Helmet Cage Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I never worn a cage before...wear a visor. Thinking about getting a cage with my new helmet. I've heard chrome cages are probably best for visibility. So I've limited down to the chrome, or the Itech two-color cages. Any suggestions in terms of model?

And what about sizing. Never worn one, and it's a pain to get to the shop. What size would I be looking at...I wear a medium helmet and supposedly you measure from eyebrow to chin and that's 7" for me. And how exactly do you wear it? I've seen guys with the cage up in the j-clips and barely touching the chin cup while I've also seen guys with the chin in the cup actually and cage is being help there by the straps only.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
Chrome is nice. I use a chrome Jofa 480 cage, love it. Bauer makes a chrome cage as well, it has more bars and probably protects you face better fro harder impacts. The I2 is basically the same thing as a white cage, don't let anybody else tell you any different, there are no advantages to having a cage that is two colors.

As for sizing, just go into a hockey shop and bring you helmet. Put on the helmet and take a few cages out of their bags and line them up a little lower than the two screws on the front of your helmet. the chin cup should fall onto your chin comfortably. The sizes of the cages are S, M and L. The size of your helmet has no correlation to the size of your cage. An L size cage is only longer than a M size, it will still fit a M helmet.

Hope this helps.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Sock said:
Well, I was wrong!

I'd totally make fun of any guy on my team who was wearing that. Then you'd probably chase me, and I'd run.

But whatever works for ya, eh.

Heh heh, naw I'd take it all in stride. A lot of the OG's in my league rock the original version of this from their playing days in HS. As we all know, the older and more outdated your equipment, the better you are. :teach:

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Seen a couple guys wearing those during drop-in.

Was thinking of getting one online and was trying to figure out relative sizing...but since it should fit nice, I'll probably check some out when I get my skates sharpened.

For the two-tone I2...doesn't the black help with the glare..which is the only thing I'm worried about with the chrome.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
I think it was CCM that did a test on this, but chrome is suppose to be less bother some to your eyes and suppose to be the easiest to see out of over white and black colored cages. Take that factoid with a grain of salt because I'm sure there are people who prefer black or prefer while, it's all personal preferance. I prefer chrome, but don't let that change your judgement, try out all colors when you go shopping and pick whats best for you.

The i2 cage is a sham because you are only going to see whats on the inside of your cage, it could be neon pink on the outside and it wouldnt matter.

Now go buy a cage.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I've always liked Jofa cages. The openings are bigger then CCM and Bauer. Bauer seems to have the smallest openings of the three.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
stick9 said:
I've always liked Jofa cages. The openings are bigger then CCM and Bauer. Bauer seems to have the smallest openings of the three.

i think bauer has a tru - vision cage. i like it. the sqaures are a little wider where your eyes are. you get used to it quickly.

EDIT...

http://www.hockeygiant.com/bau4kcmbttm.html

here is a link..
Bauer 4000 Hockey Helmet w/True Vision Cage

The performance player seeking the most popular helmet in today's market.

Dual-stiffness CELLFLEX foams mechanically bound to provide low-profile protection against both sharp and heavy impacts
Dual-ridged crown provides increased protection by channeling impacts
Ergonomic, removable ear covers combined with floating ear loops provide custom capability and "pro" look
FM4000 TRUE VISION facemask provides secure fit, maximum ventilation, and minimum glare under typical arena lighting

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
nni said:
i think bauer has a tru - vision cage. i like it. the sqaures are a little wider where your eyes are. you get used to it quickly.

EDIT...

http://www.hockeygiant.com/bau4kcmbttm.html

here is a link..
Bauer 4000 Hockey Helmet w/True Vision Cage

The performance player seeking the most popular helmet in today's market.

Dual-stiffness CELLFLEX foams mechanically bound to provide low-profile protection against both sharp and heavy impacts
Dual-ridged crown provides increased protection by channeling impacts
Ergonomic, removable ear covers combined with floating ear loops provide custom capability and "pro" look
FM4000 TRUE VISION facemask provides secure fit, maximum ventilation, and minimum glare under typical arena lighting

Cool, good to know. I take it wasn't looking at a true vision cage when I bought my last one. I would think the Titanium one would be the best since it's super light and will never rust.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
stick9 said:
Cool, good to know. I take it wasn't looking at a true vision cage when I bought my last one. I would think the Titanium one would be the best since it's super light and will never rust.

dont get me wrong its not like it isnt there. just a slight improvment.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I saw a couple titanium cages on eBay a week or so ago. I'm tempted to go for one now that you remind me. But yeah...thinking Jofa chrome cage sounds nice. But since Jofa was bought out, are they coming out with Rbk cages?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
sc37 said:
I never worn a cage before...wear a visor. Thinking about getting a cage with my new helmet. I've heard chrome cages are probably best for visibility. So I've limited down to the chrome, or the Itech two-color cages. Any suggestions in terms of model?

And what about sizing. Never worn one, and it's a pain to get to the shop. What size would I be looking at...I wear a medium helmet and supposedly you measure from eyebrow to chin and that's 7" for me. And how exactly do you wear it? I've seen guys with the cage up in the j-clips and barely touching the chin cup while I've also seen guys with the chin in the cup actually and cage is being help there by the straps only.

Cut the cage with a pair of metal cutters where the eyes are. Take out a couple bars, it will improve your vision tremendously.

Just be sure the cuts you make don't allow pucks or sticks to fit in.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
I don't understand this, you're shopping for a cage, not a new car.

And just as an FYI, that cage with 3 bars is just about as safe as skating around with tin foil on your face. It isn't HECC certified and is illegal in Hockey Canada and USA Hockey, neither are cages that have had bars cut out, so I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
spacelobster said:

And just as an FYI, that cage with 3 bars is just about as safe as skating around with tin foil on your face. It isn't HECC certified and is illegal in Hockey Canada and USA Hockey, neither are cages that have had bars cut out, so I wouldn't do that if I were you.

I didn't say it was certified. It's not as bad as you make it seem. Granted it doesn't offer the same protection as a regular cage, but for a non-checking men's league it's fine, or at least better than nothing.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
spacelobster said:

No one can tell you have bars cut out of your cage if it is done properly.

Me and many of my friends have done it for years and not one of us has been hurt because of it. In fact the improved vision has probably saved me from being laid out on a number of ocassions.

No puck or stick is getting through that space unless the Hulk happens to play in your league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->