Value of: Heed, LaDue, Folin, Nelson, Welinski, Santini, Dotchin, C.Wideman or Schmaltz to Edmonton

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd move Schmaltz for fairly cheap just to give the guy a fighting shot in the NHL. He is ready but our defense is stacked in front of him.
That doesn't really happen though. Blues are 1 injury away from needing him, We're not that deep with RHD dman.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Firstly, wow, what a civilized thread. Good job keeping this calm and logical guys. I dig i

Secondly I'm totally on board with bringing in a RD to keep the kids boiling in the minors but I'd prefer one with a little more experience. A true stop gap. Maturity and poise over potential for that role this year for me. Rather than bringing in someone who could potentially fill the role but hasn't gotten a chance with their team, I'd prefer someone who had had that NHL experience. Dotchin would be perfect for the role. 4th this year or 3rd in a future draft would work for both teams.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Firstly, wow, what a civilized thread. Good job keeping this calm and logical guys. I dig i

Secondly I'm totally on board with bringing in a RD to keep the kids boiling in the minors but I'd prefer one with a little more experience. A true stop gap. Maturity and poise over potential for that role this year for me. Rather than bringing in someone who could potentially fill the role but hasn't gotten a chance with their team, I'd prefer someone who had had that NHL experience. Dotchin would be perfect for the role. 4th this year or 3rd in a future draft would work for both teams.

Again, other Lightning fans may disagree with me but I just don’t think that would cut it. A year from now and we’d be looking for the exact same thing and would gladly trade a 3rd or a 4th to get it. It’s one thing to move Dotchin if we’re getting a roster piece that genuinely makes us a better team now, or even something like a 2nd that we could throw in a package or at least have a solid chance of using to draft a player who will be better than Dotchin down the road. But the odds of a 3rd or 4th round pick even making the NHL are low enough that I don’t see why we’d give up cheap, experienced RHD depth to acquire one, especially when such depth will be our biggest need in a year.

After next season our NHL depth chart on the right side will consist of Sergachev, Dotchin, and two guys in Cernak and Foote who have yet to play a shift in the NHL and who are unlikely to get more than a cup of coffee this coming season unless one of them really impresses in camp and/or Girardi falls off hard. Cernak and Foote should both be better than Dotchin in the long run but there’s no guarantee they’ll both be there by the season after next, nor is there a guarantee that neither will get injured at some point. And while we’d obviously prefer to bring in someone better than Dotchin to help stabilize the right side of our defense after Stralman, Girardi, and Coburn walk, doing so would require trading someone with a full NTC (which we obviously can’t count on) or letting Gourde walk (which we obviously don’t want to do) to clear the necessary cap space. So as much as we’d rather not have to rely on Dotchin until we have a better option, need his roster spot for a better purpose, or are at least offered something that would make us want to take the risk of having to find a replacement for him, I don’t see why we’d move him.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
... how bad is Demelo?
He just doesn’t do or bring anything good to the table
No offense, average at best defense. Handles the puck like a grenade. I guess he can take a hit alright
I dunno, even if Heed only becomes an offensive bottom pairing defensman at his best id still much rather have that than a half warm body

Most Shark fans wish we just dropped him and gave Heed his spot

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Sharks could likely get Wideman at the deadline or possibly a bit earlier for anything from a 4th to a 6th rounder, I'd guess. Maybe take back an AHL tweener contract on top of it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Nobody really gets that upset when all you’re looking for is a 6/7 defenceman

Reactions: Taytro

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'd move Ladue for an overpayment. Not sure what that would be though.

The true Kings Dman Edmonton should be targeting is Voynov. I know the PR nightmare would suck but how else are you going to get a top 4 RHD for cheap.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Curious as to the trade value and availability of a few different inexpensive defencemen...

Tim Heed (SJS)
Andy Welinski (ANA)
Christian Folin (PHI)
Casey Nelson (BUF)
Paul LaDue (LAK)
Steve Santini (NJD)
Jake Dotchin (TBL)
Chris Wideman (OTT)
Jordan Schmaltz (STL)

Any of these guys available for a pick and a B prospect?
I'd say Schmaltz is probably available. An average prospect is probably all they'd ask for.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He just doesn’t do or bring anything good to the table
No offense, average at best defense. Handles the puck like a grenade. I guess he can take a hit alright
I dunno, even if Heed only becomes an offensive bottom pairing defensman at his best id still much rather have that than a half warm body

Most Shark fans wish we just dropped him and gave Heed his spot
Demelo's biggest flaw is that he has the poise of a mouse on crack. It's pretty rough to watch

Reactions: Satastic

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
To add to Bluedreams post:

Looking at our roster I'd rather have players 21-23 to be one defenceman and 2 forwards and that's kinda hard with having both Gunnarsson and Schmaltz in our roster. Personally I'd rather trade one of Gunnarsson or Schmaltz to avoid running 2 extra defenceman, where I prefer to keep the latter as we are seriously lacking righthanded defencemen depth. We're still going to have Mikkola, Reinke and Walman playing for the Rampage, so it wouldn't be a huge disaster if one of Schmaltz/Gunnarsson is traded.

However, if we decide to trade Schmaltz to Edmonton what picks and / or prospects does Edmonton seem fit to send back to St. Louis?
Personally I would prefer either righthanded defenceman prospects or young forward prospects that are at least a couple of years away from the NHL (drafted between 2016-2018?) as we are currently stacked with forward prospects. I also wouldn't mind to add a pick or lesser prospect if that would return a better prospect. We already have an abundance of lefthanded defenceman prospects in our system so unless it's a really really good player I'd skip over LD's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad