Prospect Info: Heat sign Kulak to ATO

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Good for Kulak. He has potential. Wishing him the best in Abbotsford!

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
THN said that Kulak could become a top 4 defenseman, even has potential for a top pairing defenseman.

I think that is a bit much, I have seen him 3-4 times this year I would say he projects to being a Sarich type of player, can handle top 4 minutes but is probably better suited on the 3rd pairing. Still a good pick for a 4th rounder.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think that is a bit much, I have seen him 3-4 times this year I would say he projects to being a Sarich type of player, can handle top 4 minutes but is probably better suited on the 3rd pairing. Still a good pick for a 4th rounder.

I remember saying that when we drafted him. A physical #5 dman would be a great value for a 4th round pick.

Another guy to keep our eyes on for sure. :handclap:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I noticed that when I was checking up on stats from the past two draft classes that he was listed as being part of Abbotsford earlier today. I'm interested to seeing how he does.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
There is no way Brett Kulak projects to be a Cory Sarich type player. He is not very physical at all and has much better mobility.

He actually reminds me a bit of Brodie to be honest.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
There is no way Brett Kulak projects to be a Cory Sarich type player. He is not very physical at all and has much, much better mobility.

Never said he was that physical, I was saying he projects to a #4/#5 tweener defenseman. I don't see the brodie comparison, Brodie was much better at puck distribution. I think Kulak could be an in between Brodie and Tanev, more offensive than Tanev but not as offensive as Brodie and about the same defensive skill.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
There is no way Brett Kulak projects to be a Cory Sarich type player. He is not very physical at all and has much better mobility.

Precisely what I was thinking lol, was about to jump in and see wth everyone was talking about with Sarich comparisons, but you beat me to the punch. Getting sick of trying to get into the conversation in threads just to find out you beat me and put basically exactly what I was thinking first lol :P

Pretty pumped to see what he's got, we got some big praise for scooping him up where we did if I recall correctly

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I noticed that when I was checking up on stats from the past two draft classes that he was listed as being part of Abbotsford earlier today. I'm interested to seeing how he does.

I wouldn't expect a whole lot. He'll probably get limited minutes and see sheltered competition. It will be a good tryout though to see if can compete for a full time spot next season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Never said he was that physical, I was saying he projects to a #4/#5 tweener defenseman. I don't see the brodie comparison, Brodie was much better at puck distribution. I think Kulak could be an in between Brodie and Tanev, more offensive than Tanev but not as offensive as Brodie and about the same defensive skill.
You did say "Sarich type player", in most cases when it's used in that sense people are comparing the style of game, so I understand the confusion others had as I was about to say the same as them.

I am really looking froward to seeing him play.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Precisely what I was thinking lol, was about to jump in and see wth everyone was talking about with Sarich comparisons, but you beat me to the punch. Getting sick of trying to get into the conversation in threads just to find out you beat me and put basically exactly what I was thinking first lol :P

Pretty pumped to see what he's got, we got some big praise for scooping him up where we did if I recall correctly

:laugh: That's great!
I will let you get the next few. ;)

Ah gotcha. Well both Brodie and Kulak are both great skating defenders with untapped offensive potential. They also have very similar body types and have/had the same obstacles to overcome. I agree with you that Brodie has better vision, but I think Kulak is more assertive/agressive in the offensive zone.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
You did say "Sarich type player", in most cases when it's used in that sense people are comparing the style of game, so I understand the confusion others had as I was about to say the same as them.

I am really looking froward to seeing him play.

Your right it was poor wording on my part, he is more physical than Brodie but less offensive.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Your right it was poor wording on my part, he is more physical than Brodie but less offensive.
I agree. It's good to get a look at him at the pro level while he still has a year of WHL eligibility left. Should only help him moving forward, hopefully he gets traded to a WHL team that is half decent though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I agree. It's good to get a look at him at the pro level while he still has a year of WHL eligibility left. Should only help him moving forward, hopefully he gets traded to a WHL team that is half decent though.

He really grow with the leadership role (another reason I mentioned Sarich) he seemed to enjoy being a leader.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Hey guys. I saw Kulak signed an ATO so I thought I'd come post about him. I've watched him a lot this year, and his game has really jumped a tremendous amount. At the start of the year, he was an absolute liability on the ice with Musil having to essentially play both positions. As the year's gone on, he's really started to round out his game and read the play much better. He's a long term project imo, as even after Musil left, he wasn't able to establish himself as the Giants top dman, but he definitely took on a bigger role and ran with it. He's got a cannon of a shot, and it's actually quite accurate. He's also a tremendous skater, that always seems to be able to get himself into the right position to create a chance and is getting better at recognizing when to jump up into the rush and when to stay back (which was always my biggest critic of him).

And for those mentioning his physicality, it's absolutely non existent.

Huge fan of that draft year. Hopefully this guy can be a solid top 4 dman for us.

I highly doubt he has top 4 upside. I see him more as a bottom pairing guy who can chip in offensively

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad