Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
A three-goalie rotation is just such an awful idea.
True. But I kind of think the players forced the situation by playing well. So it’s kind of a “good problem” in the bigger picture.
I think the alternative option which would have been sending down Georgiev earlier - when he was playing great - would have sent the wrong message and basically just been a case of ‘kicking the fan down the road’.
For me, this falls into the ‘c’est la vie’ category. They’ll get through it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think there was any way they would have let him walk. In retrospect, I wish they would have let him go. The rebuild would have started a long time ago.
Yes, because of being in the playoffs, they would have been on the outside looking in on many years. Think there are conference finals or trips to the finals without Henke? Not even close.
In almost every instance, teams that advance to the Conference finals or SCF have to have great goaltending, not a great goaltender. You can get there with a good goaltender who plays his best in the playoffs.
Who advanced with merely good goaltending?

Though not sure if the answer matters at all. If you think that this team advanced to Conference Finals or Cup Finals without Henke covering up all of the warts virtually single handed, there is nothing really more for us to debate here.

Hey guys, there was this stretch of time where the franchise had one of it's better successes in history. I know. Let's go back and remove the biggest reason for all of that success. I bet you they do just as well. Maybe if we were to remove Richter and replace him with Healy, the Ranger still win the Cup.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
If the Rangers management could go back in time they would just sign Hank to a longer first extension, 8 or 9 years instead of 6.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Yes, because of being in the playoffs, they would have been on the outside looking in on many years. Think there are conference finals or trips to the finals without Henke? Not even close.

Who advanced with merely good goaltending?

Though not sure if the answer matters at all. If you think that this team advanced to Conference Finals or Cup Finals without Henke covering up all of the warts virtually single handed, there is nothing really more for us to debate here.

Hey guys, there was this stretch of time where the franchise had one of it's better successes in history. I know. Let's go back and remove the biggest reason for all of that success. I bet you they do just as well. Maybe if we were to remove Richter and replace him with Healy, the Ranger still win the Cup.
I've discussed this in the past. I do find the bold to be hyperbole.
You are a big Hank fan, I get it.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Absolutely. Hank is also an uber competitive guy. Most of these types would rather walk than not be at the top of the pecking order.
Does anyone think Hank is looking forward to mentoring the young goalies? I think he has plenty of money and other interests. I just don't see him as that type of guy.
Sorry if I repeated what you wrote.
Walking away would be the opposite of being uber competitive though.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
That is not hyperbole and has nothing to do with being a fan or not a fan. Those teams go nowhere unless he is there to cover up the warts.

It's kind of hyperbole. I mean the 14-15 team won the Presidents trophy with an injured Hank only starting 46 instead of his usual 60-70+ games.

There have been plenty of years the team was just basically Hank. But those deep playoff years, those were good teams.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's kind of hyperbole. I mean the 14-15 team won the Presidents trophy with an injured Hank only starting 46 instead of his usual 60-70+ games.

There have been plenty of years the team was just basically Hank. But those deep playoff years, those were good teams.
They were. But I maintain that they do not get anywhere near as far as those runs went without Henke.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Hank needs to be a team player and waive his NTC.

Let himself get the last chance to win the cup and let the organization to keep two good young goalies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
True. But I kind of think the players forced the situation by playing well. So it’s kind of a “good problem” in the bigger picture.
I think the alternative option which would have been sending down Georgiev earlier - when he was playing great - would have sent the wrong message and basically just been a case of ‘kicking the fan down the road’.
For me, this falls into the ‘c’est la vie’ category. They’ll get through it.

Georgiev wouldn't have passed waivers...sending him down was never an option...

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

The Rangers have 4 games remaining until the ASG break. The Rangers are off for a while. Their first game back is on January 31.

Shesterkin goes to the AHL during the break to participate in the AHL all star game. January 26-27.

The lack of foresight here is astonishing. Did they just forget Geo was waived exempt

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The lack of foresight here is astonishing. Did they just forget Geo was waived exempt

Why would you send down Georgiev though? He's younger and way more proven than Shesterkin. Doesn't make any sense....

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I think a lot of people are missing a very key point - and that’s that Lundqvist himself might not be happy with an increasingly diminished role.

Forget age, or how close to his prime he is, or him not retiring to save the Rangers a trade, or his commitment to a rebuild, etc.

If we focus on just the player himself, I question whether a soon to be 38 year old goalie with young kids wants to go through all the prep work just to see 45 games a season become 35, become 30, etc.

That, more than anything else, will be the biggest factor in whether he finishes this contract.

I’m just convinced JD is going to hold Georgiev through this and Henrik moves to San Jose for a year.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
That is not hyperbole and has nothing to do with being a fan or not a fan. Those teams go nowhere unless he is there to cover up the warts.
I know you're convinced of that and I already said the team was between a rock and a hard place with Hank's contract.
Luckily, its almost over and the rebuild can continue.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Why would you send down Georgiev though? He's younger and way more proven than Shesterkin. Doesn't make any sense....

It wouldn't have been a PR controversy to send Georgiev down to get some starts in while they "take a look" at Shestyorkin who earned a look. I think everyone would have accepted that as reasonable personnel management because Georgiev is (was) waiver exempt and Lundqvist is not. Instead we now have this three goalie rotation which is objectively awkward even though all three goalies are being huge sports about it.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
What Hank needs to do is evaluate how much longer he thinks he’s gonna play and whether he’s willing to do that as a backup/spot starter on a much reduced contract when the current one is over.

Because if he’s willing to play second fiddle to Shesterkin and take a small contract, he can play till he’s 45 as our backup and maybe see another Cup run.

If he only wants to play another year or two, and he’s thinking about hanging em up when his current contract is over, he might as well agree to a trade now. Even if he doesn’t agree to a trade and wants to finish his career here, there is no point in making any move based on what he wants cause he has one season left since this season is already one we want to have end outside the playoffs.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hank needs to be a team player and waive his NTC.

Let himself get the last chance to win the cup and let the organization to keep two good young goalies.
Yeah.....that happens every day.

What team is he going to that needs a starting goalie? Or should he waive his NTC and get traded to be back up and never see the light of day in the playoffs?

How exactly is he not being a "team player"?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It wouldn't have been a PR controversy to send Georgiev down to get some starts in while they "take a look" at Shestyorkin who earned a look. I think everyone would have accepted that as reasonable personnel management because Georgiev is (was) waiver exempt and Lundqvist is not. Instead we now have this three goalie rotation which is objectively awkward even though all three goalies are being huge sports about it.
Even if you were to do that, it eventually catches up to you as I think the plan included Shesterkin playing in the AHL All Star game and playing in the AHL playoffs. Not to mention that they do not want to hurt his possible trade value.

Again, is this ideal? No. But it is playing with the hand that was dealt. Shesterkin's play forced Gorton's hand, plain and simple. No one wanted the topic of him even using his escape clause to come up. So you get what you get. Ideal? No. But it is what it is given what reality dictated.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
To you there was an option to do that. That was never in the coaching or management's plans. As such, it was not an option.

It's a valid point to raise in the context of discussing whether management has handled the situation well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad