Tribute Henrik Lundqvist Appreciation Thread

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Pens fan in peace and I'm going to miss seeing Lundqvist in Broadway Blue. Battles between Crosby/Hank will bring good solace for me at least. Never truly got the recognition he deserved bc of Torts system despite the fact Hank was the reason the Rags were so f***ing good.
I mean I guess it’s fine. Nothing against you, but I’m still kind of salty about Hank losing against the Penguins all those times and would like to not be reminded of that during this time

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I always thought that Girardi had a pretty underrated shot and underrated offensive instincts. He didn’t have the puck skills though. Those two aspects of his game (poor puck skills but good offensive instincts) kind of remind me of Hajek.
Yeah, Girardi was weird offensively.

Couldn't pass 5 feet in a straight line but he had a very good shot and high offensive IQ.

I hope we can get something out of Hajek although I do have my concerns.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey

Couldn't pass 5 feet in a straight line but he had a very good shot and high offensive IQ.

Haha yea exactly. Weird offensively is a good way to describe it. I don’t really like Hajek as a prospect, and think Rangers fans have overrated him for a while, but his skating gives me some hope. I think you were the one who said this, but if you can skate, there’s a place for you. Or something along those lines.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
For someone who wasn't alive during the 94 run and luckily too young to remember the dark ages, Henrik was my childhood. First jersey I ever owned, and main reason I love this game as much as I do. I literally cannot imagine a team that does not include #30. Thank you for everything and please go somewhere where you have a chance to win a cup.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For someone who wasn't alive during the 94 run and luckily too young to remember the dark ages, Henrik was my childhood. First jersey I ever owned, and main reason I love this game as much as I do. I literally cannot imagine a team that does not include #30. Thank you for everything and please go somewhere where you have a chance to win a cup.
I kinda feel the same in a way.

I *vaguely* remember things about '94 and I definitely remember the Dark Ages but I was too young to appreciate how good and how bad they were, respectively.

As a teenager, an adult, and as an HF member, when I really become fully invested, Hank was a constant.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Girardi was legitimately probably the best defenseman in his time on the Rangers at knowing when to activate offensively. Very smart and knowing when to effectively pinch, when to effectively jump into the rush and when to cycle down low.

It makes no sense considering the type of player he was but he was legitimately super good at it.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Girardi was legitimately probably the best defenseman in his time on the Rangers at knowing when to activate offensively. Very smart and knowing when to effectively pinch, when to effectively jump into the rush and when to cycle down low.

It makes no sense considering the type of player he was but he was legitimately super good at it.

And a point I feel that needs to be made is that he was undrafted!

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
His Ranger career ending this way sucks.
Years of performing circus acts and dragging this team on his back.
His best years were behind overperforming second and third line grinders and underperforming "superstars".

Reactions: Rangerfans

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
As a Jersey boy, and a goalie myself, it's been an absolute privilege to watch Hank over the years. This guy was basically your Sundin and I really feel for Blueshirts fans. Lord knows the King had the Leafs' number over the years.

Here's to an all time great, and to another generation of hockey.

:cheers:

mti79

May 11, 2007
Sad day. He's been a fixture for 15 years. Started dating my now wife in August of 2005 and she became a Rangers fan. She doesn't know the team without him. Hell, I'm not sure I remember it. He made this team relevant when it probably shouldn't have been. It sucks that we weren't able to win the Cup with him. Henrik exuded nothing but class as he has represented the rangers for a decade and a half.

I was holding out hope the the reports of the buyout weren't true, but alas the day has come and the King's throne has been vacated.

October 8, 2016, my wife and I welcomed twin boys into our lives. One of them is Henry. Named for the King of New York. Coincidentally, Henrik made his NHL debut on October 8, 2005. I'm trying to figure out how to explain to an almost 4 year old why good favorite player isn't on the team anymore. And he may only be 3, but he knows Lundqvist and knows he's number 30 so I won't be able to pass Shesty off as him. Lol.

Thank you for everything Henrik. Long live the King.

Side note: other son Andrew (Drew Brees as I'm also a die hard Saints fan) decided his favorite player was Buch. If they trade him, I'm not going to know what to do....

Attachments

• IMG_20200818_164823.jpg
    IMG_20200818_164823.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 5

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
One of the sad parts about his career is that he was basically the only goalie who stayed in the top-5, year in and year out, but there was always some goalie who happened to have a "holy shit" season, so he didn't win as many Vezinas as he might have.

I checked the Vezina list for my post and it made me want to puke. The year Holtby won, Hank didn’t even get a vote.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
I feel like you have an appreciation thread for Marc Staal, who put an impressive amount of blood, sweat, and tears into the Rangers.

Hank, though. You don't appreciate a franchise defining player like Hank. You just build a f***ing statue.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
What was he, 2-2 against the Penguins in playoff series?
I’m not sure, but the important thing is that our victories over the Penguins didn’t lead to a Cup in Hank’s time here, while the Penguins’ victories did. So ultimately our wins against them, as much as I hate to say it, are meaningless. You should also know that I’m not blaming Hank for our losses at all, and everyone knows that he carried this team for a long time, but you win and lose as a team. I just didn’t like that the guy reminded me of those losses.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
As far as I can recall looking back on Lundqvist's career, he played behind a grand total of 3 Hall of Famers (technically 2 because Jagr isn't in yet). Shanahan and St. Louis are the others, and those guys weren't Rangers for long. Most years he didn't have any future HOFers as teammates. And not a single defenseman. What was the last Stanley Cup winning team to not have a HOF (or future HOF) skater?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hail to the King!
Hail to the One!
Kneel to the Crown!
Stand in the Sun!
Hail to the King!

(Avenged Sevenfold)

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Ridiculous how this franchise wasted his HoF career outside of one fluke year everything magically came together in 2013-2014, under the reigns of Alain the Brain Vignuts. Not even one of the best goalies in the history of the sport could overcome the incompetence of management and coaching for a decade.

Good luck Henrik, thanks for the great memories in spite of everything else.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
My first post in here was in August of 2005 and my first question was in the prospect or the swedish elite leagues board asking how good was Henrik Lundqvist.

That very same year he comes over and takes over for Kevin Weekes about midway through the season and helps the Rangers get back into the playoffs since 1997. And he took over not because Weekes was bad but because Henrik was awesome. And the highlight of that year was when he made a save about 5 yards out of his crease, he was a fantastic young goalie and stayed excellent for such a long time.

I am sad that my lasting imagine was him lying flat on the ice by his crease after Martinez scored LAs game winning goal. I was so sad for him. I thought for sure the following season we would win the stanley cup with an even better team and yet fell short.

I was hoping he would stay with us for the rest of his career but I hope he goes to a contender. I hope we dont run into him in the Stanley Cup that would suck.

He is the greatest Ranger goaltender of all time, a first ballot hall of famer and a Ranger LEGEND. His number retirement should be announced the day after he retires from playing.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Sad day. He's been a fixture for 15 years. Started dating my now wife in August of 2005 and she became a Rangers fan. She doesn't know the team without him. Hell, I'm not sure I remember it. He made this team relevant when it probably shouldn't have been. It sucks that we weren't able to win the Cup with him. Henrik exuded nothing but class as he has represented the rangers for a decade and a half.

I was holding out hope the the reports of the buyout weren't true, but alas the day has come and the King's throne has been vacated.

October 8, 2016, my wife and I welcomed twin boys into our lives. One of them is Henry. Named for the King of New York. Coincidentally, Henrik made his NHL debut on October 8, 2005. I'm trying to figure out how to explain to an almost 4 year old why good favorite player isn't on the team anymore. And he may only be 3, but he knows Lundqvist and knows he's number 30 so I won't be able to pass Shesty off as him. Lol.

Thank you for everything Henrik. Long live the King.

Side note: other son Andrew (Drew Brees as I'm also a die hard Saints fan) decided his favorite player was Buch. If they trade him, I'm not going to know what to do....

Well thank goodness for Lafreniere and Kakko. Me thinks its gonna be a great era of Rangers hockey to grow up in.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I checked the Vezina list for my post and it made me want to puke. The year Holtby won, Hank didn’t even get a vote.

Yeah and if you look at the numbers behind each of the seasons among goalies it's even more sickening. Jobbed by Rangers management, jobbed by voting year in and out for Vezina. At least he was paid what he was worth.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I always thought that Girardi had a pretty underrated shot and underrated offensive instincts. He didn’t have the puck skills though. Those two aspects of his game (poor puck skills but good offensive instincts) kind of remind me of Hajek.
I recall a TV analyst saying that G was brought in as an offensive defenseman. Funny how things work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad