Tribute Henrik Lundqvist Appreciation Thread

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Idk if it’s already been discussed but TSN produced a retrospective article on Hank
about why he deserved more Vezinas and is a 100% HoF lock using GSAA and WAR and how he laps the field in both categories during his career (2007-2020). Just proving what a lot of us already knew, best goalie of his generation AINEC and one of the best all time.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Idk if it’s already been discussed but TSN produced a retrospective article on Hank
about why he deserved more Vezinas and is a 100% HoF lock using GSAA and WAR and how he laps the field in both categories during his career (2007-2020). Just proving what a lot of us already knew, best goalie of his generation AINEC and one of the best all time.
It's ridiculous how far beyond his peers he was most seasons especially when you take into account the defense he often played behind and the shots they gave up. Also LOL @ this graph:

yost1.png

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He was completely ripped off in the Vezina department

basically hank was the second best goalie most seasons behind whichever flavor of the month had a career year. But there was never anyone consistently close to him

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Piggybacking off some of the previous comments about how incredible Lundqvist actually was here is a great breakdown from a Reddit post:

Again, I know some think saying his career was "wasted" is a hot take but Ranger's management was so bad they could not give Henrik a team just average enough to get the job done. It's ironic and sad that the team they are building now is about to be undoubtedly so good, Henrik would have probably won multiple 'Cups.

Edit: Didn't realize Reddit posts embedded. Whoops.

Oh yeah and the Canadian media and their obsession with Carey Price and Fluery can f*** right off as usual.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Same dude. My mind still wants to deny that he’s not a Ranger anymore. It feels more wrong than anything I’ve ever seen or gone through.
I'm in my 30s. I've watched my childhood heroes - Gretz, Mess, Leetch, Richter - all hang them up. This is worse. Hank is basically my age, but I saw him from the beginning. I remember the day we drafted him. I saw his first game, and now I've seen his last (as a Ranger). He was the last athlete keeping my childhood obsession of hockey and the Rangers alive. It's just really, really hard to come to terms with.

Reactions: Igor Shestyorkin

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just saw that--awful news. I hope that whatever he's suffering from, is something that he recovers from fully and quickly.

I hated the idea of seeing him in a Capitals sweater, but this just sucks.

Get better, King.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Brutal for him clearly had no idea he’s been ramping up as normal. Really Feel for him. If you wanted a sign to hang em up this is it. Not worth risking your life. He’s got a cushy job with us on lock.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
He’s done. If he’s not playing this year then he’s done. He’s already 38, turning 39 in March. If he’s not playing at all this season, you can be sure it’ll take him months to get in game shape. He’ll be close to 40 before playing another game.

More than anything I hope it doesn’t affect his daily life after hockey. I hope it can be fixed.

It really does suck with regards to the cap hit lol Best of luck to him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not that, but I am curious to know how medical experts on the Rangers missed a heart condition the doctors in DC found months later.
Definitely a good question. There are however many heart conditions that are acute--something that maybe didn't exist a few months ago, or maybe he had an underlying condition that was not presenting symptoms and therefore was not detected on any of the "usual" tests that they're doing. Who knows.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Definitely a good question. There are however many heart conditions that are acute--something that maybe didn't exist a few months ago, or maybe he had an underlying condition that was not presenting symptoms and therefore was not detected on any of the "usual" tests that they're doing. Who knows.

Yeah, I am not saying the Rangers are at fault for not noticing it per se. But short of an acute heart condition, you'd expect a billion dollar organization to be able to detect these conditions.

Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, just something that popped in my head. The buy out isn't going to be affected by this.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yeah, I am not saying the Rangers are at fault for not noticing it per se. But short of an acute heart condition, you'd expect a billion dollar organization to be able to detect these conditions.

Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, just something that popped in my head. The buy out isn't going to be affected by this.
No offense, but what does a “billion dollar organization” have to do with anything? They have been known to be a first class organization through and through, therefore I am sure they have the best doctors on retainer essentially. If the Doctor(s) miss this it would be on them, although I would not be finding fault with them either. Short of the Rangers organization, Henrik, and/or the Doctors hiding this, there is nothing to say other than it is extremely unfortunate and sad.

Reactions: WAIVE BRODZINSKI

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

The value of the organization isn't really relevant. Sometimes, conditions are undetectable until you become symptomatic, and the doctors then know something is wrong and to run really advanced tests to see what's happening. I have several men on my father's side of the family that died of this sudden cardiac failure, and there was never any warning--the only way (apparently) to truly know you're at risk for the condition is to see if you have the genetic marker.

If Henrik has something unusual or that wouldn't be caught through routine physical testing performed on athletes, and presented no symptoms, it wouldn't be surprising for it to go undiagnosed. It happens all the time, to people from all walks of life, those with access to poor medical care or the best medical care.

I don't see any reason to go questioning what the Rangers did or did not do right until/unless something that comes out which warrants further inquiry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad