Help Me Settle This Argument! Havlat Vs. Gaborik - Who turned into the better player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
First off, this is a debate me and a co worker are having

I know these guys aren't considered prospects anymore by a long shot. But who do you guys feel turned out to be the better player between these 2?

My co workers argument is that Havlat is just the better player.

IMO Gaborik is much better but he doesn't have the support that Havlat has.

I like both players. But I feel Gaborik is the better player. My co worker is on the other side, and feels Havlat is the best of the 2.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Gaborik is no question the better player, anyone who watched him play in the world championship or world cup would have to agree. Besides kovalchuk, gaborik is probably the best young star at dangling and dieking at full speed and he is so fast that he is hard to catch. if gaborik had the supporting cast that havlat has then he would lead the league in scoring IMO. Just look at how he played as a 20yr old in the playoffs he was heads and shoulders above anyone on his team. I am willing to bet that only Ottawa homers would believe otherwise

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
it's very close. i think gaborik has more upside but if i was forced to choose right now i'd take havlat.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I think most people will pick Gaborick, and understandibly so. He's accomplished a hell of a lot, taking a weak team to the conference finals at such a young age. However, I feel that I should at least make the case for Havlat.

Much has been made of Havlat's linemates, but in reality, those linemates are not Hossa, Alfredsson and Spezza, it's usually guys like Smolinski, Schaefer, Fisher, etc. Not bad guys, but not the offensive dynamos. He plays with the other guys on the PP, but he still scores most of his points at even strength.

He was a point a game player last year, a rare accomplishment in the NHL these days. But stats aside, I've obviously seen him play a fair bit, and there have been countless games where he looks like the best player on the ice, and a few games where's he's dominated, where he looks like he could be the best player in the league. He has long been in the shadow of Hossa and Alfredsson though, who have been deemed his superiors, relegating him to the third line. That should hopefully change this year, with the Hossa gone, and more responsibilities given to him. I think he has the potential to really break out, and as long as he stays healthy, he can put up 85+ points this year.

Skillwise, I would say the two players are in the same ball park. Gaborik has shown a lot more intangibles though. He's adapted to the Wild system, and has become a leader. Havlat's problem has been consistency. For every game where he looks like a superstar, he'll have one where he disappears. He seems extremely eager to change the perception about him.

Back to the original question, in two years, I probably still would put Gaborik as the better player, but, Havlat will give him a run for his money.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Just to echo Discotu, in terms of pure skill, there is no doubt in my mind that Havlat is right there with Gaborik. But Gaborik seems to be the more-rounded player at this point.

It is also unclear how Havlat would react if he got all the attention Gaborik does as the main offensive weapon on a team. Havlat is still a bit undisciplined on the ice in terms of retaliation, where as Gaborik seems to have 'figured it out' when being checked closely - he just keeps working and fighting through it.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if Havlat puts up several 80+ point seasons in a row to put himself amongst the offensive elite in the NHL, and perhaps surpass Gaborik in most peoples minds. But for now, I think you have to lean towards Gaborik.

Vic Rattlehead*

Please don't prosecute me, but I choose Havlat. It's very close in my opinion, and both are great young players.

ktaylor57

Jul 14, 2005
Sharks territory!
Havlat is already a great player and is going to be awesome, but I would have to pick Gaborik. He's scored 30 goals twice playing with guys like Jim Dowd or Richard Park. Smolinski or even Fisher are probably better centers than any Gaborik has ever had.

Let's not forget to mention Gaborik's outstanding playoff (among the best ever for a player in his playoff debut) which was 2nd among all scorers and that was considering he didn't even play in the SCF or score a point against the Ducks! His center? Wes Walz. Think of what he could do with a center like Richards or Thornton, or hell, even what he can do this year with Rolston.

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Well, if your debate hasn't been settled by now, here's another vote for Gaborik. It's a pretty easy choice IMO.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Havalt has more fire to him. Neither have turned into anything, they both arnt at their prime. I think Gaborik WILL be the better player tho.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
I would take either player but IMO, the NHl hasn't seen anything close to what Marian Gaborik can do in scoring. While Havlat I think will be a very good scoring on the top line...I think Gabroik will be able to match but also be a big game player as well.

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
Gaborik.

Even if you argue an equal amount of skill, Gaborik has speed thus making me pick him.

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
Agreed with my fellow Sens fan discostu. I'm shocked Gaborik is winning by this big of a majority. You'd never guess that Havlat has put up more career point in less games, has a higher +/-, and has played in a pretty defensive system himself while developing a nice two-way game. Minnesota is more trap-happy than Ottawa was under Martin, but it's not like our stars were let to roam free offensively either. And Mach 9 Marty didn't get the ice-time Gaborik did as his team's #1 offensive weapon. Having said that, he also didn't get keyed on as much. One poster aluded to Gaborik's speed as the tie breaker but I can't see how. I do indeed think he's a better skater than Havlat, but these two are both so talented I don't really think their speed difference should be an inssue. Havlat is one of the few players who can keep up with Marian. It's also worth noting that Havlat has more of an edge to his game and is good at getting under the opponants skin. Gaborik is much more passive than the time bomb that is Martin Havlat.

I'll take Gaborik too for his potential, better two-way game, and I also believe he's younger. This past season was just a blip in the radar for him offensively IMO. But it's very close, and I can see many people taking Havlat here. And justifiably so.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Gaborik is more of a Hossa type player in terms of his raw use of speed and skill to create offense, while Havlat is much more opportunistic and has a better offensive awareness. They're both extremely good at what they do, and I'd have a tough time picking one over the other.

I expect Havlat could get 40-50 goals this year easy. I wonder if Gaborik will on the Wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->