Help Malik Get a Laptop

grewalwings

May 23, 2014
Ontario
Now that's why you don't fix your own laptop unless you're experienced with the tech. If he doesn't get the $$, might want to check with his local library, they usually have accessible computers to the public.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Man, I've got a $1200 laptop and it;s shit for gaming.

Yes, because how good it is for gaming was the point.

Basically though... blogging took a huge dump this year like everything with COVID. Until this topic, I knew who Malik was, but I've literally never once went to his site. The advent of The Athletic and other similar subscription based platforms is kinda killing the individual blogger for sports. I mean, for the same couple dollars I'd be tossing Malik's way to get the reporting, I can get the information and analysis from guys like Craig Custance... the type of guys who fill up 95% of Malik's page.I don't really need a news aggregator.

It sucks his fam is dealing with medical stuff... it does. But this laptop thing? He broke it. He tried fixing a machine he didn't know how to fix.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Malik's been blogging for Wings fans' for a long time.
Dude has hit a rough patch. Wouldn't be bad to help him out if you can.

A bazillion people are going through rough patches financially, why does a blogger for the Red Wings get a very non essential item donated to him, with so many struggling? Not meant to be rough to him, as rough patches suck, but are you donating to any of the hungry families out there where the mom or dad is working 2 and 3 jobs just to put food on the table and kids on the clothes?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
A bazillion people are going through rough patches financially, why does a blogger for the Red Wings get a very non essential item donated to him, with so many struggling? Not meant to be rough to him, as rough patches suck, but are you donating to any of the hungry families out there where the mom or dad is working 2 and 3 jobs just to put food on the table and kids on the clothes?

Because he asked for help... Just like other struggling person can do. Doesn't mean anyone has to help him.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Because he asked for help... Just like other struggling person can do. Doesn't mean anyone has to help him.

If it is for necessities I absolutely agree with you, but not for a non essential like a computer.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'd bet 90% of people on this board have read Malik's work for years and have never paid a dime for it.

The high horse attitude here is pathetic.

He's received 500 dollars so far (as of the last update I saw). He has enough to get a laptop that will serve him well for the next few years to write his blog. It wasn't until I saw him asking for a 4k gaming laptop that there was an issue.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd bet 90% of people on this board have read Malik's work for years and have never paid a dime for it.

I agree with this.

I also agree if the goal is simply to get back to blogging ASAP, he could grab this laptop (among others) at nearly 1/3 his asking cost and be rolling tonight like a champ.

But that's splitting hairs, I suppose. People donating can decide on their own how they want to spend their money.

I don't think it's unreasonable for him to ask for some help for a service many have linked here hundreds of times.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I agree with this.

I also agree if the goal is simply to get back to blogging ASAP, he could grab this laptop (among others) at nearly 1/3 his asking cost and be rolling tonight like a champ.

But that's splitting hairs, I suppose. People can decide on their own how they want to spend their money.

I don't think it's unreasonable for him to ask for some help for a service many have linked here hundreds of times.
Fair. I didn't realize he upped his ask to a $1,200 laptop but stand by my original post.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Fair. I didn't realize he upped his ask to a $1,200 laptop but stand by my original post.

If folks follow him and enjoy his blogging, it makes sense to support that. Very reasonable.

I have never actually followed him, and only know of his work by what people talk about here, so my indifference is probably palpable. I won't be donating for that reason. But I'm with you, the pushback is weird.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Man, I've got a $1200 laptop and it;s shit for gaming.

Then send it to that dude and STFU.

As pandemic, economic depression, crop loss, spreading starvation... and other terrible things hit... you're worried about a rotund blogger getting a high end PC.

The ball hockey thing is starting to make a ton of sense.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!

There is a lot I could say to this, but I will condense where I can. I think it is tacky for him to consistently ask for donations from his reader base to help him get out of every hole he falls into. If this was a one time thing, sure, I’d absolutely consider helping him. The problem is that this is a consistent thing. I totally understand that he has had a rough couple of years, but he has also never really done a whole lot to continue to build his brand and maybe earn more money from his blogging. He has a fan base, so why not offer patreon style subscription packages to get a little bit more income every month?

Ultimately, I get where you’re coming from. He has been an integral part of the Detroit Red Wings family and I’ve been reading his content personally for probably a decade or more. I just wish he didn’t ask for donations so often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad