Hellebuyck Nominated for Vezina Trophy

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Way to go Helle, win or lose you're now my favourite Jet goalie of all time.

Sorry Joe
Sorry Bob

Reactions: Jets 31

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Could Helle actually win? Small sample but.........

LeBrun: Jets didn't doubt Connor Hellebuyck's ability to...

The people who decide the Vezina Trophy are the league’s 31 GMs. And while the betting money is on Rinne, two of the three GMs I quickly reached out to Tuesday said they had the Jets netminder at the top of their ballot. Who knows how it went over 31 GM ballots, but it shows you the respect Hellebuyck has earned.
“Obviously I think he was deserving,’’ one Western Conference GM, who voted Hellebuyck first on his ballot, told The Athletic via text message. “Great season and he made a big difference in that team. I thought they underachieved as a team last year, mostly because of goaltending that wasn’t elite. This year it was.’’

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Why?

You can make a case for him being the most consistent of the 3. I don't really understand why Renne gets so much attention.

Rinne gets so much attention as he has the best stats. He is not overhyped at all. He just is so good and luckily, this year Helle is also very good.

Both are deserving it, but I guess Helle wins it because his huge bounce back after a weakish last season. On the other hand Rinne could get it as a "career award".

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Safe to say that Gibson was snubbed BIG TIME. He carried Anaheim way more than any of the three finalists did to their respective teams.

Reactions: Mathil8

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Hellebuyck wins it for the fact that Nashville and Tampa had much better defence. But overall, I'm just happy he gets the well deserved nomination.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Without Helly i don't think the Jets make the playoffs , especially since we pretty much went all year without a backup goalie . All time NHL record for wins by a US goaltender , i would put him at a tie with Vas . But I'm ok if Helly wins the Con Smyth instead . :thumbu:

Reactions: untouchable21

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Maybe if he wins it, Ron Maclean will stop calling him Helly-buck. Cripes man even that neanderthal Nick Kypreos knows how to pronounce it right, c'mon Ron just listen to how he says it or are you being edgy on purpose.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Maybe if he wins it, Ron Maclean will stop calling him Helly-buck. Cripes man even that neanderthal Nick Kypreos knows how to pronounce it right, c'mon Ron just listen to how he says it or are you being edgy on purpose.

He's confusing him with Chuck E. Cheese. Something to do with ears.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I recall a very similar picture to this one with a different goalie.

IMG_0976.jpg

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
If there is one thing a team can spend money on, it is a damn fine goalie.

I've thought about it and Helle can stay.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So pleased for Hellebuyck!! First Vezina candidate for a Jets team? :huh:
4 Jets 1.0 goalies received votes. Bob Essensa in 1991-92 finished 3rd in Vezina voting, so he'd have shown up in the "Finalists" tweet, had Twitter been around back then.

Other Jets 1.0 goalies receiving votes were Hayward in 84-85 (5th), and Reddick (4th) and Berthiaume (8th) in 86-87.

Khabibulin got some votes in 2001-02 and 2002-03 (8th and 7th place, respectively) when he was with Tampa.

Edit: Lehtonen recieved one 3rd place vote in 2013-14 with the Dallas Stars.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanadalainen

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Why does everyone say that Tampa and Nashville have so much better defenses than Winnipeg? Looking at all the numbers, Wpg, Nsh and TB are all really close. Honestly wondering what is making people say that? The top four D of each team are really good. Subban, Ellis, Ekholm & Josi in NSH, Hedman, McDonagh, Stralman & Sergachev in TB and Byfuglien, Morrissey, Trouba and Enstrom (or Myers) in WPG. All three groups are really sold.

Here's some team stats for reference. I don't think the argument that NSH and TB have better D's so Helle should win is as much of a deal breaker as it sounds. They DO have better overall numbers, but not by that wide of a margin where it's relevant. In my opinion anyway. Maybe there are more stats out there that I'm not seeing?

team GAA
1 (2nd oa) Nashville 2.49
2 (5th oa) Winnipeg 2.63
3 (13th oa) Tampa 2.85

team SP%
1 (1st oa) Nashville .923
2 (4th oa) Winnipeg .917
3 (8th oa) Tampa .913

team SAT%
1 (7th oa) Tampa 51.63
2 (8th oa) Nashville 51.51
3 (9th oa) Winnipeg 51.51

team PDO ES (SP% + Sv%)
1 (1st oa) Tampa 102.0
2 (2nd oa) Nashville 101.6
3 (8th oa) Winnipeg 101.0

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Why does everyone say that Tampa and Nashville have so much better defenses than Winnipeg? Looking at all the numbers, Wpg, Nsh and TB are all really close. Honestly wondering what is making people say that? The top four D of each team are really good. Subban, Ellis, Ekholm & Josi in NSH, Hedman, McDonagh, Stralman & Sergachev in TB and Byfuglien, Morrissey, Trouba and Enstrom (or Myers) in WPG. All three groups are really sold.

Here's some team stats for reference. I don't think the argument that NSH and TB have better D's so Helle should win is as much of a deal breaker as it sounds. They DO have better overall numbers, but not by that wide of a margin where it's relevant. In my opinion anyway. Maybe there are more stats out there that I'm not seeing?

team GAA
1 (2nd oa) Nashville 2.49
2 (5th oa) Winnipeg 2.63
3 (13th oa) Tampa 2.85

team SP%
1 (1st oa) Nashville .923
2 (4th oa) Winnipeg .917
3 (8th oa) Tampa .913

team SAT%
1 (7th oa) Tampa 51.63
2 (8th oa) Nashville 51.51
3 (9th oa) Winnipeg 51.51

team PDO ES (SP% + Sv%)
1 (1st oa) Tampa 102.0
2 (2nd oa) Nashville 101.6
3 (8th oa) Winnipeg 101.0
Yes, Winnipeg has been defensively solid - especially at 5v5. On the PK they trade volume for quality and some think that could come back to bite them, but overall the team has been great at keeping chances, and more importantly, dangerous chances down.

CatSplat

Feb 7, 2017
Maybe it's just me but I really dislike it when people abbreviate Winnipeg as WIN instead of WPG.

Friedman has stated he intentionally uses weird abbreviations because it annoys the fans and he finds it funny. He does it for lots of teams, WIN instead of WPG, CAL instead of CGY, etc.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Friedman has stated he intentionally uses weird abbreviations because it annoys the fans and he finds it funny. He does it for lots of teams, WIN instead of WPG, CAL instead of CGY, etc.

That makes me feel better. At least I know he was trying to be a d-bag on purpose.

:jets

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Congrats Helle.
He transformed his game in the offseason and has provided the Jets with top level goaltending for the first time since the Jets returned to Winnipeg. He proved me and other doubters wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad