Value of: Heed, LaDue, Folin, Nelson, Welinski, Santini, Dotchin, C.Wideman or Schmaltz to Edmonton

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Flyers just signed Folin has month, but if you want to overpay for him with a 2nd or even 3rd, have at it.

You can also have Andrew MacDonald for absolutely free.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Only Andrew MacDonald could be the center of such a nonsensical transaction :laugh:

Oh wholeheartedly disagree.

Let’s imagine a scenario where every team gets to force a trade of a terrible player/contract on someone else unless they pay a ransom.

‘Philly, you guys have to take Lucic.’

‘Aw man... okay fine. Our 2019 first rounder or Konecny to keep that shit far, far away’

Reactions: Rebels57

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah I think Dotchin could be had pretty cheaply right now

One guy seems to disagree but most Tampa fans seem to think a mid round pick gets it done. I think that’s exactly what Edmonton needs right now - a cheap option that’s old enough that he won’t be hurt by sitting some nights, but not so old that he doesn’t have any potential.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I think with Dotchin I can see easily why the shine went o ff from one year to the next, even though I saw him minimally. His usage changed, drastically. He went from what looks like sheltered minutes two years ago to real minutes last year. His OZ starts dropped from what looks like highly sheltered to challenging, and his ratio of PP time to SH time went from 11-1 to 1-4.

You see it all the time, the new D shows up, gets easy minutes, looks great, then when thrown into the tougher role quickly wilts. See Claesson from last year. He went from everyones favorite player to have a huge jump when he was promoted to first pairing from the third, to favorite whipping boy faster than you can say "That Kucherov guy is much harder to stop than Chiasson"..

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think with Dotchin I can see easily why the shine went o ff from one year to the next, even though I saw him minimally. His usage changed, drastically. He went from what looks like sheltered minutes two years ago to real minutes last year. His OZ starts dropped from what looks like highly sheltered to challenging, and his ratio of PP time to SH time went from 11-1 to 1-4.

You see it all the time, the new D shows up, gets easy minutes, looks great, then when thrown into the tougher role quickly wilts. See Claesson from last year. He went from everyones favorite player to have a huge jump when he was promoted to first pairing from the third, to favorite whipping boy faster than you can say "That Kucherov guy is much harder to stop than Chiasson"..
Nah, his usage didn’t really change all that much. He was with Hedman the entire time for both.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Nah, his usage didn’t really change all that much. He was with Hedman the entire time for both.
He may have stayed with Hedman, but obviously he played far less than Hedman. He could have stayed with Hedman but still had his deployment changed drastically. You do not go from > 60% OZ starts to under 50% without undergoing a large change in how they are using you.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'd be most interested in Heed out of all the names mentioned. Would be quite pleased if the price was a 4th. Not sure SJ entertains that though.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I'd be most interested in Heed out of all the names mentioned. Would be quite pleased if the price was a 4th. Not sure SJ entertains that though.

With the way they used him last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. The vast majority of intelligent Sharks fans wouldn't want to do that, but we don't make the trades. Once a player gets in DeBoer's doghouse, he doesn't seem to get out. I can only assume Heed was in the doghouse, because he seemed like he was definitely worth keeping in. Although, the other option of DeBoer having a special affinity for Dylan DeMelo is the other possible cause, and the much meme-ier one discussed on the SJS boards.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Basically I just want another RHD warm body or two that can play at the NHL level and stop Chiarelli from doing something stupid like going ‘yeah Bouchard can play the whole season’ and going back to his nap.

Understand wanting to keep guys that actually want to stay and get through the rough spots.
I think Bouchard will play this season and I think he's more than capable of it.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

That may indeed be part of it but it’s not quite the whole story. The thing with Dotchin is he’s not a great natural athlete by NHL standards, nor does he have outstanding skill in any particular area (he’s a surprisingly good passer when on his game but even in that regard he’s nothing to write home about.) That sort of player pretty much lives and dies by his hockey IQ and decision-making, and indeed in his rookie season Dotchin proved an effective partner for Hedman largely because he was able to keep things simple and limit his mistakes, which in turn allowed Hedman to roam freely and do what he does without being limited by having to cover for his partner.

I don’t think there was ever really much of a “shine” on Dotchin as far as Tampa fans were concerned. We all knew his limitations and nobody thought of him as a future star or anything of the sort - we simply hoped that he could continue playing that simple game, limiting his mistakes and basically just giving us sound defensive play while staying out of Hedman’s way. Unfortunately last season he regressed in a big way and started making decisions at Sustr’s level, and lacking the sort of physical ability that would allow him to recover from his mental gaffes or a special skillset that would at least mitigate his shortcomings he fell off hard.

To be fair while he did at least get the consistent playing time that has still been denied to Koekkoek, we haven’t exactly done Dotchin many favors with his development either. He was never a top pairing defenseman aside from having good chemistry with Hedman for a while and throwing him in the deep end right away was simply asking too much of him. Realistically Dotchin should be playing on the bottom pairing with a reliable veteran as his partner, and with time perhaps he could develop into a solid bottom pairing defenseman or even (though unlikely) a low end 4D if he can improve his mental game to the point where he can compensate for his physical shortcomings through good anticipation and positioning. Unfortunately last season we lacked a reliable partner for him on the bottom pairing as Coburn was also playing like hot garbage, and this season with Sergachev having moved to the right we don’t even have a spot for him in the lineup (nor are we in a position to focus on player development anyway as we’re trying to win now.)

So basically it’s not so much that Dotchin was exposed when given more challenging minutes as it’s that he was playing over his head to begin with and when he came back down to earth he crashed hard because of the role he was being asked to play - a role that he was never suited for in the first place and was only in because we didn’t have a better option (Stralman was needed to carry the second pairing and Sustr had been a disaster with Hedman.) He could still be a good pickup for a team in need of cheap RHD depth (and as that will describe the Lightning after next season we may well hang onto him for that exact purpose); just don’t expect him to be more than he is.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad