Hello XM, goodbye Sirius

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/09-12-2005/0004105461&EDATE=

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2005/12/c8559.html

NHL announces long term deal with XM satellite radio (for US) and a Canadian satellite radio deal as well.

The last satellite radio deal I remember (back 2-3 seasons) was with Sirius. (So did XM "win the war"? ;) ) XM begins broadcasting this fall, becoming the *exclusive* satellite radio provider starting with the 2007-2008 season.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Oh no :(

Now I have to choose between Stern and hockey :shakehead

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I'll pick Stern.
I can watch hockey on tv. I dont think i want to listen to out of town games on the radio anyway =P

NotJT

Jun 28, 2005
wow, 10 years $100 million, that is a sweet deal for the NHL imho.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Hockeyfan02 said:
So for people in the States: Sirius will broadcast the next two seasons (05-06, 06-07) then XM takes over in 07-08?

Not Quite. Sirius will finish out their contract for the next two years, but XM will start this season and become the exclusive satellite broadcast outlet starting in '07. So for the next two years, it looks like the NHL will be on both Sirius and XM.

XM will begin broadcasting NHL games with the launch of the new 2005-2006 season and will become the League's exclusive satellite radio broadcast partner in 2007.

Rico__Persson*

NotJT said:
wow, 10 years $100 million, that is a sweet deal for the NHL imho.

Sweet deal for the NHL. What about Howard?

Sirius is paying him $500,000,000 over 5 years.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I have a feeling Sirius will overtake XM fairly quickly when Stern actually moves over. Im sure hes going to do a whole media blitz.

And i dont like O&A :p:

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
dem said:
I have a feeling Sirius will overtake XM fairly quickly when Stern actually moves over. Im sure hes going to do a whole media blitz.

And i dont like O&A :p:

Not a chance..Stern has not done a true radio show in the last 5 years...he has mailed it in. Also Artie Lange will not be making the move with Stern when he moves to Sirius which would be the only reason to go with Sirius. Check the public info on both companies...Sirius has 1.8 million subscibers while XM has almost 5 million. Stern will not close that 3.2 million gap, he'll be lucky to pull 500,000 at best.

Anthony*

uh

artie said he was going to sirius

he just didnt say if he was going to stay the whole five years

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tress said:
As a proud XM Myfi owner, I say excellent.

Oh, and O&A Party Rock!

I was sifting through stories on my cellphone via internet today when I came across this. I think this is great because first of all, Sirius is run by a bunch of idiots, but it is geared toward a more urban audience. I don't think their experiment with NASCAR will work because of this but they have to try to broaden their reach. Sirius is also throwing money at anything that is a name in the entertainment world just to bring in subscribers (Howard Stern is only going to be working 4 days a week, plus 12 weeks of vacation, and he is only going to broadcast 3 hours a day). Also, while Sirius has already expanded into Canada, XM is about to do it, and this will certainly give them a jump. XM already blows away Sirius when it comes to income and subscribers. When it comes down to it, Sirius probably just couldn't afford the NHL after it picked up NASCAR, while XM could afford it, and at the same time reaching into Canada, which is a genius marketing ploy. Towards the end of the article it also talked about how Jim Norton is is touring he country and to go to www.eatabullet.com for details.

Skroob*

dem said:
Yeah
Stern is getting 100 mil a year for 5 years.

and to do only 4 shows a week, too.

I invented hockey. Hoo-hoo, tell 'em Fred!

Skroob*

Flyers26 said:
O&A work thier butts off everyday, trying to rebuild their careers.

Debateable (considering the last few months), but they still are 10x better than Hoo-Hoo-Howie. ;)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Chuck Shick said:
Go with XM dude cause Sirius will collapse trying to pay Stern his 100 million a year

If Stern brings 1 million(i think the actual figure is closer to 800,000, but factor in advertising and such before he moves) new customers to Sirius, then the deal pays itself off.

Personally I see Sirius intially gaining that when he switches over, but it will really make a difference in the nbext couple years when people look at satilite radio as an option, they will choose sirius because oh that's the one Howard Went too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->