Post-Game Talk: Hellebuyck and the Paper Jets beat leafs 4-3

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Apart from a couple games at the start, the 2nd Canucks game is the only one recently, where I thought they played a below average game. This team is a consistent goalie and maybe another top 4 defender away from great things.
Half way thru after tomorrow. Anything can happen.

I'm pretty happy with the D, I'm thinking one more 2 way forward and pray one of our goaltenders goes on a hot streak

This team could go a long way with those elements imo

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
Jets fan coming in peace. Usually it the whole we're better than you guys, no we're better than you guys argument. Honestly either your team or our team have the best chance to make it to the finals this year. You guys by far, not even close, have the better defense, have some pretty amazing forwards and depth but just need that solid game in game out goaltending. While we are the opposite and having not very good defense, pretty solid forward lines and amazing goaltending. Not sure who and how you guys could get a very good goalie but maybe a trade with say Anaheim (Gibson+Silfverberg) for (Andersen+Nylander+2nd round pick). I think Gibson is very good just has a horrible team infront of him, his GAA is usually low and Sv% is usually high. Just don't think he's gonna go anywhere with that team and better off on a contender. Anaheim could resign Andersen in the offseason for cheaper and mentor a younger goalie, Miller will probably retire and Stolarz and Dostal can battle it out for the backup.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Jets fan coming in peace. Usually it the whole we're better than you guys, no we're better than you guys argument. Honestly either your team or our team have the best chance to make it to the finals this year. You guys by far, not even close, have the better defense, have some pretty amazing forwards and depth but just need that solid game in game out goaltending. While we are the opposite and having not very good defense, pretty solid forward lines and amazing goaltending. Not sure who and how you guys could get a very good goalie but maybe a trade with say Anaheim (Gibson+Silfverberg) for (Andersen+Nylander+2nd round pick). I think Gibson is very good just has a horrible team infront of him, his GAA is usually low and Sv% is usually high. Just don't think he's gonna go anywhere with that team and better off on a contender. Anaheim could resign Andersen in the offseason for cheaper and mentor a younger goalie, Miller will probably retire and Stolarz and Dostal can battle it out for the backup.

Gibson has been a big reason why Anaheim has been losing. Anaheim sucks offensively, but their defense has not deteriorated nearly as much as Gibson has the past two years. He is struggling, and can't blame it all on the team in front of him.

He may do better with a better team in front of him, but he could also just continue to struggle.

Leafs are also not paying Nylander for him.

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
Gibson has been a big reason why Anaheim has been losing. Anaheim sucks offensively, but their defense has not deteriorated nearly as much as Gibson has the past two years. He is struggling, and can't blame it all on the team in front of him.

He may do better with a better team in front of him, but he could also just continue to struggle.

No no, I was thinking (Gibson for Andersen) and Nylander+2nd for Silfverberg) since Gibson is signed long term for a decent price, the Ducks would have to resign Andersen if they wanted in the offseason. Silfverberg for Nylander and a 2nd just to offset the costs of contracts. Just not sure of another goalie you guys could get that could take you over the hump and would be available.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
No no, I was thinking (Gibson for Andersen) and Nylander+2nd for Silfverberg) since Gibson is signed long term for a decent price, the Ducks would have to resign Andersen if they wanted in the offseason. Silfverberg for Nylander and a 2nd just to offset the costs of contracts. Just not sure of another goalie you guys could get that could take you over the hump and would be available.
I'm sorry why are the Leafs trading Nylander for Silfverberg? Nevermind adding a 2nd? Silfverberg is no bueno.

Reactions: Confucius and zeke

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Vasilevsky, Binnington, Holtby, Murray, Crawford, Quick, Thomas, Niemmi, Fleury, Osgood, Ward. All those guys were playing GREAT hockey, if we want to be in the conversation with legitimate contenders, it is an area that needs to be addressed asap. We have the best defensive structure we've ever had, the best team since as long as I can remember, and yet his play and numbers are both very underwhelming.

You're not wrong but they all had great goaltending + + +, many fringe players who are 3rd liners /4th liners, played their hearts out for their Cup winning teams. Smith Pelly got 7 goals the year Washington won the cup, his career high is 8 goals in a season. That would be like a guy Boyd or Mikheyev scoring 7 in the playoffs. Many of the cup losing teams had super hot goalies too. You need goalies plus plus plus to win the cup.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Silfverberg's age alone is enough to scare me away, Willie is 24 and Silfverberg is 30..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I’m impressed that you watch the Ducks. You must be the only one.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Just had a thought. Can you imagine if Nylander had done the boot deflection instead of Matthews? My word this market would have burned his house down. And Fred would probably have been praised as a poor, unsuspecting victim.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Love Campbell but he’s only played 9 games for us we really don’t know what we have yet aside from the great personality...here’s hoping he is that guy we’ve been looking for but we should probably relax on the expectations until we know what he is
Agreed but he is our only hope at this point ... going with Freddy is a known recipe for disaster once again

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yep add in Habs too ... TBH da team who comes in 1st place will have a slight advantage of playing a much easier 1st round series ... I hope it is us but tending is our sore spot and a weak shut down line too

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad