Help me get to a particular flex

JSand

Aug 31, 2010
Can someone please help me get to a final flex of 65-70 after cutting down an intermediate stick? I am 5'4" and 135-140 lbs and currently play with a 67 flex Bauer XXV intermediate stick that I cut down to about 53 inches. Cutting off those 4" or so makes it play closer to an 82 flex which is a bit too much for me. I would like to take another inch off of that and play it at 52" which would bring the flex up a bit more. Ideally, I would like to wind up at a flex in the range of 65-70 after cutting down to a 52" length. However, I am struggling a bit with how to get there. Interestingly, the length of junior sticks range between 49-52" so length works (perhaps with a plug in some instances) but the flex is just too low.

Alternatively, would a mid-flex point stick give me a more "whippy" feel at a higher flex rating as compared to a low-kickpoint stick? Most of my shots are wristers and snapshots if that means anything. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tommi Santala

Apr 2, 2009
Portland, OR
Just bought an S19 - the rated flex is 65, but they still account for the end plug (which, I was told, used to be put in the sticks), so it's really whippier than 65 uncut. I cut it down about 3-4 inches right to the 65 flex mark. Also got a solid deal on it for $185!

I'm guessing this is fairly universal to the Easton stick line so check some of their Intermediates out.

budster

Schoolyard Puck
An intermediate stick with a plug is probably your best bet. If you have to choose between too bendy or too stiff, go with the former. There's a product out there called the Oggie grip that restores flex to a stick you can read the full review if you are interested. See if a teammate will let you borrow a spare stick and see what feels best. Unless you have a machine, it's gonna be really tough to tell exactly what flex your mods put it at.
--
How stick flex works

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Mid flex sticks certainly do seem a lot whippier than low kickpoint sticks. I had a Easton ST Heatley Intermediate 65 Flex but the markings on the butt end listed it as a 60 flex at normal length (58"), 65 flex at 55" and 70 flex at 52". An intermediate 65 flex Easton stick should get you where you want the flex rating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad