Help me score on breakaways, please

SkepticalDougO

Jul 8, 2010
Louisiana
Like others have said keep it simple- and do what works for you. One I like come down go backhand, forhand (just to get the goalie moving a little) then when getting closer go back hand wait for him to open the legs to slide over and just slip it in.

Bryan23

Jul 18, 2011
Millville, NJ
once you learn to elevate it on your backhand simply go forehand, backhand, shelf.

when you're practicing your backhand try using your toe to scoop it nice and high

I personally have found I can elevate the puck more consistantly on my backhand by shooting from the heel. By shooting off the heel, I can lift it higher, and it has more power behind it. Shooting the backhand off the toe, the puck has more of a chance to roll off.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I do the P.A Parenteau, come down the left side as a right handed shot, fake shot low, cut in the middle and shoot above the glove.

BadHammy*

One thing to remember is that you won't often have every option on a breakaway, e.g. you have a D on your right so you have to shoot on your left. As a result, practice the most likely scenarios a lot, even when they're bad angles, you're almost losing control of the puck etc. It really helped me.

Xavier Laflamme*

Youtube Sidney Crosby shootout. He's not flashy, and pretty easy to emulate. He used to be pretty average to below when it came to shootouts. Now he's about as automatic in the league as there is and he basically has one go-to move..the 5 hole.

He's not flashy, he skates in slow, real patient, and waits for the goalie to make that first move and then shoots 5 hole. That's probably your easiest bet.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Maybe it's just me, but I have never scored five hole on a breakaway. I've tried, probably 20-30 times, and never scored. Goalies always drop down too quick. I've also tried the forehand backhand many, many times but the goalies always read it.

My move is shoot high glove. Probably works 50% of the time. Just a quick shot. Try and get the goalie back in his net a bit, keep the puck out a bit, and then quickly drag it in and shoot.
Agreed that a straight up 5 hole shot is tough to score on, I really only go 5 hole on dekes when you can open the goalie up with side to side movement, and then only as a last resort if he's right with me and I can't go high. Forehand to backhand shelf works really well for me though if the goalie is far out, just gotta get some good side to side movement to keep the goalie guessing, come in with lots of speed, start your move early enough and really sell that fake shot, even if the goalie reads it I often score if the goalie is out challenging, hard for them to get over in time if you come in at full speed. Don't go nuts or over the top selling the fake shot, if you do the leg kick and fake windup it's gonna be tough to get the puck over in time, just come in like you're gonna shoot (slight coast at the end, in a shooting stance, focus on an empty bit of net on your forehand side), then go quickly backhand shelf. It's a very simple, quick, effective move for me, basically this:

If he's deep in his net, though, shooting is more reliable for me.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The move I WISH I had the hands/talent to pull is this one, though:

I'm OK with a simplified version of it, simply forehand to backhand (as if you're going forehand/backhand/shelf), then back to forehand the moment the goalie starts to bite, but without all the extra stickhandling, footwork, and just the generally quick and smooth way that Kane pulls it off. This isn't really a breakaway move, but in a shootout it can be sick if you have the hand. I can only barely pull it though (even in simplified form), my sell/fake isn't nearly convincing as Kane and I'm sometimes not really fully in control of the puck, a simple forehand/backhand/shelf is more reliable for me, but if you have great hands I think a simplified version of this is a really effective move (for shootouts, at least).

Note how Kane comes in shiftily though, with side to side movement to keep the goalie off guard, and how he starts his move far out, above the hash marks. This is key, too many guys simply come straight in on shootouts/breakaways and start their move too late, it's a lot easier for the goalie to read and react that way.

Last edited:

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
Start simple. If you shoot on the same side as the goalies blocker shoot for 1.5 feet off the ice blocker side. If you shoot same side as the glove side shoot top corner. Then add a decent back hand deke that you can lift higher than a foot to get over the goalies pad for when you feel the shot is not there.

Rizzy13

Jan 26, 2009
i cant really help you on the breakaways cuz i dont get too many during my games however when my buddies rent ice we always spend a lot of time doing shootouts. i just always go backhand and it works ALOT. sometimes my blade is almost flat on the ice when i'm about to raise it, that helps me get it up high. i'm really not that good at ice hockey, i just started playing 4-5 years ago in house leagues. but when i do backhands i really try to focus on my blade and the puck and nothing else and that ehlps me raise it too even though i ignore the goalie sometimes :S

Recast

Jan 5, 2005
Spruce Grove
I always go five hole. It's the only spot on a breakaway that I can consistently hit. If I know I have time and quite a bit of space (i.e. from our blue or red line) then I'll skate hard until about the top of the circles, slow down a bit (so the goalie is in the net a little more), and just fire it once I've got him/her back in his/her net. The key is obviously not to sell it too hard and for no leg kick/wind up.

Edit: I know there's a goal by Crosby that illustrates this perfectly. I'm pretty sure it was against the Capitals and Varlamov was in net. He waited until he was pretty much standing on the goalie to slow down.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
C league? Just skate as fast as you can with the puck and run the goalie over. The momentum of the puck will cross the line and you'll score. If you are playing one of the later games in the night, the refs are probably drunk already or whining about the corns on their feet from being in skates all day :)

Seriously, just practice going left to right and right to left with your stickhandling, and using your eyes to watch when you open the goaltender's legs and go five hole. You'll score a lot doing this with just perfecting this move.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Remember that a lot of it is read/react. Smarter goalies will intentionally give you an opening with the intention of taking it away, but many will just legitimately be leaving an opening.

Typical wisdom states that if the goalie is too deep in his net, you can shoot for an opening, while if he is far out of his net you have to use a deke.

If you're coming in with a lot of speed, you are usually challenging the goalie's backwards skating. If you're fast, the odds are that the goalie can't keep up with your pace and you'll be able to either pull a deke and beat him or catch him backing up too soon and pot one with a straight shot.

This is why you'll see a lot of NHLers change speeds on a breakaway... sometimes they'll come in slow and quickly accelerate, while at other times they'll come in with speed and slow up. The former catches the goalie high, while the latter can catch the goalie backing up too much.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Okay I watched a teammate last night who is just money on breakaways to see what he did.

He's a righty and likes to play on the left wing. He takes the puck and skates at the post to the goalie's right. Carries the puck fairly close to the body. He'll either make a move pulling the puck to the backhand and shoot it in behind the goalie, or he'll cut across the net and stuff it in on the far side on his forehand.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
C league? Just skate as fast as you can with the puck and run the goalie over. The momentum of the puck will cross the line and you'll score. If you are playing one of the later games in the night, the refs are probably drunk already or whining about the corns on their feet from being in skates all day :)

Ha! I have actually scored that way, but in my defense I was knocked over by a defender.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone, I think I'm going to concentrate on getting the backhand up consistently and trying the 5 hole more often.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Simple move is to deke one side and then throw it five hole as he slides his leg to the post. Fake shot helps too

MNhockey19

Jul 10, 2011
Minnesota
Im not sure how to post videos but type in "Pavel Bure amazing goal" into youtube. I havent seen it used often and if your pretty fast it could work when you see the goalie come far enough out.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Im not sure how to post videos but type in "Pavel Bure amazing goal" into youtube. I havent seen it used often and if your pretty fast it could work when you see the goalie come far enough out.
I'm assuming you're joking?

Beautiful move, but if you can pull moves like that, I really don't think you'd fall into the category of "having trouble scoring on a breakaway."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->