Hearthstone #7 - Knights of the Frozen Throne

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm halfway decent arena player. For the past 6 months or so I average really good. Not going to pump my own tires here so I'll leave it at this. I've played almost exclusively Arena for more than 2 years now. Every mont I play Wild enough to keep me in the good rankings but nothing more. For me it's Arena Arena Arena. I've been around for expansions and new cards for a long time. Now it seems like this new card expansion is really making strides. I've played only 4 Arena runs so far so this is subject to change due to small sample size, but my biggest strength seems to have lost it's power. I'm good at drafting decks and I just can't seem to be able to draft a competitive Arena deck.

Of course this will ease out, but usually I've been able to "feast" with the weaklings after every new card expansion. Now it seems like I'm no longer able.

I'm also primarily an arena player. I played one last night as my first of the expansion, and ended up with a 64-point (Heartharena) Priest deck (horrible, horrible deck). Not a great first impression of the new arena for me, though I escaped with two hard-fought wins.

And while I do use Heartharena, I'm at the point where I barely need it for the draft, I just really like the deck tracker.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Kazakus Priest is beastly again. Streaked to rank 5 from 14 with like two losses total.

This was my list:
hZBNY36.png

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So many damn Legendary cards I dont have in that deck lol

I'm missing all of these lol;

Bloodmage Thainos
Shadow Visions
Curious Glimmerroot
Kabal Courier
Arfus
Kazakus
Shadow Word: Horror
Raza the Chained
Cabal Shadow Preist
Dragonfire Potion
The Black Knight
Medivh, the Guardian

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If you have the Warlock DK and Lich King this is a solid control deck. No other epics or legendaries after those two.
http://www.hearthhead.com/decks/j4ckiechans-frozen-throne-control-warlock

Warlock's DK ability seems extremely good if you're not about to die.

Also I've gotten wrecked by Defile multiple times. I really thought the card was overrated, but I was clearly wrong.
I have that deck built. I tried it once and lost. My rag tag random Warlock deck was working better. I'll give it another shot tho lol

Mage is my favourite class, but I haven't seen any decks I really like yet.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I love this expansion, but I can't play it. Every second game crashes on me, because every game is now 30 minutes and the DK/Lich King animations wreaks havoc on my iPad. Or really, any over the top animation or action. Nzoth and Hadronox also crash.

Hope they come out with an update soon

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
C'thun Druid even better than it was during Whispers.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I'm loving this expansion so far, definitely made me enjoy the game again.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So how long before Exodia Mage becomes as cancerous as Quest Rogue? Same level of interactivity from the opponent's point of view, but unlike Quest Rogue, Exodia Mage is a guaranteed kill once they have the pieces. It's crazy how fast it is now that they added Simulacrum. Biggest issue was always getting enough Apprentices, but with Molten Reflection and Simulacrum, it's a breeze to get the combo off.

I love it. I especially love the mirror matches, because so many people don't understand how to play the mirror. Pro-tip: In the mirror, pop the Block first, then play Time Warp. If you go the opposite direction, there's a good chance your opponent will simply do it the correct way and kill you.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
So how long before Exodia Mage becomes as cancerous as Quest Rogue? Same level of interactivity from the opponent's point of view, but unlike Quest Rogue, Exodia Mage is a guaranteed kill once they have the pieces. It's crazy how fast it is now that they added Simulacrum. Biggest issue was always getting enough Apprentices, but with Molten Reflection and Simulacrum, it's a breeze to get the combo off.

I love it. I especially love the mirror matches, because so many people don't understand how to play the mirror. Pro-tip: In the mirror, pop the Block first, then play Time Warp. If you go the opposite direction, there's a good chance your opponent will simply do it the correct way and kill you.

If exodia mage becomes a thing people will just start running secret eater. It will never become as broing to play vs as quest Rogue were you just sat and watched if the opponent made it or not.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If exodia mage becomes a thing people will just start running secret eater. It will never become as broing to play vs as quest Rogue were you just sat and watched if the opponent made it or not.

Easter of Secrets is pretty worthless unless you're playing chargers or burn spells. That Mage Deck has nothing but board freezes and draw.

The best way to kill them is to play extremely fast aggro decks. My only hope is the meta quickens and aggro chases out Jade Druid and Quest Mage, so more traditional control decks can avoid being hard countered by this garbage.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm not even sure an Aggro meta can stop Druid now. They ramp so quickly and get so much value out of their cards, it's difficult to get ahead of them.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Exodia paladin might be better than mage? I dunno. Harder to zerg down, at least.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't see how Exodia Paladin even works. Unless I'm mistaken, it requires you to get at least 1 coin from your Burglary Bullies, so if you simply don't allow that, their OTK doesn't happen. And then it's simply a matter of ensuring they don't get all 4 Horseman on the board.

Exodia combos that require help from your opponent doesn't seem very effective to me.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I don't see how Exodia Paladin even works. Unless I'm mistaken, it requires you to get at least 1 coin from your Burglary Bullies, so if you simply don't allow that, their OTK doesn't happen. And then it's simply a matter of ensuring they don't get all 4 Horseman on the board.

Exodia combos that require help from your opponent doesn't seem very effective to me.

wild + emperor + secrets

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'm 30-ish wins away from golden Mage so I'm focussing on Mage right now. Elemental Mage is super fun. Especially with the Hero card up and at low health: You just drop Geddon and heal for a million health and watch them concede. Essentially I'm playing this list but replaced Pyros with Geddon.

I don't have the Mage Quest so OTK is out of question for now. Secret Mage has been fun before the release of KFT but since the new version plays one new card at most I'm not interested in it.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The issue I run into with Elemental Mage is that once you're at 30 health, you become incredibly weaker. It's great at recovering from a poor spot, but it can't do much to take advantage. Eventually, you run into a spot where your free 3/6 every turn isn't enough.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So... thoughts on Druidstone? Does anything need to change (I think the answer is obviously yes), and if so, what?

Innervate to the HoF is gaining steam. UI is bonkers, but not necessarily a given to nerf. Spreading Plague has a lot of people upset.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's hard to pinpoint the issue. At least when it was Shamanstone, it was somewhat understandable. Shaman was trash, Blizzard overreacted by giving them too good of cards, so suddenly they're oppressive.

But Druid had a Tier 1 deck in Ungoro (Token Druid) and a Tier 2 deck (Jade Druid), and suddenly Blizzard decided they needed more survivability and a way to refill their hand after running out of steam.

The unfortunate side effect of Druidstone is that its best counter is Mid-range Paladin, a super aggressive deck that also punishes any kind of slower deck.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
It's hard to pinpoint the issue. At least when it was Shamanstone, it was somewhat understandable. Shaman was trash, Blizzard overreacted by giving them too good of cards, so suddenly they're oppressive.

But Druid had a Tier 1 deck in Ungoro (Token Druid) and a Tier 2 deck (Jade Druid), and suddenly Blizzard decided they needed more survivability and a way to refill their hand after running out of steam.

The unfortunate side effect of Druidstone is that its best counter is Mid-range Paladin, a super aggressive deck that also punishes any kind of slower deck.

Yeah, Shaman was clearly the broken one-drop along with 1-mana Spirit Claws. Those were very clearly the main issue in that case, with things like Totem Golem and 4x7/7 to snowball the already insane opening. Druid doesn't have an opening like that, but the combination of UI and unlimited Jades means you're going to win the late game almost guaranteed. I think losing Innervate is probably a good thing at this point.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The problem is that Innvervate is a basic/core card for Druid. If you HoF it, what card is going to replace it when new players are just starting out?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The problem is that Innvervate is a basic/core card for Druid. If you HoF it, what card is going to replace it when new players are just starting out?

Yeah, I've thought about that too. It's been part of Druid's identity from the start. Tough call for the team on how to handle that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->