Hearthstone #7 - Knights of the Frozen Throne

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, to deal with the current meta, I've found Hunter is beastly (no pun intended).

They can rush down Druid (if you don't play too much into Spreading Plague), they can tech in Hungry Crab against Paladin without it being out of place, and they can often outrace Quest Mage (or tech Flare if you have trouble).

Only issue I've run into is Taunt Druid. That deck is a pain in the ass to play against.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, despite facing Druid every other game in the upper ranks, I've made it to Legend this month.

Still not a fun experience.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Congrats. How many times have you gotten to legend?

Not often. This might be my 4th or 5th time? Usually don't have the time or effort to do the grind, but it's been a slow month at work.

Usually I hover between 10-5 to enjoy meme decks, but I had a ridiculous win streak with Hunter last night and figured I'd make the push.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Druid is so insane. I played this crazy value Priest deck, spawning and reviving end-game cards like Lich King, Ysera, Y'shaarj and Obsidian Statue as early as turn 3. Tremendous tempo, extremely strong against a lot of decks.

But even this crazy tempo deck (and even when drawn lucky) stands no chance against Druid. Just had a game last night, my board was something silly like 5/5 Y'shaarj into 10/10 Y'shaarj into Lich King into two Statues. He just killed me two turns later. Removed my entire board (okay, just the taunts but that's still 26 health points) and destroyed my face. *****.

Blizz response on reddit re Druid: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/6uxh0d/new_record_druid_surpasses_in_popularity_the/

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm only at rank 14 or 15 right now because I've spent considerably amount of my time playing mill rogue (also I was on travel for two weeks, so my only way to play was mobile). I'm excited that there's a mill rogue archetype that can function, but I basically lose every game that isn't against Priest.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'm only at rank 14 or 15 right now because I've spent considerably amount of my time playing mill rogue (also I was on travel for two weeks, so my only way to play was mobile). I'm excited that there's a mill rogue archetype that can function, but I basically lose every game that isn't against Priest.

Should instantly win against quest Mage.

Also I had 3 people play Nozdormu against me yesterday which seems excessive.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO

actually mill rogue is weaker than it was last expansion because priest (which was previously almost a guaranteed win) can get the mimics of stronger cards and then rez them over and over and over again

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
actually mill rogue is weaker than it was last expansion because priest (which was previously almost a guaranteed win) can get the mimics of stronger cards and then rez them over and over and over again

Big Priest is an instant win for Mill Rogue. With Double Vanish, Double Sap and Double Vilespine, the Priest simply runs out of threats. They usually only run Barnes and 2 or 3 big minions.

Let them play Y'Sharraj, get their threats on the board and Vanish them. They can only play 1 card a turn after that, allowing you all the time in the world to mill them.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Big Priest is an instant win for Mill Rogue. With Double Vanish, Double Sap and Double Vilespine, the Priest simply runs out of threats. They usually only run Barnes and 2 or 3 big minions.

Let them play Y'Sharraj, get their threats on the board and Vanish them. They can only play 1 card a turn after that, allowing you all the time in the world to mill them.

it's not as cut and dry as you'd think because priest's 2- and 4-mana revives are so cheap that they can play other cards in addition to the rez, while minions like Ysera and Lich King also refill their hands. The result is that rogue no longer has the upper hand for card efficiency (which is how they win) and has to expend removal on targets that priest got for free.

Also, mill relies on three cards above all else: coldlight, gang up, and vanish. If you aren't drawing one of those three in the first half of your deck (which you'll usually do by turn 10 when the big boys start coming out), you're not going to win.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You're talking about Wild. I have no clue how well it fares in Wild, but Mill Rogue in Standard is surprisingly solid. And like I said, against Big Priest, it's a fairly simple path to victory.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm talking about the new standard mill rogue. Gang up rotated out, so now it's using the dagger that gives immunity the turn its played, to protect the rogue from fatigue damage. You also use Death Knight Valeera to gang bonus copies of coldlight.

Should instantly win against quest Mage.
Meh. If you mill a combo piece you win. If you don't mill a combo piece, you draw them the cards they need to beat you faster.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Kazakus Priest is beastly again. Streaked to rank 5 from 14 with like two losses total.

This was my list:
hZBNY36.png

Any recommendations for Harrison, Black Knight, and Medivh replacements?

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There's no replacing the value you can get off of Medivh, but either Ooze is typically the replacement for Harrison, and Spellbreaker is a more flexible Black Knight (though it doesn't kill the Taunt, simply gets rid of it).

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The Lich King wing is open today. Defeat him once and get a pack. Defeat him with each class and get a new Paladin skin. Each class has their own set of rules to play by.

Mage: Sets your health to 1 at the beginning of the game.
Paladin: When your minions are destroyed, resummon them on his side.
Druid: Destroys all minions costing 3 or less from your hand/deck at the beginning of the game.
Rogue: Destroys all spells from your hand/deck at the beginning of the game.
Warrior: 100 armor at the beginning of the game.
Shaman: All minions in your hand/deck become 1/1s
Hunter: At the beginning of the game, take 2 damage for each creature in your deck.
Warlock: At the beginning of the game, take 2(3?) damage for each duplicate in your deck.
Priest: Can't use emotes.

Some, obviously, are easier than others. Right now, I'm left with Warrior, Hunter and Paladin. Haven't tried Warrior, but the other two are quite difficult.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Can't wait, since I heard they were going to be difficult. lol @ Priest. Guess I'll start with that one.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Lich King wing is open today. Defeat him once and get a pack. Defeat him with each class and get a new Paladin skin. Each class has their own set of rules to play by.

Mage: Sets your health to 1 at the beginning of the game.
Paladin: When your minions are destroyed, resummon them on his side.
Druid: Destroys all minions costing 3 or less from your hand/deck at the beginning of the game.
Rogue: Destroys all spells from your hand/deck at the beginning of the game.
Warrior: 100 armor at the beginning of the game.
Shaman: All minions in your hand/deck become 1/1s
Hunter: At the beginning of the game, take 2 damage for each creature in your deck.
Warlock: At the beginning of the game, take 2(3?) damage for each duplicate in your deck.
Priest: Can't use emotes.

Some, obviously, are easier than others. Right now, I'm left with Warrior, Hunter and Paladin. Haven't tried Warrior, but the other two are quite difficult.

Minion Rogue seems like it would be hilarious.

Shaman with 1/1s feels like it almost wouldn't be an issue with how that class can play.

I want to build a self-OTK hunter deck now. :laugh:

Priest is just way too hard. :rant:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Well, I beat the Priest one after a beautiful combo of Lyra + Raza. Lyra is such a fun card.

I'm working on the Mage one right now. I actually want to avoid all tips for everything at the moment. Makes it more fun.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Finally got all of them after working on it since its release. Hunter was the last one I got and easily the hardest.

[Spoil]The best tip I found was to use the Lich King's "downside" to your advantage. Fill your deck with creatures, including 2 Molten Giants. Mulligan hard for both Giants, his ruleset will allow you to play them both by turn 2. Then you pray he doesn't have Obliterate so you can kill him before Turn 7.[/spoil]

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
For how much effort it took to unlock him, Arthas has some disappointing voice lines.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Warlock was easy. Just build a renolock.

Granted, I also hit golden warlock yesterday, so I may play more warlock than you do.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The biggest issue I ran into with Warlock was getting the cards in the right order. I needed Doomsayer on 7 to kill off his Frostmourne turn, Reno at some point in the game, and needed to have enough health post-Frostmourne to build up a board quick enough to kill him before his Hero Power killed me.

Between his Blizzards and Taunts (and the fact that much of the Warlock's AoE is self-damaging), the latter part was often what I struggled with. Especially knowing that if you leave one thing up and go face to push damage, that will be the turn he draws that stupid horse and wrecks you.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I took advantage of wild cards to have plenty of heal in my deck (Healbot, Vendor) on top of Reno and the standard warlock heals (Mistress, Siphon, Earthen Ring, Bloodreaver Guldan). I didn't even need to end up

I used a Shadowflame to clear his Frostmourne (although I could have also used spell power + Felfire). And then I killed him a couple turns later with my demon res off of playing Bloodreaver Guldan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad