Equipment: Help needed with the shoulder pads sizing!

Withim1993

Dec 13, 2017
Hi there!

Hope you can help me with the correct shoulder pad sizing. I can have these Bauer Supreme One.8 shoulder pads at a really sweet price. They are sized Large (5). I am 6'1", 170-180 lbs, chest size is 39 1/2". So technically i fit somewhere in between sizes Medium and Large, according to Bauer shoulder pad sizing guide.

I don't have any local hockey stores nearby so all i can try on is these Large One.8's.

Lengthwise, they meet my size Large girdle just right at the spine area, and cover my ribs at the front nicely. As for width, i stretch velcro straps to their maximum position to sit firmly on my chest. One thing i don't quite get is if the shoulder caps are sitting right?

I took 2 pictures of myself with and without shoulder pads on if it helps.
MZTvXdW.jpg

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Looks OK to me. A lil bigger is better than too small, you're not going to shrink as you age. If you don't watch what you eat and don't exercise enough, well you know what will happen lol

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Are you playing contact or no? I havnt worn shoulder pads in 15 years, but if i had to i would be wearing the smallest, lightest and less restrictive pair i could find.

Withim1993

Dec 13, 2017
Are you playing contact or no? I havnt worn shoulder pads in 15 years, but if i had to i would be wearing the smallest, lightest and less restrictive pair i could find.
I will be playing full contact, haven't worn shoulders and playing hockey for 10+ years since i was 13.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Just last night at a pickup game I was fore-checking and when the opposing defenceman tried to clear the puck, I deflected it with my stick and it went up and hit me square in the middle of the chest. It resulted in a breakaway chance which I didn't score on unfortunately.

His clearing attempt was pretty hard, even with shoulder pads on I felt the impact. I didn't hurt too much since it hit me in the part with the thickest padding, I can't imagine how much it would have stung without shoulder pads on. It's probably only the 5th time I've been hit up high in that area by a puck, but I'm pretty sure I'd be way less aggressive and effective defensively without them.

I wear the older Bauer Vapor APX2 model, very low profile and the lightest model tied with the CCM RBZ when they came out a few years ago. Glad I've worn them, because I've fallen on the ice and into the boards a few times over the last few years. Each time they probably saved me from some nasty bruises or who knows what.

I have a couple of buddies who don't wear shoulder pads in beer league, but they never block shots and they will actually get out of the way. We usually laugh at them for this though, all in good fun. To each his own I guess.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just last night at a pickup game I was fore-checking and when the opposing defenceman tried to clear the puck, I deflected it with my stick and it went up and hit me square in the middle of the chest. It resulted in a breakaway chance which I didn't score on unfortunately.

His clearing attempt was pretty hard, even with shoulder pads on I felt the impact. I didn't hurt too much since it hit me in the part with the thickest padding, I can't imagine how much it would have stung without shoulder pads on. It's probably only the 5th time I've been hit up high in that area by a puck, but I'm pretty sure I'd be way less aggressive and effective defensively without them.

I wear the older Bauer Vapor APX2 model, very low profile and the lightest model tied with the CCM RBZ when they came out a few years ago. Glad I've worn them, because I've fallen on the ice and into the boards a few times over the last few years. Each time they probably saved me from some nasty bruises or who knows what.

I have a couple of buddies who don't wear shoulder pads in beer league, but they never block shots and they will actually get out of the way. We usually laugh at them for this though, all in good fun. To each his own I guess.

Blows my mind how many guys I play with who don't wear them. I've always worn them at it would feel weird on the ice without them.

But then some think I'm crazy to not wear a full-cage and only a visor in adult rec hockey. Like you said to each his own.

At least for the guys I play with, I find it's often the guys who didn't play minor hockey growing up who don't wear them. They never bought them when they started playing as adults, and haven't had a reason to go out and buy a pair...yet.

I bought a set of the CCM Quicklites last fall, weren't cheap even on sale, but they are SUPER light to the point where you hardly notice them when you're playing, close to zero restriction of movement.

Withim1993

Dec 13, 2017
Thanks for the response guys!

English is not my native language, now I see you got me wrong :)
I mean i was playing hockey from age 5 to 13 (wearing shoulder pads, for sure), but then there was an 11 year break. Now im back into the game, but i just cant recall what kind of fit is correct for me, so I need as much opinions as i can.

Maybe some of you could post some photos, too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad