Cournoyer
Gibert

-----------------

McDonald
Kurri
Mullen
Gartner
Neely

Anyone here stands out as the best ? Who are the top tiers (Boom Boom, Bathgate, Neely, Kurri ??) and bottom tiers ? (Mullen, McDonald, Gilbert ??)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
You've got the first two groups listed in the order they likely should be.

For the third group, everyone on here would put Kurri first out of those five. I`d agree, but I think Lanny is very underrated (better than Sittler IMO) and would be a close second. Gartner and Neely is an impossible comparison since they were very different players with different styles; but if you had to choose which one you wanted on your team, most would take Neely. Mullen is last.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
How you have the first two tiers is accurate.

For the 80's group.

Kurri is the clear cut number 1, the only top 10 RW on the list.

After that, Lanny has the better career, Neely the better peak.

Close, but I'd go Lanny followed by Neely.

Joe Mullen is massively underrated, similar regular season play to Gartner, not quite as long term or consistent though, better peak, and HUGELY better in the post season. Mullen is pretty close behind Neely for me.

Gartner, IMO, is the worst on the list.

Overall, IMO:
Geoffrion
Kurri (Real close there.)
Bathgate
Cournoyer
McDonald
Neely
Mullen
Gilbert
Armstrong
Gartner

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Gartner always gets downgraded for being a compiler for some reason. As far as talent goes I'd put his straight ahead speed against anyone you can name, historical or current.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Gartner always gets downgraded for being a compiler for some reason. As far as talent goes I'd put his straight ahead speed against anyone you can name, historical or current.

Gartner also gets downgraded for his playoff short-comings, though I believe they're slightly over-stated. He had 93 points in 122 career playoff games, which isn't that much lower than his regular season points-per-game. But he was typically a hit and miss player in the post-season, meaning that there are a few strong playoff performances, but also a few times where he bombed. Since his teams rarely advanced past round 2, those bad years get more attnetion than the good ones. Definately not a guy who raised his game when it mattered, but not the huge choker he's sometimes made out to be.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

It's two things. He never had the peak value. His best post season all-star finish was 4th place. It's heavily debateable if he was consistently a top 5 RW. He was a top 10 for a long time, but, me, I kinda value top 5 players much higher.

two: Post season, this was a guy that never had any success, team or individual.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
I guess you have to define what "rank these players" means exactly. Is it from a talent perspective or their place in hockey history or some combination of both? In some ways being able to be consistent for years and years is just as impressive given the nature of the sport as being lights out for a 5 year span and then having your career cut short...and I agree with Kyle that the fact that his teams could never get over the hump hurts Gartner more than it probably should. If Mullen is underrated....Gartner is as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad