Value of: Heed, LaDue, Folin, Nelson, Welinski, Santini, Dotchin, C.Wideman or Schmaltz to Edmonton

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Curious as to the trade value and availability of a few different inexpensive defencemen...

Tim Heed (SJS)
Andy Welinski (ANA)
Christian Folin (PHI)
Casey Nelson (BUF)
Paul LaDue (LAK)
Steve Santini (NJD)
Jake Dotchin (TBL)
Chris Wideman (OTT)
Jordan Schmaltz (STL)

Any of these guys available for a pick and a B prospect?

Last edited:

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
IMHO Wideman is as close to valueless as it comes - if the Sens could get a pick and a prospect for him they'd be doing well.

But I would be worried about that leaving a (further) stain on Ottawa management. Wideman could have walked as a UFA this summer, but was signed for one year shortly before free agency opened up. I imagine he did that because he decided he wanted to be here, because if he wanted to be elsewhere he could have waited a week and gone elsewhere. To sign a pending UFA then trade him in the same summer is probably not a move a GM makes unless it is the player's preference or some mitigating circumstance makes it explainable why they moved on from their virtually-UFA signing before the preseason.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
IMHO Wideman is as close to valueless as it comes - if the Sens could get a pick and a prospect for him they'd be doing well.

But I would be worried about that leaving a (further) stain on Ottawa management. Wideman could have walked as a UFA this summer, but was signed for one year shortly before free agency opened up. I imagine he did that because he decided he wanted to be here, because if he wanted to be elsewhere he could have waited a week and gone elsewhere. To sign a pending UFA then trade him in the same summer is probably not a move a GM makes unless it is the player's preference or some mitigating circumstance makes it explainable why they moved on from their virtually-UFA signing before the preseason.

Basically I just want another RHD warm body or two that can play at the NHL level and stop Chiarelli from doing something stupid like going ‘yeah Bouchard can play the whole season’ and going back to his nap.

Understand wanting to keep guys that actually want to stay and get through the rough spots.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would definitely entertain other options as well, doesn’t have to be just these guys.

The key is acquisition price. Like a 2nd rounder max for whoever you’re offering.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
lot a crap on that list that would have trouble topping the guys the oilers have in their system

Ethen Bear at 21 stepped up at the end of last year and he will get a long look this fall

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
lot a crap on that list that would have trouble topping the guys the oilers have in their system

Ethen Bear at 21 stepped up at the end of last year and he will get a long look this fall

Lot of guys on that list that would stop us from having to gift bear or Bouchard a spot out of camp. They both have a good bit of work to do defensively.

Reactions: MC2D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad