Help Malik Get a Laptop

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
There is a lot I could say to this, but I will condense where I can. I think it is tacky for him to consistently ask for donations from his reader base to help him get out of every hole he falls into. If this was a one time thing, sure, I’d absolutely consider helping him. The problem is that this is a consistent thing. I totally understand that he has had a rough couple of years, but he has also never really done a whole lot to continue to build his brand and maybe earn more money from his blogging. He has a fan base, so why not offer patreon style subscription packages to get a little bit more income every month?

Ultimately, I get where you’re coming from. He has been an integral part of the Detroit Red Wings family and I’ve been reading his content personally for probably a decade or more. I just wish he didn’t ask for donations so often.
What's the difference between offering a Patreon vs. asking for donations occasionally?

Either way, the guy doesn't deserve the hate he gets.

Reactions: MBH

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'd bet 90% of people on this board have read Malik's work for years and have never paid a dime for it.

The high horse attitude here is pathetic.

I mean, I'm kind of like Bench in that I've never once sought out Malik's work. If I read it, it is completely coincidental. I know the name but that's it.

I just see it as... his work is completely inconsequential to me. I mean, for me this is no different than if the guy down the street from me wrote a blog. Maybe I went too hard at it, but I had checked his post and seeing "In my anger, I punched and cracked the screen, so donate to help me get a computer by the draft" annoyed me. It's cool he is trying to make TMR a thing, though.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What's the difference between offering a Patreon vs. asking for donations occasionally?

Either way, the guy doesn't deserve the hate he gets.

Patreon is a setup by which you are making it a service you provide with a little bit of clawback in case your production of new content slacks vs donations tend to be unconditional gifts.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Maybe I went too hard at it, but I had checked his post and seeing "In my anger, I punched and cracked the screen, so donate to help me get a computer by the draft" annoyed me.

Wait, the first computer broke because he punched it?

Oh. Well then.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am assuming the guy is in pretty dire straights to make this request. Its funny how we all roll different circles of friends man if I couldn't afford a laptop I have at least 4 or 5 friends that have an older laptop that is still current they would just give it over because they don't use it. Hope it works out but I just feel weird about giving someone money for a laptop especially when I feel they are fairly easy to come by for dirt cheap. If he is rendering his own video and production content at a semi professional level that is different. But I don't really consume his content so I only have thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

cnwinger

Feb 22, 2012
I will donate if I can get access to a higher tier blog membership, with exclusive access to his daily health updates. Mucus volume, consistency, etc.

That's the type of high-quality content you just can't find anywhere else.

Reactions: Kyleftlx

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I am assuming the guy is in pretty dire straights to make this request. Its funny how we all roll different circles of friends man if I couldn't afford a laptop I have at least 4 or 5 friends that have an older laptop that is still current they would just give it over because they don't use it. Hope it works out but I just feel weird about giving someone money for a laptop especially when I feel they are fairly easy to come by for dirt cheap.
That's my thing.

The situation just seems a little odd. I get that his laptop broke a couple days before the draft, but if you're in dire straits can't you borrow a friend or family member's laptop for a few days while your old one gets repaired? Or buy a new one on your credit card? You can rent a laptop for a month for like $100.

I'm all for people pursuing their dreams but if your business can't handle fixing or replacing the one piece of equipment you need, which can be done relatively cheaply, what are you doing exactly?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That's my thing.

The situation just seems a little odd. I get that his laptop broke a couple days before the draft, but if you're in dire straits can't you borrow a friend or family member's laptop for a few days while your old one gets repaired? Or buy a new one on your credit card? You can rent a laptop for a month for like $100.

I'm all for people pursuing their dreams but if your business can't handle fixing or replacing the one piece of equipment you need, which can be done relatively cheaply, what are you doing exactly?

That is kinda what I am thinking too like even if a friend or family member couldn't help out getting a replacement laptop just to blog could be a 150-300 dollar investment off craigslist. You can even get deals on new laptops with pretty good specs at 350-500 off sites like newegg. I understand that for many several hundred dollars is a big thing to come up with, but I would just be surprised someone that regularly blogs about the wings is that hard up.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
As mentioned earlier in the thread a Chromebook is a couple hundred bucks, tops

I'm not going to dump on him because people have raised money for/ sold a lot weirder or less deserving things online, but yeah... Just borrow something temporarily or buy a chromebook/ used laptop ?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I'd bet 90% of people on this board have read Malik's work for years and have never paid a dime for it.

And 99% of people on this board have spent endless hours here and not paid a dime for it. In all my years here I think I've been a sponsor three times maybe?

People didn't pay a dime for it because that's the business model he was working under. It's not like they stole the content.

As I said in another post, there's just something odd about the situation. It seems like there's much quicker and more feasible options than asking readers to buy you a dream laptop.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I vaguely remember Malik's name coming up here and there but I don't recall reading anything he does so I guess I am in the 10%.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Why do I need to pay a guy who I have never heard much from and provides me with 0 product? Paying him would be like fans paying Jeff O'Neill for being a talking head! Bloggers for the most part are just regular people giving their opinion on things. No different than you or I give our opinions on here!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And 99% of people on this board have spent endless hours here and not paid a dime for it. In all my years here I think I've been a sponsor three times maybe?

The ads on this site have been so toxic over the years that I refuse to pay because it feels like being held hostage to remove them.

Off-topic but been a real pet peeve of mine for years.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
Malik does provide an insider perspective of the players/prospects when he's there for training camp/prospect tournaments.

It's just really important to keep in mind that he tends to write about them in the absolute best lens possible, which some may misinterpret as "ZOMG WE HAVE THE BEST FARM SYSTEM EVA!!!"

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
The ads on this site have been so toxic over the years that I refuse to pay because it feels like being held hostage to remove them.

yeah I go off and on with adblock depending on how brutal the ads are. I want to support the site but holy hell...

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Standard ad block programs work wonders for me on a desktop. HF on mobile...it's like my mailbox with all of these damn political mailings. It feels like being under constant attack. SPAM INCOMING!!!

220px-Monty_Python_Live_02-07-14_13_04_42_%2814598710791%29.jpg

Reactions: avssuc and Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What browser are you using on mobile? I am using Brave and never have ads.

On default chrome mobile this site was basically popups trying to install malware. Just brutal.

Maybe it's better now, but I haven't risked it for a long time. Whatever ad network they were using was shady as all hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->