Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Ride the hot hand no matter who he is. I love Hank, but Shesty is the future. We're playing with house money in this qualifier. If we win, great. If not, we got a chance at Lafraniere.

No goaltender is hot. If we made the playoffs as normal, Shesterkin would be the slam dunk choice. Neither goalie has played a competitive game in months. How Shesterkin was playing in March is irrelevant after over 3 months off.

A well rested Henrik, with his playoff pedigree, could do very well in the playoffs this year. Regardless if Shesterkin is the future.

If Quinn was impartial, whoever had the best camp should he starting the first game. Whoever looks most game ready. I don't know if the Islanders game gave any insight into that.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
No goaltender is hot. If we made the playoffs as normal, Shesterkin would be the slam dunk choice. Neither goalie has played a competitive game in months. How Shesterkin was playing in March is irrelevant after over 3 months off.

A well rested Henrik, with his playoff pedigree, could do very well in the playoffs this year. Regardless if Shesterkin is the future.

If Quinn was impartial, whoever had the best camp should he starting the first game. Whoever looks most game ready. I don't know if the Islanders game gave any insight into that.
I think Hank looked better than Igor, Igor was flopping around and moving quite frantically, out of position, and looked nowhere near as composed as Hank did. Hank stopped a few unexpected shots off of really quick turnovers and looked very locked in

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I think Hank looked better than Igor, Igor was flopping around and moving quite frantically, out of position, and looked nowhere near as composed as Hank did. Hank stopped a few unexpected shots off of really quick turnovers and looked very locked in
You seem to watch entirely different games compared to the rest of us.Igor was flopping around frantically?lol

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
So, choosing a goalie who has been in a car accident with micro fractures in his ribs is the better way to go, so soon, eh? Talk about wishful thinking. Talk about desperation. Or picking the goalie who in no way has been better than him (Georgiev), only being younger, is the better way to go? Then you re-heat Lundqvist like Han Solo's frozen body in Jabba the Hut's lair to play, only to lambast him that he's sluggish (no shit?), is the way to go, only to put him back in cryo sleep.

Sure, he isn't prime Lundqvist anymore, but he has tried to hold together an absolute kindergarden of a team for years now. Sure, just as dysfunctional as many previous teams, but he's not 28 any longer. His recipe for performing for him is workload, but NYR can't give him a workload. Apparently starting goalies doesn't exist as a working concept anymore. I don't know why, honestly.

And now when the team actually plays like an actual team, Lundqvist's put in the Jabba the Hut cryo freeze. Just great. Who in their right mind would believe Shesty would have the numbers he had, if he played behind the clown team of the first half of the season? They were statistically worse than Detroit and the Kings, but Lundqvist was at the top of advanced goalie stats. He couldn't hold the fort for more than 2 months and in a couple of months more, he's apparently more useless than Marc Staal.

NYR has dug this grave themselves. Georgiev is in no way a better goalie than even a 38 year old Lundqvist, but he STILL hasn't had a chance to get into his zone, ever, in this season. No trust from management. Every bad game and you're in the cold. So there you go. Lundqvist has always played with the trust from upper management, now he's always seen as something the cat dragged in.

The first time the NYR team actually played like a team capable of legitimately winning games, they went with Shesty. Wow, such a tough time for him. NOT. He's a really promising goalie, but you have to stop hyping him yet. Let Shesty play behind a kindergarden team of a period before you hail him as the next Jesus.

I know it's a long strategical move, but I can in no way be sad if the Rangers miss the playoffs this year. It's what they asked for, especially considering the goalie situation with this ridiculous "it's a day to day thing."

The last time Lundqvist played behind a team with some structure was... a really long time ago. When they actually got it, he was eating popcorn.

So why even f***ing pretend they try to get into the playoffs? They're not. So they won't get in. After two months, Lundqvist was the best goalie in the NHL by advanced statistics. That's apparently useless a couple of months later. If NYR would go with Lundqvist and give him the workhorse standard, he could carry them if he doesn't play behind a kindergarden, but of course they don't care about this season.

Like I've said, this is so much classic NYR treatment of former HHOF players. It's disgraceful.

Hank has been really great

Reactions: Allan92

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Practically humiliated in his final playoff-game - or is he going to be back tomorrow?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Criticizing Lundqvist at this point is like smacking your 15 year old dog on the nose for making a mess on the carpet. He's 38, and he's starting because the #1 is injured. Let it be.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Practically humiliated in his final playoff-game - or is he going to be back tomorrow?
First goal was bad. Second would have been scored on almost anyone imo, just a very good shot in a very difficult area for a goalie. Third was borderline, could have been prevented with more patience probably but it was a messy breakdown all around. Fourth was a big lateral move and a very hard shot, maybe Igor would have stopped it because he’s particularly good at that movement but it wasn’t a bad goal by any means.

Wouldn’t say he was humiliated. Team was outplayed all over and he let in a terrible goal to start

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Criticizing Lundqvist at this point is like smacking your 15 year old dog on the nose for making a mess on the carpet. He's 38, and he's starting because the #1 is injured. Let it be.

Take that 15 year old dog for a long run b/c he used to be a puppy too. The thread and point has been made for over a year.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU

And the owner can't realize that it's time to say goodbye... The owner still wants this dog to participate in another exhibition...

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
the short side was soft but I don't think the rest were his fault. he was good these two games the rest of the team was shit. doesn't deserve to go out like this.

i am hoping geo gets traded this summer and we have a hank farewell tour next year - he still has the goods. shesty is the future and should start tomorrow if he really is not injured.

Reactions: haveandare

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
the short side was soft but I don't think the rest were his fault. he was good these two games the rest of the team was shit. doesn't deserve to go out like this.

i am hoping geo gets traded this summer and we have a hank farewell tour next year - he still has the goods. shesty is the future and should start tomorrow if he really is not injured.

two of the goals today were soft. The short side and right over his shoulder (he missed it lol)

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
First goal was bad. Second would have been scored on almost anyone imo, just a very good shot in a very difficult area for a goalie. Third was borderline, could have been prevented with more patience probably but it was a messy breakdown all around. Fourth was a big lateral move and a very hard shot, maybe Igor would have stopped it because he’s particularly good at that movement but it wasn’t a bad goal by any means.

Wouldn’t say he was humiliated. Team was outplayed all over and he let in a terrible goal to start

No screen or deflection and from the top of the circle isn’t a “bad goal by any means” lol. Yeah, it wasn’t bad, it was awful.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It was right over his blocker shoulder - not an easy stop at all.

your excuses are embarrassing. There was no screen and no deflection. The post game hammered him too. That’s no different than a 3rd baseman missing a line drive. Hank whiffed.

Reactions: THE JAM

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Obviously you've never played either position or you'd know how false this is.

Tell Valiquette who played goalie and disgarees with you while you obviously never a goalie either (or a bad one who bought into the excuses)

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Tell Valiquette who played goalie and disgarees with you while you obviously never a goalie either (or a bad one who bought into the excuses)
As someone who has played goalie, that’s a tougher shot to save than you’re making it out.

That shot would have beaten most goalies imo. It was an absolute f***ing bomb from a very good shooter.

The rule of thumb is if we can see it, we should save it. I watched the replay of that goal probably 20 times in various speeds. The puck was 100% knuckling which makes it extremely difficult to track, especially when it has the speed and velocity that it had.

Pay attention to the puck in this replay at the 30 second mark. It’s just a wicked freaking rotation.

For those saying Hank dropped down before the shot was taken — try opening your eyes, or watching replays.

450491A8-A13E-40BF-B9C2-351E949277CE.png
228CC2CB-DEC7-43BD-BB9A-9A1459341E97.png
1A3F63DA-4878-4D1E-9B61-7FE56685EEDE.png

Again, I think most people that played goalie would agree we should save what we can see. But some shots are almost impossible to save.

Watch the replay in different angles. Hank was tracking that well until it started knuckling. From when that puck left Svech’s stick to when it was in the back of the net was literally, a blink of the eye.

Sometimes you just have to give the shooter credit, instead of blame the goalie.

Reactions: haveandare
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad