OT: The thread formerly known as Mousecop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Dad cut back from 2.5 packs a day to probably 0.5 packs a day in later years. He died right after he turned 59yo from esophageal cancer, likely exacerbated by smoking and drinking. My mom quit a dozen+ times in her life. Last one finally worked. Not as heavy a smoker, but made it to 79yo.

I've read nicotine is more addictive than heroin. Don't give up.

Work colleague has battled RA for 30+ years. She went to the most powerful meds 25 years ago. Still working / enduring / functioning. Not fully well, but hanging in there. Good luck.

Thanks my friend. My dad went on disability in his late 40's for it and could never work again. Doctor's gave him oxy for it and it ruined his/our lives. He got so addicted to the pills it was like a new person. He passed away a few short years later form addiction ruining his body causing cardiac arrest. Needless to say I'll be avoiding any opioids etc if I ever need them for pain but I'm far from worrying about that anyways. It's a scary thing all around and I don't wish it on anyone. It's a great life lesson and learning experience however and I think the dangers of oxy and other pills has become much more well documented in recent years which is a great thing. Cheers and thanks for the well wishes!

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My wife is preggo! Yea buddy!
Must. Resist. Maury. Pulvich. Joke.

But seriously, congrats! Regardless of gender you are naming him/her Rasmus right?????:skeptic::D Actually just hit me that this would be the perfect Sabres related name that would work for a boy or girl: Rene!

Jamie Walker

May 2, 2004
Hamilton, Ont.
i was looking for the thread that was predictions about our record at the all-star break, but can't find it. could someone bring it back to the first page.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
So many HFBoards babies on the way lately. Did early season optimism or the winning streak lead to happiness and more fun in the bedroom? Lol.

I could only find the monthly predictions, whole season and playoffs. There may not have been a specific thread for record as of the all-star break.

Last edited:

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
While the weather isn’t horrible (yet) where my store is located, working on nights like tonight drives me crazy. It is like watching paint dry while listening to Patriots fans. Just absolutely mind numbing.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Someone up the street crashed into a pump at a mini mart and caused a big fire. Best part: the mini mart stayed open while the fire raged.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Thinking about opening a new credit card with better rewards/benefits. The card I have now is alright, but it was my first credit card, it was all I could really get with no credit history. Feel like I could do a little better now... but I'm concerned what implications/issues (if any) I could run into messing with this credit stuff too much.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Thinking about opening a new credit card with better rewards/benefits. The card I have now is alright, but it was my first credit card, it was all I could really get with no credit history. Feel like I could do a little better now... but I'm concerned what implications/issues (if any) I could run into messing with this credit stuff too much.

If it’s only your second CC you've ever had, then don’t worry about it. You are closing up your original CC and starting a better one. People do that all the time. Go for it.
It’s the idiots who can’t make the payments or change cards every year or two, or open up 3, 4, 5 CC’s and max out each one and can’t make the payments as they live well beyond their means.

I shake my head at the people who can’t afford to make payments on cards, go into massive debt, yet own higher end vehicles, latest smart phones, expensive homes, expensive jewelry, expensive clothes, etc ... basically financial buffoons.

Just check, double check, triple check the terms and make sure it’s right for you and your lifestyle.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

I suggest the Black Card:

The American Express Black Card: Everything You Need to Know

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
If it’s only your second CC you've ever had, then don’t worry about it. You are closing up your original CC and starting a better one. People do that all the time. Go for it.
It’s the idiots who can’t make the payments or change cards every year or two, or open up 3, 4, 5 CC’s and max out each one and can’t make the payments as they live well beyond their means.

I shake my head at the people who can’t afford to make payments on cards, go into massive debt, yet own higher end vehicles, latest smart phones, expensive homes, expensive jewelry, expensive clothes, etc ... basically financial buffoons.

Just check, double check, triple check the terms and make sure it’s right for you and your lifestyle.
Yeah, that's definitely not me. I pay my card off every month.

Kind of a funny story... I dunno why, but I asked a friend of mine one day what type of person he is. The type to make a big purchase before your monthly statement to get it on there/pay it off sooner, or the type to make a big purchase after the statement to get an extra month on it. Hadn't even considered he was the type not really paying it off and making the minimum payments. Whoops.

But anywho... the terms and the fine print and the stuff I might not be aware of is what scares me. And probably why I'll just end up staying pat. I dunno if the extra 0.5-1% cash back is worth the hassle. :laugh:

Unless I'm missing something... that card probably isn't for me. :laugh:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'll do the research for you. Just PM me your name, address, DOB, & SSN and you'll have a new card coming your way soon.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Divorce paperwork gets filed with the courts on Friday morning. Bleh.
That sucks.

My daughter and her husband are going through similar difficulties. "I'm not happy" seems to be the prevailing issue. Like who the heck ever expected 100% all he time happiness in a marriage?

I'm kinda old fashioned and traditional regarding vows. Esp. these taken before God. Pretty upset with her. I feel for you buddy!

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That sucks.

My daughter and her husband are going through similar difficulties. "I'm not happy" seems to be the prevailing issue. Like who the heck ever expected 100% all he time happiness in a marriage?

I'm kinda old fashioned and traditional regarding vows. Esp. these taken before God. Pretty upset with her. I feel for you buddy!

I'm more about having made a commitment in front of everyone we knew and being my word in the matter.

It still stings -- betrayal sucks.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
What kind of rewards are you looking for? Cash back? Travel points? I’ve had every credit card under the sun, over 50 in the past 7 years.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
What kind of rewards are you looking for? Cash back? Travel points? I’ve had every credit card under the sun, over 50 in the past 7 years.
Cash back in particular. The Citi Double Cash card seems like the best (1% on purchase, 1% on paying it off)... but having worked at Citi for 4-5 years after college, I don't think I can bring myself to go that route. :laugh:

EDIT: I may also be overthinking this whole thing, and should just pick the one with the biggest number (and no hidden shenanigans).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->