Injury Report: Helm out 6 weeks with a dislocated shoulder

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
4th best point scorer
4th most hits (behind Ott, Abby and Glendenning)
1st plus/minus
Tied 2nd in goals
One of the better faceoff guys with 56%

People are so consumed with hate because of his contract, but lets not act like Helm hasn't been an important key player on the team. Helm has stepped up his game and can't/won't/refuse to accept he stepped up his game.

If Tatar had half the heart as Darren Helm, the Wings would be a much better team. But he doesn't. Mantha has been unimpressive other than a nice pass to Z, but otherwise flat. Nyquist is streaky and often looks disconnected. Zetterberg is out of his prime. Larkin looks human 'off'. Helm has been one of DRWs most consistent and better forwards. Even when he's not potting goals, he's out there playing 100% each and every shift. Too bad other players don't take notice and up their compete level.... (looking at you Mantha and Dylan Larkin and Tatar)

Wings team stats as of 11/17

Goals per game: 21st
Goals against per game: 19th
Power Play: 15th
Penalty kill: 27th

Maybe Helm is doing a lot, but it has no effect on whether the Wings are a good team.

Mediocre players just don't move the needle when almost every player on the roster is mediocre.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Nothing you said argues against it being an indictment on the crap roster.

Wings team stats as of 11/17

Goals per game: 21st
Goals against per game: 19th
Power Play: 15th
Penalty kill: 27th

Maybe Helm is doing a lot, but it has no effect on whether the Wings are a good team.

Mediocre players just don't move the needle when almost every player on the roster is mediocre.

Wishing away one of your top players is not the way to make the team better as a whole. Start by wishing away the passengers and duds. Looking at you Tatar. I also haven't been impressed with Nyquist despite his numbers. He is soft, weak and redundant... and leaves more to be desired.

Wings have lots of problems in their forward group, but Helm is the least of those problems.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Wishing away one of your top players is not the way to make the team better as a whole. Start by wishing away the passengers and duds. Looking at you Tatar. I also haven't been impressed with Nyquist despite his numbers. He is soft, weak and redundant... and leaves more to be desired.

Wings have lots of problems in their forward group, but Helm is the least of those problems.

Yeah, but you're missing the point. If Darren Helm is one of our best players offensively and defensively, we're in huge trouble. Darren Helm is going to be 30 in January, Jimmy Howard is going to be 33 in March - this is the future of the team? Helm and Howard are going to be important pieces on this team when we're contending and relevant again?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Heaton, other players were expected to lift up their game. Tatar, Sheahan, Larkin, and Nielsen has been a disappointment.

That's 4 players in the top 6 (and 9) that should be playing way better than they have shown. And we can't blame it all on Datsyuk not feeding them the puck, because not all those players were riding high on the Pavel waves.

We can blame coaching, but I don't think it's a coaching issue either. Maybe they all feel soft and cozy because they think they won't be traded. KH should trade the player that nobody thinks he'll every trade; Larkin, and prove nobody is safe.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

What? Lol that has nothing to with what we said. Helm being a top player on our roster means our roster is bad more than it means helm is good.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Heaton, other players were expected to lift up their game. Tatar, Sheahan, Larkin, and Nielsen has been a disappointment.

That's 4 players in the top 6 (and 9) that should be playing way better than they have shown. And we can't blame it all on Datsyuk not feeding them the puck, because not all those players were riding high on the Pavel waves.

We can blame coaching, but I don't think it's a coaching issue either. Maybe they all feel soft and cozy because they think they won't be traded. KH should trade the player that nobody thinks he'll every trade; Larkin, and prove nobody is safe.

Orrrrrrrr maybe kh sucks at constructing a roster and our players just aren't exceptionally good at playing hockey?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Right, this is what happens when you have no elite talent, the team isn't very good and the supporting cast regresses. This is why many of us didn't want to see a bunch of veterans re-signed just to attempt to keep the streak alive when there was no path for actually getting better.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
4th best point scorer
4th most hits (behind Ott, Abby and Glendenning)
1st plus/minus
Tied 2nd in goals
One of the better faceoff guys with 56%

People are so consumed with hate because of his contract, but lets not act like Helm hasn't been an important key player on the team. Helm has stepped up his game and can't/won't/refuse to accept he stepped up his game.

If Tatar had half the heart as Darren Helm, the Wings would be a much better team. But he doesn't. Mantha has been unimpressive other than a nice pass to Z, but otherwise flat. Nyquist is streaky and often looks disconnected. Zetterberg is out of his prime. Larkin looks human 'off'. Helm has been one of DRWs most consistent and better forwards. Even when he's not potting goals, he's out there playing 100% each and every shift. Too bad other players don't take notice and up their compete level.... (looking at you Mantha and Dylan Larkin and Tatar)

Average at faceoff, plus minus is a bs stat, with the chances he gets and his power play time he should have more.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
plus minus is a bs stat

This myth needs to die. I am not saying it is a perfect stat but:

1) if +/- is BS so is every other advanced stat. They are ALL a result of several players executing on ice.

2) +/- with context such as Zone starts, quality of Comp., team comparisons, etc. can be extremely revealing.

3) It can demonstrate long term trends

4) Many players take a ton of pride in being a + player and their play reflects this. If the players care about having a good +/- stat line, it is fundamentally not BS. They are taking specific actions to keep their stat in good standing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This myth needs to die. I am not saying it is a perfect stat but:

1) if +/- is BS so is every other advanced stat. They are ALL a result of several players executing on ice.

2) +/- with context such as Zone starts, quality of Comp., team comparisons, etc. can be extremely revealing.

3) It can demonstrate long term trends

4) Many players take a ton of pride in being a + player and their play reflects this. If the players care about having a good +/- stat line, it is fundamentally not BS. They are taking specific actions to keep their stat in good standing.

Source for #4???

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Source for #4???

It will take some searching but I will try to follow up. It came up on my twitter feed a week ago with specific commentary from an active player.

Edit:

This wasn't my original reference but its closest I have time to find at work:

Jeff Schultz “It’s one of those stats where some guys say ‘it counts’ and others say it doesn’t mean anything’. But to myself, whenever you can say that you’re a leader of a category in the NHL, it’s something to be proud of. It’s one thing that I can look back on and say, ‘One year I led the NHL in a category’ and it’s something that I take pride in.”

http://www.phpa.com/news/story/820

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad