Help me find a stick with these specs!

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
So, for my next stick purchase, I really want to nail everything I need in a stick. After going from stick to stick, pattern to pattern, and flex to flex, I know what I'm looking for. The requirements are as follows....

Senior size.
75-85 flex.
Lie of 6.
Toe curve with a rounded toe.

I can settle for a Sakic style curve, but I've used many and would like something with a bit more toe on it. Every toe curve I see is either a lie of 5 or lower or pro-stock with a high flex rating. The new Gionta Warrior pattern is unbelievable, but it's only offered in Warriors 4 lie, an Easton 5 equivalent. I'd try an intermediate too, but I have rather large hands and the smaller shaft diameter is a tad bit uncomfortable sometimes.

Thanks!

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
You could check out http://www.mybasehockey.com/
You should email them and ask for a brochure. It will tell you the different patterns you can order with your customized stick. Each pattern is offered in a number of different lies. You can't always get exactly what you want but as far as customization goes its pretty in depth.

They run a facility out of Vancouver where they analyze your shot and suggest different sticks but you can also order something from them online if you know exactly what you want. A guy I play with has one of these sticks and they're very high quality. It's worth a look.

StrykerB

Jan 3, 2008
I'd try an intermediate too, but I have rather large hands and the smaller shaft diameter is a tad bit uncomfortable sometimes.

Thanks!

Some intermediate shafts are the same size as senior shafts. I'm really liking my TotalOne intermediate. Fit and finish is awesome. The shaft definitely feels like it's a bit more flexible than what is stated on the stick, but I like having more flex.

Rush22*

Just buy the Sakic stick and add some toe curve yourself. It is really easy... you just need a small propane torch and a bench vice.

1. Start by slowly and evenly heating the blade in the spot you want to curve. Keep the flame moving quickly or else you will ruin the blade.

2. Place the spot where you want to curve the blade in a bench vice and slowly and carefully bend it to the location you want it.

3. Dip it immediately in a bucket of cool water to lock in your curve.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Just buy the Sakic stick and add some toe curve yourself. It is really easy... you just need a small propane torch and a bench vice.

1. Start by slowly and evenly heating the blade in the spot you want to curve. Keep the flame moving quickly or else you will ruin the blade.

2. Place the spot where you want to curve the blade in a bench vice and slowly and carefully bend it to the location you want it.

3. Dip it immediately in a bucket of cool water to lock in your curve.

Do not do this. It will damage the structural integrity of the blade.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Have you considered just using the Warrior Gionta curve? The difference between a 5 (Warrior 4) and 6 lie is significant, but not massive, you could just leave your stick a touch longer to make up for it. There aren't many true toe curves on the retail market.

Rush22*

Do not do this. It will damage the structural integrity of the blade.

No it does not if you do it correctly, you can in fact form graphite blades like you would wood blade you just have to be a bit more careful.

The key to forming a graphite / carbon blade it to heat it more slowly and evenly as opposed to how you would a wood blade. Knowing how to distance your heat and keeping the torch moving is not hard to learn if you have any sort of common sense.

I have formed many blades on one-piece sticks and have never had an issue with durability from the work I did to it. In fact most professional player like to tweak there own sticks as well with the same process.

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
I suppose I could just try the Gionta curve. If they offered it in a higher lie i have a feeling they'd sell a ton more alongside the 4 lie. I'm learning that I like to keep the puck closer to my body when stickhandling, and judging by the tape wear on my 4 lie Warrior pro-stock, it's telling me I'm only using the tip of my blade for shooting and handling at the stick length I like.

I even use the toe too much on an Easton Sakic, and that's supposedly a 5.5 lie, although it's much more even than my Warrior.

Webernaut

Jan 25, 2010
Tampa, FL
No it does not if you do it correctly, you can in fact form graphite blades like you would wood blade you just have to be a bit more careful.

The key to forming a graphite / carbon blade it to heat it more slowly and evenly as opposed to how you would a wood blade. Knowing how to distance your heat and keeping the torch moving is not hard to learn if you have any sort of common sense.

I have formed many blades on one-piece sticks and have never had an issue with durability from the work I did to it. In fact most professional player like to tweak there own sticks as well with the same process.

+1

I like the Sakic/Backstrom curve as well but I suffer from the same issue as the OP, I like a little more toe curve than those offer. I use a propane torch to give it a little more and I have to say with little practice I have become a freakin artist... lmao

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

Risk and reward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->