Hello XM, goodbye Sirius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skroob*

Leaf Lander said:
meanwhile mlb fansgenerally are not hockey fasn so they make there accnt inactive at xm till april and hockey fanswill amke there accnts inactive when there team gets elimnated from the playoff race anddont reactivate till nov

are you typing with your toes???

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
I've never really been interested in satellite radio, but lately I've found myself considering getting into it. So far I've broken it down to this:

Sirius:
Better music stations (for my tastes, anyway)
English Premiership Soccer

XM:
NHL
MLB
Better technology

I'm not as a big on soccer as I am on hockey or baseball, but it still appeals to. The only thing stopping me from going with XM is the music selection. The Sirius stations that appeal to me look really good, the XM ones on the other hand... So, convince me one way or the other.

Skroob*

Shane said:
I've never really been interested in satellite radio, but lately I've found myself considering getting into it. So far I've broken it down to this:

Sirius:
Better music stations (for my tastes, anyway)
English Premiership Soccer

XM:
NHL
MLB
Better technology

I'm not as a big on soccer as I am on hockey or baseball, but it still appeals to. The only thing stopping me from going with XM is the music selection. The Sirius stations that appeal to me look really good, the XM ones on the other hand... So, convince me one way or the other.

if in your mind its a draw in terms of programs, look to the equipment, in where XM is years (pretty much literally) ahead of Sirius.

What it comes down to is all of the XM hardware is made in house by their own teams and Sirius is outsourced to generic electronic companies who's interests and resources are also going to other unrelated products for other companies.

Tress

Jul 21, 2005
Brighton, MA
If you want to try out each out, each service offers three days free of their online feeds. Most of the non-music channels aren't on either companies online feeds, but you will get a good taste of the music. To me, the music on each service is pretty comperable to each other (I used to have both services). What made me stay with XM and drop Sirius was a couple of things:

1) Technology - I have a Myfi, and it's great. I never walk to any classes without it. My Sirius XACT PNP was just a huge brick.

2) Opie and Anthony - I was a big fan during the WNEW days (through syndication underground), and as soon as I heard they were going to XM, I was sold.

3) I like the sports talk channels on XM better than Sirius. Although Sports Byline has Dave Meltzer's radio show....in general, Sporting News Radio has the best shows.

4) As much as I like hockey, I always made sure to be home for games...or listening to the online feed of WIP. NHL on XM is really just a bonus for me.

5) At the time, XM was cheaper. It's no longer the case (both are the same price).

I don't think you can go wrong with either service, it just depends on what you want. And if you can't decide......get both. Show terrestrial radio that it won't do it for you any more.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Tress said:
If you want to try out each out, each service offers three days free of their online feeds. Most of the non-music channels aren't on either companies online feeds, but you will get a good taste of the music. To me, the music on each service is pretty comperable to each other (I used to have both services). What made me stay with XM and drop Sirius was a couple of things:

1) Technology - I have a Myfi, and it's great. I never walk to any classes without it. My Sirius XACT PNP was just a huge brick.

2) Opie and Anthony - I was a big fan during the WNEW days (through syndication underground), and as soon as I heard they were going to XM, I was sold.

3) I like the sports talk channels on XM better than Sirius. Although Sports Byline has Dave Meltzer's radio show....in general, Sporting News Radio has the best shows.

4) As much as I like hockey, I always made sure to be home for games...or listening to the online feed of WIP. NHL on XM is really just a bonus for me.

5) At the time, XM was cheaper. It's no longer the case (both are the same price).

I don't think you can go wrong with either service, it just depends on what you want. And if you can't decide......get both. Show terrestrial radio that it won't do it for you any more.

I definitely can't afford both, but I'm leaning towards XM at the moment. Which company has the 24/7 NHL talk station? That would probably rank third in importance behind music and technology, and could be the deciding factor.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
few questions

I have sirius right now..

1. Will all NHL games be aired on sirius until 07-08?
2. Will all NHL games be aired on XM this season?
3. Does sirius/xm actually air EVERY game? Or just a few? It seems as if sirius really doesn't air EVERY MLB and NBA game.
4. Someone had mentioned CBC's HNIC radio broadcast on XM in the future, will this allow American XM subscribers access to that broadcast?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
CrescentSt said:
I have sirius right now..

1. Will all NHL games be aired on sirius until 07-08?
2. Will all NHL games be aired on XM this season?
3. Does sirius/xm actually air EVERY game? Or just a few? It seems as if sirius really doesn't air EVERY MLB and NBA game.
4. Someone had mentioned CBC's HNIC radio broadcast on XM in the future, will this allow American XM subscribers access to that broadcast?

Well XM does use the Blue Jays broadcast for their MLB coverage and they weren't even into Canada yet. I don't know why they wouldn't use CBC's national radio brodcast.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leaf Lander said:
meanwhile mlb fansgenerally are not hockey fasn so they make there accnt inactive at xm till april and hockey fanswill amke there accnts inactive when there team gets elimnated from the playoff race anddont reactivate till nov

So MLB fans spend approxmately $100 on the unit and boombox and only listen to it for baseball and suspend their accounts?

Wrong answer. That is completely assanine.

Tress

Jul 21, 2005
Brighton, MA
Shane - Sirius doesn't offer a 24/7 hockey talk channel anymore (at least according to their website.....I dropped Sirius months ago). XM says that they will offer a 24/7 NHL talk channel.

Cresent -

1. Yes, NHL games will be on Sirius and XM until the 07-08 season. At that time, XM's deal with the NHL becomes an exclusive deal.

2. XM claims "more than 1,000" games will be broadcast on XM. It could mean all, but I figure if they were doing all...they would have said it.

3. Same as above. Sirius has 3 stations dedicated towards hockey play-by-play (typically). If XM uses the baseball stations for NHL hockey in baseball's offseason, then they will have access to 15 channels. But nobody knows for sure yet. Sirius claims they show "up to 40 games a week" while XM claims to show "over 1,000 games a year".

- I'm not sure if you are made a mistake by saying that Sirius covers baseball, or if you were trying to say the NFL, but both Sirius and XM respectively cover all games of the NFL and MLB.

4. Most likely. There probably won't be any discrepancies between the American and Canadian services. Both CSR (XM's Canadian company) and Sirius Canada do need to add additional channels that are "Canadian", meaning music channels dedicated to Canadian artists, or Canadian talk channels, or whatever. Everybody will get these changes. I think it would be too hard to make each service different from each other.

Hope that helps.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply and well thought out response. I appreciate it. Anytime I'm in my car during hockey season, it's usually whats on in my car 90% of the time. Take a great play by play man and hockey can be pretty exciting in the car if you can't be near a TV.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tress said:
Shane - Sirius doesn't offer a 24/7 hockey talk channel anymore (at least according to their website.....I dropped Sirius months ago). XM says that they will offer a 24/7 NHL talk channel.

Cresent -

1. Yes, NHL games will be on Sirius and XM until the 07-08 season. At that time, XM's deal with the NHL becomes an exclusive deal.

2. XM claims "more than 1,000" games will be broadcast on XM. It could mean all, but I figure if they were doing all...they would have said it.

3. Same as above. Sirius has 3 stations dedicated towards hockey play-by-play (typically). If XM uses the baseball stations for NHL hockey in baseball's offseason, then they will have access to 15 channels. But nobody knows for sure yet. Sirius claims they show "up to 40 games a week" while XM claims to show "over 1,000 games a year".

- I'm not sure if you are made a mistake by saying that Sirius covers baseball, or if you were trying to say the NFL, but both Sirius and XM respectively cover all games of the NFL and MLB.

4. Most likely. There probably won't be any discrepancies between the American and Canadian services. Both CSR (XM's Canadian company) and Sirius Canada do need to add additional channels that are "Canadian", meaning music channels dedicated to Canadian artists, or Canadian talk channels, or whatever. Everybody will get these changes. I think it would be too hard to make each service different from each other.

Hope that helps.

Wait...Sirius only offered 3 games a night?

XM will probably have to create a few extra channels because baseball and hockey overlap during each other's playoffs

Last edited:

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
go kim johnsson 514 said:

XM will probably have to create a few extra channels because baseball and hockey overlap during each other's playoffs
yeah. baseball's playoffs start the same day as NHL opening night

Skroob*

perhaps not?

15 channels of baseball/hockey usage.

once the MLB PO's do start you will only have, 4 games to broadcast in the biggest round, the first, and thats if they all play the same night. that leaves 11+ channels for hockey. Opening night may be a problem, since all teams are playing, but beyond that, the rest of the NHL should fit on the leftover 11 or 12 channels.

Spring may be difficult for the 1st round or two of NHL action, (8 games and 4 games) when baseball comes back around, since most teams play every night (meaning baseball will need as many channels as possible). But again, not ever baseball team plays every night (free up say 1 or 2 channels), and hockey tries to alternate days as well.

It seems like perhaps just a small number of games would have to be left un-broadcasted, and at that, only in the spring.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
I recently got satellite radio and had been torn for some time between XM and Sirius. Sirius won out for one reason, the NHL. I wish I would have waited about a week to get my receiver since XM will have the NHL as well. Maybe when XM is the exclusive home of the NHL I'll switch, but for the forseeable future, I'll stick with Sirius.

As for Stern, I could care less. I'm not interested in his show at all. His show was never carried in Atlanta (Although it was rumored quite a bit since Infinity owns several station, and everytime 92.9 dropped their morning show, the Stern rumor would pop up.), so my exposure to Stern was on E!, which was really Stern Lite. I remember years ago watching his show he had on WOR back when my cable company carried WOR.

Skroob*

vespajet said:
so my exposure to Stern was on E!, which was really Stern Lite. I remember years ago watching his show he had on WOR back when my cable company carried WOR.

Actually, Stern Lite is pretty much what you have been getting on the radio, too, since about, oh, 1986 or so.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
The E! show is hardly representative of the Howard Stern show. Quite frankly... I think its a very poor representation. People see it and think the radio show is just a bunch of t&a jokes which is FAR from the truth.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Skroob said:
Actually, Stern Lite is pretty much what you have been getting on the radio, too, since about, oh, 1986 or so.

As opposed to O&A which has been a C grade Stern show ripoff for their entire existance?

Skroob*

You would have to listen to Opie and Anthony.

It wouldnt have had to been the only place.

Another DJ on Krock (92.3, the same that Stern is based out of) here in NYC, named Lazlo, was using that clip, as well as a verison he made (with children doing the lines) for his show intro's.

In typical Howie fashion, however, he went crying to his bosses and had the mean man stop making fun of him.

But then again, you knew that GKJ514 ;)

Skroob*

dem said:
Is that all O&A has? "HOO HOO" and "Tell 'em Fred"?

Well, its the latest little bit they've done, so its kinda fresh in our minds.

Of course, we could pretend its still 1983 and prank call people, yelling out "Ba-ba booey."

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
Anthony said:
so what does it mean

i dont get the joke
someone called into Howard in like 2000 and asked about Opie and Anthony's WOW promotion.

Howard claimed to have invented it (he didn't) when he was in Washington DC, except it wasn't WOW exactly because people that participated would "tie a bandana around their car" and girls would "take their clothes off." he then proceeded to instruct Fred to "tell 'em" that what he was saying was accurate. Fred said nothing.

Now, any time anyone says something along the lines of "ripping off," "clones," etc., the response is "Tell 'em Fred"

also, Hoo-Hoo is the sound Howard makes when he laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad