NFL: Helmet Rule and QB slam rules discussion

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I just googled

A study, done in 2012, showed that the concussion rate per 1,000 player hours is 3.9 in professional Rugby union, 1.2 in amateur Rugby union, and 0.2 in the NFL.

so, never mind )
I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt when it comes to the NFL reporting concussions

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Only 9 helmet violations called with all 32 teams in action this weekend. The overflagging seems to be over.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Weren't the Bills nailed for one late to make it 10? Granted I don't blame the defender because the runner basically stopped and you can't do much about him giving himself up late.

10 is still not that many considering the rate they were throwing flags the first two weeks.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Instead of these hits you'll just see more hits to the knees.

The NFL doesn't truly care, they are profiting through the whole CTE saga. They just care about money, they'll use the players and their crusades to get richer

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Yeah not like players have been hitting low since the NFL started. Another thing to whine about I guess.

They have but now the NFL has opened up a can of worms of what would you rather have? The big hard hits or the cheapshots, which are only outlawed on the QB, so now they can justify hits like the one on Marquise Lee. It's really lose, lose, you'll either have a lot of concussions or a lot of guys out due to knee injuries.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Just saw that one on TV and wasn't sure if they were showing a penalty or an example of a picture-perfect hit on a QB. Horrendous.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The issue to me is that the call is up to the refs discretion. So one week that won't be flagged, the next week it might. Depending on the official. You'll know when a QB is lifted and driven into the turf. That wasn't it.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It seems quite obvious to me that the NFL likes and prefers 42-37 type scorelines over 13-9 scorelines. It's a business, so it's their right to do what they want to promote offense via the rules. I think that's the problem of the North American model where the rules aren't decided by an international body in a deliberative way involving many different stakeholders, but by a business with quite transparent motives.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The issue to me is that the call is up to the refs discretion. So one week that won't be flagged, the next week it might. Depending on the official. You'll know when a QB is lifted and driven into the turf. That wasn't it.
Yep. It's too much like the awful "intended to blow the whistle" nonsense in the NHL.

Look at Sunday alone. The Matthews penalty was far less egregious than a non-call in the Pats/Jags game where Brady was physically lifted off his feet and driven into the turf.

Personally neither should be a penalty, but by rule if either was called, it should've been the one below and not the Matthews one.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also what made Matthews play even more absurd was even in realtime you can see he lets up and doesn't put his weight into him as he plants arm to catch himself

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The concept to make football better is simple.... make rules as objective as possible, not subjective to a ref's whims. That's the issue that most fans have with officiating, not that something is against the rules but that something is sometimes called and other times not called.

Along with being a rule that makes just simply playing defense even more difficult, that's a core issue with these rules. You can standardize late hits or rules against blows to the head, but the stuff that the NFL has done as of late is basically done nothing except add more grey areas to the equation to the betterment of nothing. Making previously good clean tackles against the rules is idiotic by itself, the implementation is even more so.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The concept to make football better is simple.... make rules as objective as possible, not subjective to a ref's whims. That's the issue that most fans have with officiating, not that something is against the rules but that something is sometimes called and other times not called.

Along with being a rule that makes just simply playing defense even more difficult, that's a core issue with these rules. You can standardize late hits or rules against blows to the head, but the stuff that the NFL has done as of late is basically done nothing except add more grey areas to the equation to the betterment of nothing. Making previously good clean tackles against the rules is idiotic by itself, the implementation is even more so.
It takes 1 good QB too get hurt and changes get made. Brady gets a torn ACL when a blitzing safety ends up going low on his knees and we have that rule. Rodgers breaks his collarbone on a driving tackle and we get this enforced rule.

There's never an onus on the QB to get rid of the ball earlier to brace for the hit. Brady is the best QB at just tossing the ball at the feet of a RB to avoid a sack. He lives for the next play because he knows he can make it up. The rules are setup to help the QB. They can throw the ball away when they get outside the tackles. Have to make up their mind sooner. Take off and get a couple of yards, throw it away, or hold onto the ball and wait for a receiver to get open and take a shot for a DL or LB.

Very few teams are watchable if their QB goes down, so we get why they want to protect the QB. But, let's put some onus on the QB to get rid of the ball. Use the rules that are in place to throw it away or throw it near a "receiver" so that you brace or avoid contact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->