Tribute Henrik Lundqvist Appreciation Thread

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Trade Georgiev this off-season, bring back Hank next year on a 1 year deal to backup Igor? :D
I love Geo, but sign me up.

If Henrik ever skates onto the ice at MSG for an NHL game (regardless of for what team), I don't care how - I'm dropping everything and getting my ass to NY and getting a ticket.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Trade Georgiev this off-season, bring back Hank next year on a 1 year deal to backup Igor? :D

It's an interesting conspiracy theory.

NYR needed to get Hank's salary off the books this year, and knew he needed a heart operation, so they bought him out and let him sign with a different team to get paid but still sit the year out and recover. Then they begin to re-sign him to 1 year deals every summer to be the backup until he wants to retire.

Crazier things have happened, and it's an unlikely but entirely plausible theory.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It's an interesting conspiracy theory.

NYR needed to get Hank's salary off the books this year, and knew he needed a heart operation, so they bought him out and let him sign with a different team to get paid but still sit the year out and recover. Then they begin to re-sign him to 1 year deals every summer to be the backup until he wants to retire.

Crazier things have happened, and it's an unlikely but entirely plausible theory.

only problem with that theory is that if the rangers knew he needed heart surgery, the rangers could have put him on LTIR, freed up $8.5 mil in cap space instead of only $3 mil and paid hank his full salary instead of 2/3

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
only problem with that theory is that if the rangers knew he needed heart surgery, the rangers could have put him on LTIR, freed up $8.5 mil in cap space instead of only $3 mil and paid hank his full salary instead of 2/3
Yes, if that was the scheme, it was a pretty terrible scheme that just lost the NYR alot of cap money. There can be a hypothesis that because of signing with a new team there was a more extensive health checkup, but since Hank's heart issue was already well known and he had regular checkups, that is also unlikely. Like Hank said in his interview, his condition just got worse all of a sudden. I think his plan was to fix his heart after his career was over.

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
I really want him to play again in the NHL. This season!

edit: make a Hank marathon, I want two days worth of interviews. Also, that picture of his chest scar ... damn.

That is probably they best I have seen someone look so shortly after a sternotomy.

Hank most likely got a prosthetic mechanical valve which will require him to be on Warfarin (blood thinner) the rest of his life. He also received an aortic graft which is a prosthetic material that replaces part of his aorta.

He looks great and I am glad to see him doing well. One of my favorite athletes of all time.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Kevin Weeks may be the worst interviewer ever.

"Mmmm... Right... Yea... exactly... of course. "

Maybe ask a follow-up question that forces him to elaborate? Or shut the f*** up and let him talk?

haha i honestly kind of agree but i think they wanted a familiar face/friend to make it more personable

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

I couldn't see any way he would play this season anyway. Even if he was cleared, how are the Capitals going to play him when he hasn't played since August and they're in the stretch run heading towards the playoffs?

I hope his recovery goes well over the next few months and that he's able to come back next season and latch on somewhere. I know many would like to see him retire only having played for the Rangers but I see he still has the drive and I'd love nothing more than for him to have one last shot at the Cup.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
We took him for granted. Some of these saves.. Just, mind boggling shit.

As an old timer who watched Leetch throughout his career, I find myself having internal debates about who was the best Ranger, ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad