Help Identifying US U17 Team Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I was just curious if anyone here could help me identify the players in the image below. Here's what I have so far...

(Bottom row, left to right) unknown, unknown, unknown, Chris Summers, Chris Atkinson, Pat Kane, unknown, unknown (number looks like an 8 or 9).

(Middle row, left to right) Billy Sweatt, Ryan Flynn (?), unknown, Kevin Montgomery, Greg Squires (?), Jim O'Brien (?), Brian Strait.

(Top row, left to right) unknown, Erik Johnson, Trent Palm (?), unknown, unknown, Joe Palmer.

attachment.php

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I haven't heard about any tournament awards but I'd be surprised if anyone other than Kane was the MVP.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
cagney said:
I haven't heard about any tournament awards but I'd be surprised if anyone other than Kane was the MVP.

You never know, sometimes they hand the MVP to the goalie, instead of a real hockey player. :D
Johnson could have been a fairly valuable performer aswell in the tourny.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
I believe the player in this attachment is Rhett Rakhshani, but I can't match him to anyone in that pic.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Boomhower said:
Johnson could have been a fairly valuable performer aswell in the tourny.

That's true.

Postman said:
I believe the player in this attachment is Rhett Rakhshani, but I can't match him to anyone in that pic.

There are only 21 players in the picture so he could be the one missing.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
There was no MPV award. Kane received best forward, McBain received best defenseman and a goalie from the Swiss team won best goalie. I was there, the US squad dominated the Russian team in the Gold Medal game. It was 5 to 0 after the second period then they got a little sloppy in the third but it was no contest. This team is really coming along nicely. The seven Defensemen are all terific players. The forwards are small but highly skilled. The real test will be the World U17 Challenge when they go up against the top Canadian players that play a more physical game.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Thanks for the info bigd. If you have the time at some point I'd be interested to hear a little bit more about the US players. Was Kane as good as the stats indicate? How did the '89 O'Brien look? How were the goalies? Also, what's the story with Geoffrion? Might he have been overhyped? Thanks in advance.

On a different note, how was the super-hyped Russian Vasyunov?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
cagney said:
Also, what's the story with Geoffrion? Might he have been overhyped?
I'm VERY curious about him as well. He really hasn't done much at all so far this season, except collect PIMs.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I was a little worried about Kane coming to the team at first. I heard he was a very selfesh player but he has fit in nicely. Against players his own age he dominates but against older physical Junior players he has a tougher time. The kid has sick hands! He can do things with the puck that most kids dream about.
O'Bien could be another Peter Mueller. He is a great player with good size and he can fly.
Geoffrion is struggling early on. He shows flashes of greatness but he doesn't show it every night. He plays with a bit of an edge and takes a lot of unnessary pennelties. You can't score from the pennalty box! He only played one full game at the 4 nations cup because he sustained a concussion in the second game.
The players I like the most on the team are Eric Johnson, Bill Sweat, and Brian Strait.
Johnson will be a top 10 draft pick. He has great skills for a big kid and he already has a pro shot.
Bill Sweat is one of the top forwards on the team. Great skill set. Great moves.
Strait was wearing the C at the 4 nation tournament. Great skater, very smart with the puck, plays under control all the time.
Both goalies are very good. Palmer is said to fit the NHL goalie profile. Big kid, fills the net, cuts down the angles, very good but is prone to let in a soft one now and then.
I like Bennet. He's a real competitor and much more athletic than Palmer. Both are butterfly style goalies but Bennet will flop around a little more to make a save. I hope that helps. I think this team is going to be one of the best NDTP teams next year as U18's!

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Great. I've been waiting a long time to put faces to some of these names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad