Tribute Henrik Lundqvist Appreciation Thread

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So, I vote someone more talented photoshops Hank’s face here (or on any picture or Boromir) and we ALL use it as an avatar for a while.
9FA005D4-312A-4F67-A3D0-A27B596AD434.jpeg

Reactions: McD37

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Ridiculous how this franchise wasted his HoF career outside of one fluke year everything magically came together in 2013-2014, under the reigns of Alain the Brain Vignuts. Not even one of the best goalies in the history of the sport could overcome the incompetence of management and coaching for a decade.

Good luck Henrik, thanks for the great memories in spite of everything else.

'Waste' is very strong.

We had some fun seasons

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
The Pens and Rangers have rarely played a boring game against each other since Crosby/Malkin and Hank came into the league together and Hank always added a lot of color to those games. Gonna miss that.

Hopefully we can replace it with Crosby and Lafreniere dueling hat-tricks for a couple of years before father time rears his ugly head again.

Just wished Crosby didn’t dive leading to Hank calling him out :laugh:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I guess that dream of captain Mika refusing to lift the cup and making Hank do it first with tears rolling down his face is dead. Hank better have a job in this organization waiting for him, we’re still going to see him hoist the cup with the Rangers. Went from barely getting drafted in the 7th round to becoming the greatest Ranger of all time. Edit: I just spoke to my mom and I had the timeline wrong, I was very young at the time. My mom had just beaten inflammatory breast cancer and was then diagnosed with a brain hemorrhage and told she was going to die. So she took me on a trip to NYC to spend those last moments because I had always wanted to go there and I may have never got another chance to go with her. I’ll never forget that game I saw at MSG, Hank made 31 saves in a 1-0 shutout against my hometown Canucks.
swMZOhD.jpg

Thank you Hank!
Happy to hear your Mom beat the diagnosis :)

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Coincidentally, Henrik and my daughter were at The Garden on March 7, when Henrik appeared for the last time in New York as a Ranger.

I too happened to be at that game in some of the best seats I've ever sat in...just behind the glass on the visitor end. Not a great game, but was nice to see Hank appear in relief. Did think that it could be one of the last times I might see him in person. I'm pretty sure I caught Covid that night and was knocked on my ass for a month beginning the following Wednesday. But I'm still happy I will be able to say I was there at the end.

Wow, that's scary to hear. Hope you well now. My wife, daughter and Henrik went to the game, two Broadway shows (Harry Potter) road the subway and went to the Museum of Modern History and escaped unscathed.

Fixed. Sorry @broadwayblue

Randomly enough, I was there as well. Happened to be in town for my aunt's 90th bday party & my buddy was kind enough to offer me his seats.

My first game at MSG since opening night in 2011 when the renovation was only completed on the lower bowl. Of course, luck would have it, Mika scores 5 goals the game before & the team was totally flat after Mika netted another in the first period. But I remember telling my GF, who was enjoying her first game at MSG, that we were fortunate enough to see both the King & the Tsar in the same game. I figured it was probably the last time I would get to see Hank live at MSG, but I had no idea it would be his last game at MSG.

I was lucky enough to escape the NYC area the next day, free & clear with no Covid issues. The following week was when it blew up there. Glad to hear you kicked it, broadwayblue.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
The ONLY one that comes to mind is game 6 vs. Tampa. There are probably three or four dozen where we couldn't score more than 2 goals.

That Game 7 vs Washington in 2013 where we won 5-0 (Based Arron Asham). Still can't believe they waxed a team like that considering what we are used to lol.

For reference, Hank played 33 career playoff games against the Capitals. 25 of them were decided by a single goal :laugh:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
That Game 7 vs Washington in 2013 where we won 5-0 (Based Arron Asham). Still can't believe they waxed a team like that considering what we are used to lol.

For reference, Hank played 33 career playoff games against the Capitals. 25 of them were decided by a single goal :laugh:

For those who grew up on 80s WWF like me; Rangers-Caps was like the Ultimate Warrior vs. Rick Rude rivalry.

I'd say Austin-Rock but I really don't like rewatching late 90s WWF wrestling; a zillion punches and not much else.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
I really didnt want to post here. But i feel that ihave to.

We always took Hanks greatness for granted, and he stole so many games and even playoff series for us.

This organisation really made him work for it, day by day, game by game.

Im glad to have seen some of his best games at the garden.

Lets just not expect Igor to be what Hank was.. sure he has potential, but its not an easy spot to replace.

I really hope Hank gets a legit shot at a cup, and then a Alfredsson kind of deal where he gets to come home and play one last game at the Garden.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Brooks' tribute is really touching and gets at much of what I most admired about Henrik. As much as we the fans wanted to see better players in front of him, Henrik never spoke about his team and his teammates with anything less than the utmost respect. He always shouldered the blame for a loss because more often than not the margin was always razor thin and a single mistake iced it against us. But that was his margin for a decade and a half, a margin he turned into 10 straight seasons in the top 6 Vezina voting, 12 straight 30 win seasons (prorating the 2012 lockout season, and a stand alone record in NHL history), 11 postseason appearances (12 if you want to count this year), 3 conference finals, and a Finals appearance wherein 3 OT games (2 in double OT) made the difference.

I never played goal, and my Rangers fandom was my inheritance. I was born five months after the 94' championship, but some of my earliest memories are of watching the 97' team in their run to the Conference Finals. So Henrik didn't make me love hockey. But what he did do was introduce me to ways of seeing the game which I never could have otherwise. It was clear almost from minute one that he was a special player--maybe unlike any I had ever seen and perhaps will ever see in a Rangers' uniform. Here was a player who defined a franchise, who as a single player brought a team to relevance and beyond, who challenged every assumption ever made about his position and re-defined what an NHL goaltender could be and was capable of.

As analysis of the sport leans more and more heavily on new and developing statistics, one thing that has caught my attention is the now standard take that 'goaltending is voodoo.' People have mentioned here already, but it's worth repeating and insisting upon how, across Henrik Lundqvist's career, no catchphrase could be farther from the truth. It always bothered me growing up watching Henrik when people would laugh at the suggestion that he was in the same tier of player as Ovechkin and Crosby--generational. But the fact is, he absolutely was. Just as, from day one you could go into any season, no matter the roster surrounding them, no matter the preseason predictions in the standings, you could say, OV hits 50, Crosby hits 100, and Lundqvist gets his 30 (and his .920). No other player at his position was so consistent. No other goalie achieved so much with so little breathing room. And just like his never winning a championship or his single Vezina, his legacy will always be undercut by those who never watched him game-in and game-out as we did.

Henrik is the greatest athlete I have had the privilege of watching from beginning to end, and I'm heartbroken--not because of what he 'failed' to do, not because he was bought out or how his career has ended with us, but because of the simple fact that it's over.

A seventh round pick. A goalie. But absolutely not a player that came up short, not in any way in my mind. Henrik Lundqvist spent his career defining success: at his position, as a Ranger, as an ambassador, as a part of the New York Metro area community, as a leader...

I wish I could shake people to see what this man was, but the truth is, you had to watch. That was the gift we all we blessed with as Rangers' fans for fifteen years. We got to watch. Every game we had a chance to win. Every sure goal stopped. Every margin realized. And now, we won't see another.

A good goaltender gives his team a chance. Lundqvist gave us so much more than that. Cheers to you on an unbelievable career. To my mind the greatest Ranger of all-time and among the pantheon of the defining players of his generation, of his position, and of New York City pro sports.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Ridiculous how this franchise wasted his HoF career outside of one fluke year everything magically came together in 2013-2014, under the reigns of Alain the Brain Vignuts. Not even one of the best goalies in the history of the sport could overcome the incompetence of management and coaching for a decade.

Good luck Henrik, thanks for the great memories in spite of everything else.

Well I think you have to give 'em 2014-2015 too. President's trophy, losing in the semi-finals in game seven with a defense held together by duct tape.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well I think you have to give 'em 2014-2015 too. President's trophy, losing in the semi-finals in game seven with a defense held together by duct tape.

And missing a top-5 regular season scorer. Teams rarely win it all when one of those go down.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

7 of them came in one series. 25 TOTAL goals scored in that series between the two teams. The greatest goalie duel in NHL history.

Games 2-6 in 2012 where also all one goal games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad