Help with something unique

Sydney Cosby

Apr 13, 2016
Hey guys, I an hoping you can help here

One of my friends lost use of on arm when he got a viral infection

https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/parsonage-turner-syndrome/

http://nerve.wustl.edu/nd_parsonage.php

After reading those links, it looks like he hada very severe case

He lost total use of his arm for about 4 months. He has slowly been getting more movement back.
He said that it is approaching 12 months and has almost gotten full range of motion back, but he has atrophied more than he can explain.

He is doing physical therapy and he therapis told him that is OK to start doing curls, in addition to just doing simple arm movements with no weights. The therapist said it is important for him to build as much strength as quickly as possible so he doesn't hurt himself and movement returns more thinking that he is back to 100%.

If one of you were only doing curls as your workout regiment, what would you think of the following;

Curls: 10 reps 3lbs
Other arm excersize with no weight or band
Curls: 10 reps 5 Lbs
Curls: 10 reps 3lbs
Curls:5 reps 8lbs

Thank you ahead of time from my friend Michael

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
The biceps make up a very small part of the overall muscles and tendons in your arm. You need to work the entire arm both with strength and coordination exercises. I would do something like:

- Bicep curls in the 8-12 rep range for 3 sets (whatever weight is appropriate).
- Tricep extensions 3 x 8-12
- Wrist curls 3 x 8-12 in both directions.
- Rice Digs: fill a bucket with dry rice (15-20 lbs) and YouTube "Rice Digs" for appropriate movements.

Do those 3x week (example M/W/F). Use magnets or something that allows for small, incremental increases in resistance (1/4 lb or so).

Sydney Cosby

Apr 13, 2016
The biceps make up a very small part of the overall muscles and tendons in your arm. You need to work the entire arm both with strength and coordination exercises. I would do something like:

- Bicep curls in the 8-12 rep range for 3 sets (whatever weight is appropriate).
- Tricep extensions 3 x 8-12
- Wrist curls 3 x 8-12 in both directions.
- Rice Digs: fill a bucket with dry rice (15-20 lbs) and YouTube "Rice Digs" for appropriate movements.

Do those 3x week (example M/W/F). Use magnets or something that allows for small, incremental increases in resistance (1/4 lb or so).
Thank you very much. I will pass that along to him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad