Help on homemade net

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
I can't find a hockey net anywhere but on the internet and don't feel like paying $75 dollars for one. I was wondering if anybody here may have made a goal on there own I owould spend about $ 40 on material not much more as I can just drive 4 minutes down the road to shoot. Can't weld so thats really not an option.

Ducksgo*

I can't find a hockey net anywhere but on the internet and don't feel like paying $75 dollars for one. I was wondering if anybody here may have made a goal on there own I owould spend about $ 40 on material not much more as I can just drive 4 minutes down the road to shoot. Can't weld so thats really not an option.

Use pvc pipe and buy the nylon netting for like 15 bucks online. I made mine off a pattern i found through google. Costed total of 25 bucks snagged pvc from home depot cheap as hell.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Use pvc pipe and buy the nylon netting for like 15 bucks online. I made mine off a pattern i found through google. Costed total of 25 bucks snagged pvc from home depot cheap as hell.

PVC pipe will really only work well with a tennis ball, a puck or ball with decent speed/weight will just blast through it.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
When I did mine I had 50 in steel from Home Depot, and 25 on a UV resistant net from ebay...

If you want anything of quality..it's going to cost you 75 bucks.

HowToHockey

To build a homemade net that won't break from puck use you will need to use metal piping, a pipe bender and a welder. My brother and I built one, it was pretty ugly, but it was cheap (we used left over stuff we found at a construction site) and it worked.

For a ball hockey net just use the plans on school yard puck

goldfish

Dec 25, 2010
Maryland
I just built one myself out of wood.

7 2x4's = $15-20
box of screws = $5
old carpet = free

You could buy netting or use chicken wire or something I just had a bunch of old carpet so I went with that.

Pics of it are in the hockey noob chronicles thread on the last page.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
I built one out of black abs pipe bought at a hardware store (I believe abs stands up to cold weather better than white pvc). I usually take it to a basketball court and use regulation ice pucks and lighter plastic pucks with it. It's been going strong for about 2 years or so and it has not even one crack from impact.

Had a hard time finding a thick enough net around the $15-20 range and ended up with a regulation ice net for about $50. Might be easier to find one cheaper now but that's all I could find at the time I was putting it together.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
If you're willing to "step out of the box" so to speak, I spent about $50 in my net between the netting, and the hooks and the vinyl piece to hold it down at the bottom.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=25164228&postcount=20

I don't have a more recent picture, but have since woven red ribbon through the netting at the dimensions of a hockey net. I don't get the satisfying "clang" if I hit the post, but I don't chase pucks that miss the net either.

Some more options here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=778403

Ducksgo*

PVC pipe will really only work well with a tennis ball, a puck or ball with decent speed/weight will just blast through it.

My PVC pipe is almost half an inch thick it has taken a beating and i use regular pucks np

photo.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009
I have a friend who made some homemade nets out of some scrap metal he had. They replaced our PVC ones and are a lot more sturdy. They take a beating and we haven't had to replace them for 5 or 6 years now. Much more efficient than our old ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->