I think there is a strong possibility that we wont see Hank playing for the Rangers again. I am aware that he no longer is the old Hank and that the future is Shesty but it breaks my heart that it had to end like this. This could have been handled much better.

Henrik Lundqvist: ”Det ser inte ut som att jag kommer spela jättemycket”
Yeah this is not the way to treat a former king. Should be playing hockey, or given a meaningfull managment role/job in the org. or be respectfully traded.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Ok, sorry for not knowing all the turns. So what are they are trying to do now, bully him into moving his NMC? I think he still is and got to be better than atleast one of the two unproven Russian rookie-goalies, someone should tell him that. Im telling it, hope Lundqvist read this thread..

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Ok, sorry for not knowing all the turns. So what are they are trying to do now, bully him into moving his NMC? I think he still is and got to be better than atleast one of the two unproven Russian rookie-goalies, someone should tell him that. Im telling it, hope Lundqvist read this thread..
How is he going to prove he's better than either of them when he gets to play 4 games a month? Lundqvist has always been a workhorse goalie. The more he plays, the better he plays.

I think it's weird Lundqvist refuses to remove his NMC, but apparently he's fine with earning $8.5m not playing hockey. It's extremely obvious NYR has thrown Lundqvist out at this point, but not contract wise, because they can't.

That this is how Lundqvist's career ends in New York was very expected. The classic star veteran treatment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fataldogg

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
How is he going to prove he's better than either of them when he gets to play 4 games a month? Lundqvist has always been a workhorse goalie. The more he plays, the better he plays.

I think it's weird Lundqvist refuses to remove his NMC, but apparently he's fine with earning $8.5m not playing hockey. It's extremely obvious NYR has thrown Lundqvist out at this point, but not contract wise, because they can't.

If he'd just waive his NMC because of not getting to play he might just have not have it in the first place. I'm sure he wants to play a lot more but the purpose of having a NMC is for situations like this where the team would prefer to get rid of you. Maybe if he gets a chance for a cup he might consider it but I don't see why he would accept a trade if it means going to a team just to be able to play a little more.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Yeah this is not the way to treat a former king. Should be playing hockey, or given a meaningfull managment role/job in the org. or be respectfully traded.

??

He won't waive his no trade.

He earned it, and earned his contract but if he wanted more flexibility later in his career he could've taken shorter term on his contract

It was never a team friendly deal and always an over payment

But it is what it is. We had to offer the contract at the time.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
These are the highlights from Lundqvist's last season:

“It's just sad to see him eat popcorn and play 25 games a season, when he has so much hockey left to give, even at his age. His reflexes aren't what they used to be”

that’s all you need to know IMO. His reflexes aren’t the same so not sure how much hockey he has left.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I’m curious as to how people think this should’ve been handled differently?

Because based on everything I’ve seen, the only outcome Hank was willing to accept was to continue to play in NY as the #1 until such time as HE wanted to go.

The letter went out to fans a little more than two years ago. We’re 5 days away from the third TDL since that happened, and we know that as early as the first one the organization came to him and offered to move him to a contender. He said no that year and presumably again the next, and remained the starter, despite the fact that leaving him as the #1 was arguably counterproductive to the rebuild. Meanwhile, the kids have been progressing, and are now both 24 and ready for prime time. The clock has run out.

So again: how should it have been handled differently?

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Not sure how they are bullying him. The Rangers at least allow him to dress. They could leave him in street clothes. Meanwhile, not sure how he’s better than at least one of the unproven goalies when both goalies have been more consistent than Hank. He’s old now, and there is nobody to blame.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I’m curious as to how people think this should’ve been handled differently?

Because based on everything I’ve seen, the only outcome Hank was willing to accept was to continue to play in NY as the #1 until such time as HE wanted to go.

The letter went out to fans s little more than two years ago. We’re 5 days away from the third TDL since that happened, and we know that as early as the first one the organization came to him and offered to move him to a contender. He said no that year and presumably again the next, and remained the starter, despite the fact that leaving him as the #1 was arguably counterproductive to the rebuild. Meanwhile, the kids have been progressing, and are now both 24 and ready for prime time. The clock has run out.

So again: how should it have been handled differently?

Perfect summary

What’s left? Start him for the season finale vs Chicago?

Finally, when you made over $100 million by playing a game with the longevity of an extended temp job, keep it in perspective please. Enough sympathy.

Last edited:

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

That this is how Lundqvist's career ends in New York was very expected. The classic star veteran treatment.

Come on.. they have no "thrown him out". He's been outplayed by two very promising young goalies (one of which is probably the highest rated goalie prospect in the world). I'm sure if our options weren't as great he's be playing way more frequently.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm actually pleased that management had the cajones to phase Hank out at this juncture. I think it's clear he's third best goalie on the roster right now. The easy thing to do would have been to let him play out his contract under the premise that the team is not a contender anyway. Well no not with that attitude.

I hear the arguments. Yes he's a legend. Yes he can still pitch a shutout from time to time. Neither helps if the goal is to win more games than lose.

Here's another argument: Phasing Hank out now is the more compassionate thing to do and better overall for his legacy. I remember the Garden booing Mark Messier out of frustration when management refused to move on. Mark Messier. In his last couple seasons Messier killed offense in ways Jesper Fast could only dream of. It was ugly, cost the Rangers wins, and I still have a bad taste in my mouth from it.

Last edited:

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I'm actually pleased that management had the cajones to phase Hank out at this juncture. I think it's clear he's third best goalie on the roster right now. The easy thing to do would have been to let him play out his contract under the premise that the team is not a contender anyway. Well no not with that attitude.

I hear the arguments. Yes he's a legend. Yes he can still pitch a shutout from time to time. Neither helps if the goal is to win more games than lose.

Here's another argument: Phasing Hank out now is the more compassionate thing to do and better overall for his legacy. I remember the Garden booing Mark Messier out of frustration when management refused to move on. Mark Messier. In his last couple seasons Messier killed offense in ways Jesper Fast could only dream of. It was ugly, cost the Rangers wins, and I still have a bad taste in my mouth from it.

Honestly, if it was about winning games NOW, then Quinn shouldnt be coach. Quinn has wasted a Hart season out of Artemi, and clicked a year off Zibenejads prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad