Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
As someone who has played goalie, that’s a tougher shot to save than you’re making it out.

That shot would have beaten most goalies imo. It was an absolute f***ing bomb from a very good shooter.

The rule of thumb is if we can see it, we should save it. I watched the replay of that goal probably 20 times in various speeds. The puck was 100% knuckling which makes it extremely difficult to track, especially when it has the speed and velocity that it had.

Pay attention to the puck in this replay at the 30 second mark. It’s just a wicked freaking rotation.

For those saying Hank dropped down before the shot was taken — try opening your eyes, or watching replays.

View attachment 357503 View attachment 357504 View attachment 357505

Again, I think most people that played goalie would agree we should save what we can see. But some shots are almost impossible to save.

Watch the replay in different angles. Hank was tracking that well until it started knuckling. From when that puck left Svech’s stick to when it was in the back of the net was literally, a blink of the eye.

Sometimes you just have to give the shooter credit, instead of blame the goalie.

Eli Manning syndrome is no different than Hank syndrome. The player is done and riding the legacy of yesterday with the same fans defending play they would rip another goalie for.

No matter how bad he looks the excuses continue. Why? Oh, b/c he was once good . So the puck was knucking isn’t his fault but give him credit for the multiple pucks he stopped yet looked behind him b/c he lost the puck? Wasn’t luck? Nope, it must have been, yet again, taking some time to work on both his mental and physical game while away. Please, pass the Kool Aid as the first goal of each of the past playoff starts must have been flukes too.

Eli/Hank syndrome is nothing more than not acknowledging the player is old and done.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Hank misplayed the above play but was not a soft goal, top of circle is absolutely high danger on top of being a one-timer from a high-end shooter. The shot wasn't roofed though and he reacted oddly to the knuckling and went for dip. Timely goal for Carolina and really unfortunate for the Rangers. Hank hasn't been sharp overall though, neither have been his teammates.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
The first goal was not good but it ends there. Hank also made some spectacular saves after some bad giveaways. He wasnt the reason they lost. The hurricanes dominated possession and gave the rangers nothing.

Doesnt matter who the goalie is, the canes are outclassing the rangers right now.

Sucks that these are probably his last in a Rangers jersey. Long live the King.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Eli Manning syndrome is no different than Hank syndrome. The player is done and riding the legacy of yesterday with the same fans defending play they would rip another goalie for.

No matter how bad he looks the excuses continue. Why? Oh, b/c he was once good . So the puck was knucking isn’t his fault but give him credit for the multiple pucks he stopped yet looked behind him b/c he lost the puck? Wasn’t luck? Nope, it must have been, yet again, taking some time to work on both his mental and physical game while away. Please, pass the Kool Aid as the first goal of each of the past playoff starts must have been flukes too.

Eli/Hank syndrome is nothing more than not acknowledging the player is old and done.
What the hell are you even talking about here? Cut the Manning Bullshit, it literally has nothing to do with anything — especially considering I’m not a Giants fan who’s caught up with what’s been discussed about him.

And what koolaid are you talking about? I 100% blame Hank for that 1st goal he gave up. I 100% agree with the fact that Hank is no longer our best goalie. I 100% agree his play has declined due to Father Time.

You’re possibly confusing me with Lundqvist/Manning fanboys who can’t call a spade a spade.

If you took the time to read anything I said, I was purely dissecting that specific goal he gave up because, people like yourself who clearly have an agenda, are immune to facts.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
What the hell are you even talking about here? Cut the Manning Bullshit, it literally has nothing to do with anything — especially considering I’m not a Giants fan who’s caught up with what’s been discussed about him.

lol - posters like you might want to look into the history in this thread than blindly chime in as if there is no history.

not reading the rest of your post. I’m sure it’s nothing more than defending Hank as if i have some vendetta against the guy rather than recognize he’s old and the game has passed him bye. He let in two bad goals and looked behind him on some softies in a must win game.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

:laugh:

I don't understand how one person can have so many consistently awful takes.

Anyway, what's way more annoying than the people that defend literally everything Lundqvist does are people like you, who don't seem to understand why people have the attachment to Lundqvist that they do, and who seemingly rejoice in his failings and fight to get to the front of the line to throw the first shovel of dirt on his grave.

Makes sense, though. Francesa made a career out of being a bloviating asshole and you're clearly going for the same shtick. You're good at it! It suits you.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
lol - posters like you might want to look into the history in this thread than blindly chime in as if there is no history.

not reading the rest of your post. I’m sure it’s nothing more than defending Hank as if i have some vendetta against the guy rather than recognize he’s old and the game has passed him bye.
Yes - he’s old and passed his time. I agree with that.

That doesn’t mean he gave up a weak goal though. That’s the point I’m trying to make here.

And what’s been discussed in this thread isn’t relative to post I directed your way. At least have the decency to take the time and understand what someone is trying to discuss with you without throwing up your fists ready to throw haymakers, lol.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
As someone who has played goalie, that’s a tougher shot to save than you’re making it out.

That shot would have beaten most goalies imo. It was an absolute f***ing bomb from a very good shooter.

The rule of thumb is if we can see it, we should save it. I watched the replay of that goal probably 20 times in various speeds. The puck was 100% knuckling which makes it extremely difficult to track, especially when it has the speed and velocity that it had.

Pay attention to the puck in this replay at the 30 second mark. It’s just a wicked freaking rotation.

For those saying Hank dropped down before the shot was taken — try opening your eyes, or watching replays.

View attachment 357503 View attachment 357504 View attachment 357505

Again, I think most people that played goalie would agree we should save what we can see. But some shots are almost impossible to save.

Watch the replay in different angles. Hank was tracking that well until it started knuckling. From when that puck left Svech’s stick to when it was in the back of the net was literally, a blink of the eye.

Sometimes you just have to give the shooter credit, instead of blame the goalie.

Exactly. Well put. Clearly not an easy save or one he blew.

Reactions: Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I disagree, he dropped when he should have stayed up, the puck was never going to be a low shot, why was he going down? It 100% was a shot he should have had.
He couldn’t track the puck because it was a rocket that was knuckling.

It’s why some knuckleball pitchers can have great success in baseball. But those pitches are coming around 55-70mph.

That blast from Svech was probably in the mid 90’s. It looks like HL is tracking it well initially, but the puck just keeps elevating at an unusual velocity.

Hank is, and has been guilty of dropping too early throughout his career. But not on that specific play.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Exactly. Well put. Clearly not an easy save or one he blew.
When I first saw the goal, I was pissed that HL gave up another goal. But the beauty of replays allows us the opportunity of dissecting things we can’t really notice immediately.

It wasn’t until I watched the replay repeatedly at different angles and different speeds to realize how that shot beat him.

I give credit to Svech. Kid is a hell of a hockey player and that shot was a freaking rocket.

Reactions: haveandare

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This team has been so goddamn awful I don’t understand how anyone could be blaming one guy. They’ve been dogshit up and down.

People assume if Igor played they would be up 2-0 in this series. Maybe Igor stops one or two of those bad goals Hank couldn’t? They’d still lose. Offense has decided not to show up, and the Defense has been atrocious in front of Hank.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Put Shestyorkin in tomorrow and NYR will miraculously turn it around
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.png

Reactions: McSauer and LokiDog

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
People assume if Igor played they would be up 2-0 in this series. Maybe Igor stops one or two of those bad goals Hank couldn’t? They’d still lose. Offense has decided not to show up, and the Defense has been atrocious in front of Hank.

Igor handles the puck better and can help develop an offensive play. (you know that)

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Dunno if the clip is floating around anywhere, but NBC had Cory Schneider on their broadcast for the game. He broke down that shot that beat Hank over the shoulder really well. It's one of those things where you're expecting a certain kind of velocity and placement and suddenly you get this off-speed knuckler that's hard to track coming off the stick. It's hardly an easy scenario for any goalie.

Hank would like that first one back for sure, but he's kept these games closer than they should've been.

Reactions: Captain Monglobster

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I'm assuming Shesterkin injured something. He's unfit for play and was in the stands watching the game. The NHL is reporting zero covid cases in the bubble so obviously it's not that.
I think Hank has been decent. Not spectacular but most of the goals were tough ones to have stopped. He's really playing better than I though he would have. I was imagining like 4-5 goals against each night. I was also thinking we'd be scoring 4-6 goals a night too but I was sadly mistaken there.
At the end of the day, you have to just look at the scoreboard. The offense just isn't there. We have 3 goals in two games. That is enough for great goalies but no one is mistakening Hank as great anymore.
Would love Shesty to jump in and turn everything around. At the very least, not get swept. Consolation #1 would be to lose in 5 and take our 12.5

Reactions: yrrebbor

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
He couldn’t track the puck because it was a rocket that was knuckling.

It’s why some knuckleball pitchers can have great success in baseball. But those pitches are coming around 55-70mph.

That blast from Svech was probably in the mid 90’s. It looks like HL is tracking it well initially, but the puck just keeps elevating at an unusual velocity.

Hank is, and has been guilty of dropping too early throughout his career. But not on that specific play.

He moved away from where it was going, and moved towards a spot it was never going to go, it would have had to drop 2 feet to require him to go down at all, it was a bad goal.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He moved away from where it was going, and moved towards a spot it was never going to go, it would have had to drop 2 feet to require him to go down at all, it was a bad goal.

I feel like I work for NASA and some Walmart cashier is trying to lecture me on Galactic research right now. Seriously.

Like... SERIOUSLY. That’s how cringeworthy your post is.

As a goalie, knucklepucks don’t necessarily follow the rules a normal puck should adhere to. Sometimes it dips, ducks, dives, and reacts the way it shouldn’t.

You would understand this if you ever played goalie — but you clearly haven’t. You’re just an outsider trying to make pretend he knows anything about the inside.

That shot had so much power and velocity, that HL literally has a blink of an eye to make a decision.

As someone who has hated HL’s natural reaction to drop to his knees early, that wasn’t the case here.

As far as the puck having to drop down two whole freaking feet before beating HL, I think it might be time to visit your local ophthalmologist. You’re blinder than Helen Keller if you think this is two feet:

94175594-9708-4A73-9730-09560CF187CA.png
59BE1675-F04D-4187-8D5C-6ACDBCC552BA.png
65A6CEBC-2183-4102-9355-105EF5CF5B32.jpeg

DOES THAT HONESTLY LOOK LIKE 2 FEET TO YOU?

That’s probably around 2 inches.

I’ll say it again. Cringeworthy post. Like, embarrassingly bad...

2 feet he says..... :facepalm:

Reactions: JCProdigy

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
look guys, that knuckler was a difficult shot to save, but can we be real here. I love lundqvist but his time has to be done now. He has let in many soft goals throughout these two games. He drops to his knees way to often when he should stay standing and make the easy save, also those backhanders, you HUG the post. Its one of the first things you learn when youre a goalie besides being in position. I mean he started both games by giving up a bad goal, and vally stated it best in the post game. When youre team sees your goalie give in soft goals especially within the first five minutes of the game, its disheartening to the players and team and you CAN NOT be constantly trying to play from behind especially in playoff games.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
look guys, that knuckler was a difficult shot to save, but can we be real here. I love lundqvist but his time has to be done now. He has let in many soft goals throughout these two games. He drops to his knees way to often when he should stay standing and make the easy save, also those backhanders, you HUG the post. Its one of the first things you learn when youre a goalie besides being in position. I mean he started both games by giving up a bad goal, and vally stated it best in the post game. When youre team sees your goalie give in soft goals especially within the first five minutes of the game, its disheartening to the players and team and you CAN NOT be constantly trying to play from behind especially in playoff games.
Please explain what you mean when you say HL has let in many soft goals these 2 games.

I see 1. The first goal tonight. That was a piss poor goal to give up against a team that plays like a rock with the lead.

I don’t see any other soft goals though. 2+3 in G1 were not on Hank.

The 2nd goal tonight looked like it might have been a bad goal until you actually look and acknowledge Svech’s goal.

3rd goal tonight was a collapse from ADA clearing it, and then Chytil missing it leaving a tap-In play down low.

4th goal was Strome having an extra chromosome at the blue line and giving up a 2-on-1 goal against the last two Canes player you want to give up a 2-on-1 against. And they executed it perfectly.

Hanks let in 1 really bad goal this series. Not, numerous softees.

I’m not suggesting that HL hasn’t declined. Or, that he’s our best goalie going forward. Give me Shestorkin all day. I had him ranked highest on our prospect pool 2 years ago after everyone got on the Kravtsov bandwagon. Or even the start Of this season when everyone was pumping up Kakko. Shesty was still #1 in my list.

It’s not about that In this thread though. It’s the fact that posters are trying to blame HL for giving up goals most goalies would, and then wrongfully labeling some of them as softees.

That’s my issue here.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
This team has been so goddamn awful I don’t understand how anyone could be blaming one guy. They’ve been dogshit up and down.
This sums it up.

As a team, we’re being completely outplayed by a better and deeper team.

1 goal tonight. On a 5-3. Yeah, it would have been nice if Shesty, or prime Lundqvist played tonight. But we still lose with either of those guys in net.

After 3+ decades of cheering for this team, Hank is my all time favorite. He’s surpassed the love and appreciation I have for two other Rangers — Leetch, and Richter.

I have no problem admitting the obvious with Hank now. It hurts, but it’s the truth.

Despite this, I can’t sit here and read people blaming him for things that are ultimately 99% out of his control.

I’d love to see him retire. It would really help the team, and as big a HL fan I am, nothing is more important than the team going forward. But let’s relax with this false narrative that Lundqvist is responsible for the hole we’re currently in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad