Hennessy vs O'Sullivan in the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
I think we can all agree that at the moment Patrick O'sullivan is a better prospect then Josh Hennessy but who do you think will be better in the future.

Here are arguments for both

O'Sullivan: Pure Sniper. Great wrist Shot, pretty good size, good wheels.
Scored over 40 goals the last 2 years in juniors

Hennessy: Patrick Roy compares him to Joe Sakic becuase of his overall skill (wrist shot, skating {he can fly}, vision) I think Steve Sullivan would be a better comparison at this moment but who knows.

NewHabsEra*

sharkyz15 said:
I think we can all agree that at the moment Patrick O'sullivan is a better prospect then Josh Hennessy but who do you think will be better in the future.

Hennessy: Patrick Roy compares him to Joe Sakic becuase of his overall skill (wrist shot, skating {he can fly}, vision) I think Steve Sullivan would be a better comparison at this moment but who knows.
I did'nt know Patrick was smoking weed...

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
sharkyz15 said:

O'Sullivan with out even thinking much about it. Hennessy is good but I am not sold on him making the transition to the NHL, O'Sullivan has a ton of talent and more than Hennessey.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
NewHabsArea said:
I did'nt know Patrick was smoking weed...

Patrick did not (to my knowledge) smoke anything and never said Henessy was the next Sakic or anything like that.

He said something to the effect that Henessy's style is in certain ways reminiscent of Sakic and in this respect, he is right.

The only thing Roy did wrong was to open his mouth because while his comments were accurate and understandable, this kind of stuff tends to be quoted out of context and then people read those quotes and make unfair comments exactly like you just did.

West19

Jul 19, 2004
O'Sullivan by far for the same reason as Brock everytime hes on the ice hes a threat to score

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Patrick did not (to my knowledge) smoke anything and never said Henessy was the next Sakic or anything like that.

He said something to the effect that Henessy's style is in certain ways reminiscent of Sakic and in this respect, he is right.

The only thing Roy did wrong was to open his mouth because while his comments were accurate and understandable, this kind of stuff tends to be quoted out of context and then people read those quotes and make unfair comments exactly like you just did.

Roy compared Hennessy to Joe Sakic (Roy’s former teammate on the Colorado Avalanche) for his passing ability, skating, wrist shot and vision — high praise from someone who knew Sakic well.

“He’s an all-around player,†Roy said. “He works hard to improve his (shooting) accuracy and faceoffs. He and Shkotov play extremely well together. He’s a very good skater, with good hands.â€
From an even more expertly credible point of view, Roy explained that goalies are afraid of Hennessy’s speed and vision.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/juniors/200403/report1.html

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
While I'd love to try to say that I think Hennessy is the better player, but that's just not true in my opinion.

O'Sullivan really seems to be turning things around in terms of focusing on hockey. The skill level has always been there, and hell, was probably enough for a top ten overall pick, and I think when he gets things completely in control he could be a top line kind of guy.

I tend to see Hennessy as a second line sort of player, more of a supporting role than a go to guy. I do think Hennessy could be a 25 goal scorer, but O'Sullivan can do more in the broader picture.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
sharkyz15 said:
Roy compared Hennessy to Joe Sakic (Roy’s former teammate on the Colorado Avalanche) for his passing ability, skating, wrist shot and vision — high praise from someone who knew Sakic well.

“He’s an all-around player,†Roy said. “He works hard to improve his (shooting) accuracy and faceoffs. He and Shkotov play extremely well together. He’s a very good skater, with good hands.â€
From an even more expertly credible point of view, Roy explained that goalies are afraid of Hennessy’s speed and vision.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/juniors/200403/report1.html

Why can't you understand that just because a player's style is similar to a great NHL'er, it doesn't mean that player will have the same impact in the NHL. You're guilty of doing exactly what Vlad says is the problem with player comparisons.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
cagney said:
Why can't you understand that just because a player's style is similar to a great NHL'er, it doesn't mean that player will have the same impact in the NHL. You're guilty of doing exactly what Vlad says is the problem with player comparisons.

WOW
First off lets make sure we stay under the legal limit :cheers:

Now,

I never said he wasnt comparing their styles of play. My prevous post was all quotes from the article. Dont come off aggresive on me. I never compared the 2.

please dont drink and drive folks :teach: :bonk: :cheers:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
By responding to Vlad's post the way you did the impression I got was that you were somehow trying to argue his point. If you weren't trying to do that, then what exactly were you trying to do?

X-SHARKIE

cagney said:
By responding to Vlad's post the way you did the impression I got was that you were somehow trying to argue his point. If you weren't trying to do that, then what exactly were you trying to do?

Relaxxxx jeeeez.

He was just showing what he saw from the article.

Plus Sharkyz never even said Hennessy well be the next Joe Sakic...he just said Roy compared the two.
I don't know why you guys are getting all bent out of shape for him using the nice coments from Roy.

thestonedkoala

Why are the cards against both?

O'Sullivan has grown leaps and bounds...

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
Flat-out, the cards are against most prospects (exceptions: Ovechkin, Crosby, etc.), no matter what we want to think about them. It's a given that O'Sullivan has grown leaps and bounds, but he and just about every prospect still has a lot of growing to do. Like I said, of the two, O'Sullivan has the more potential, and I hope that both do well in the NHL, but it's not likely.

~Crazed.

thestonedkoala

Why not?

O'Sullivan has learned to play a bit defensively, has offensive skill up the wing-wang, and should be considered a top prospect in the NHL. He might be tiny but he's not a *****...

I mean are the cards as Kostitsyn because of his medical conditions? Most people think he'll make it...so why can he and not O'Sullivan?

JeSuisReine

Feb 21, 2004
How are the cards stacked against Hennessy? [I am not doubting....I just don't know much about him]

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Hockeycrazed07 said:
Flat-out, the cards are against most prospects (exceptions: Ovechkin, Crosby, etc.), no matter what we want to think about them. It's a given that O'Sullivan has grown leaps and bounds, but he and just about every prospect still has a lot of growing to do. Like I said, of the two, O'Sullivan has the more potential, and I hope that both do well in the NHL, but it's not likely.

~Crazed.

I have to agree with Crazed here

Osullivan has grown but you could say the same for hennessy.

Osullivan and Hennessy for that matter should become good players but it will not be handed to them. They must work hard to be succesful and sometimes that is not enough. I think it's fair to say that O'sullivan has more potential then Hennessy, but not that he is going to be a better player until he actually shows it at the NHL level.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
JeSuisReine said:
How are the cards stacked against Hennessy? [I am not doubting....I just don't know much about him]

If you want to point out his flaws then you could say that he does not have ideal size, he needs to work on his D, just like any prospect not named milan michalek or Marcel Goc :) :) :lol

It's not like we have never seen a player have a succesful career in the CHL and never hear from him in the NHL.

Until Hennessy proves he is more then a grea junior player the odds will be agaiinst him.

JeSuisReine

Feb 21, 2004
sharkyz15 said:
If you want to point out his flaws then you could say that he does not have ideal size, he needs to work on his D, just like any prospect not named milan michalek or Marcel Goc :) :) :lol

It's not like we have never seen a player have a succesful career in the CHL and never hear from him in the NHL.

Until Hennessy proves he is more then a grea junior player the odds will be agaiinst him.

Ok thank you. That was all I was wondering, if it was meant that the cards were stacked against them just because of the odds of any player making it in the NHL or if there were other reasons.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
JeSuisReine said:
Ok thank you. That was all I was wondering, if it was meant that the cards were stacked against them just because of the odds of any player making it in the NHL or if there were other reasons.

Well both are verry good prospects and are still more likely to make it big then "Joe Shmo" but we cant assume that they will be great players

JeSuisReine

Feb 21, 2004
sharkyz15 said:
Well both are verry good prospects and are still more likely to make it big then "Joe Shmo" but we cant assume that they will be great players
nope, nothing is for certain. And I know they are both very good prospects that are more likely to make it than the average Joe Schmo [which for a canadian amature hockey player the chances of making it are 0.02%--I read that today, thought it was interesting, although, both O'Sullivan and Hennessy are american, so who knows for them ;)]

Last edited:

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
thestonedkoala said:
I mean are the cards as Kostitsyn because of his medical conditions? Most people think he'll make it...so why can he and not O'Sullivan?

The cards are against Kostityn, but not due to his epilepsy as much as how difficult the NHL is to crack. I don't cheer against any player, but I don't have blinders on either. Even with Michalek, who I thought was the best thing since sliced bread (and those that went to camp last year would agree with me there), I didn't even pencil him into the lineup because camp isn't the NHL. Luckily (or not), he made it. That said, the cards were (and continue to be, with his knee troubles) against him. It's not a good or bad thing, but it's the way the world works.

~Crazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad