Help me score on breakaways, please

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I just had to come and post that this thread totally helped me, and I finally scored my first breakaway goal. I was skating down with the puck and just thinking, "don't try to get fancy, just stick it 5-hole". To my surprise, it totally worked. :laugh: The first breakaway that I didn't whiff on.

So thanks!! :yo:

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I've only started getting breakaways recently as I switched from D to forward once I moved from competitive hockey to recreational. I found that if I go in looking thinking shot it helps a lot more then trying to go in thinking deke. Basically rush in, look for the shot, if the goalies not giving you anything then make a quick move (a lot of people use forehand to backhand). Don't try to get too fancy, just a quick move to get the goalie out of position, when you try to embarass people you tend to just embarass yourself.

Logie

Apr 20, 2011
Wales [UK]
My favourite move is the backhand mid to high, goalies always struggle, because they always get there leg down to cover low and they really cant cover the high slot.

But when i watch most in rec games, they skate straight at the goalie, you need to move rather then just go straight and move the back, do both and get the goalie to commit and it will open another space.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
gotta go with the half clapper, top cheddar. Catches the goalie off guard

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Success! I got my first breakaway goal in ages by following West's advice:

1) Never ever skate straight at the net. Skate to a point 6-8 feet off one of the posts. This will make the goalie have to continuously re-adjust his angles as you come in for a shot.

It's also great for dekes as your first move is cutting hard to the opposite post or just going straight. If you do it right you'll can have more or less an empty net.

I headed for the goal post to my left, and about 5 feet out cut to the other post. As I cut in the goalie went down, limiting his ability to slide across. By the time I got to the far post there was a huge gaping hole. I calmly slid it in, no problem.

Thanks again for all the help!

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
I just had to come and post that this thread totally helped me, and I finally scored my first breakaway goal. I was skating down with the puck and just thinking, "don't try to get fancy, just stick it 5-hole". To my surprise, it totally worked. :laugh: The first breakaway that I didn't whiff on.

So thanks!! :yo:

Personally, I'm a deker.

Nonetheless, if you think you're turning into a shooter, the key is speed. Goalies always start high on Breakaways/shootouts. U need to get him/her deeper into the net and one of the best ways to do that is to come in as hot as possible.

BadHammy*

Deking succeeds at a FAR higher % than shooting but a shoot in stride might be the best option of all. It however takes a lot of practice to be accurate with.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Learn the shoulder drop. Once you learn that....scoring on a breakaway, or otherwise, is much easier. Drop that shoulder, wait for the goalie to shift weight one way or another(requires watching him), and then put the puck where he can't go. Often times, this is right along the ice to a bottom corner. "Freeze" him. Watch what pure goal scorers do in the NHL. They score when they get the goalie to commit first. If the goalie is patient, they often get denied. Let the goalie dictate where you are going to go.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Coming from a goalie, patience is key. Make the goalie commit before you commit. If you can get him on the wrong side of the net, it's over. Just be patient and make him make the first move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->