Hearthstone #7 - Knights of the Frozen Throne

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
I am more interested in the rotation than the expansion. I think we might see some more interesting decks. I know that warlock loses very little but at least the grindy Nzoth warlock will disappear.

New decks that might come is the re-emergence of secret paladin and tempo warrior.

Mage will have to find a whole new playstyle and shaman got maybe some identity cards that will redefine the class as well (probably not good, shaman spells are shit-tier).

Mid -range hunter will probably be played and is probably stronger . Secret hunter is probably still good without Barnes and with to my side.
Rogue is having some burgle cards but it is not a strong deck. Miracle is still strong.

Druid .. well no more jade druids yay! No more good big dudes though.. It will have to find some identity somewhere.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It looks like a supremely ****ty version of Barnes. Which I guess is better for the game, considering what Barnes could do.
It could work in Warlock though with Sense Demons (2 or 3 mana spell: draw 2 demons).

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The entire expansion seems weaker than previous ones. Maybe it's intentional, simply to try and lower the power level of the meta.

Considering they're giving away a free class legendary with the 3 packs on the 12th, I imagine they're just making ****ty class legendaries simply so they're not giving away anything good.
I think it's intentional because the first expansion of the year is always around the longest, so keeping the power level lower is probably a good thing.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
JEXNf0sz7MkGQHmR8Yt_NAnqF-SXbzhOk_QIL1NxtJk.jpg

First day craft.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Day9 and Ben Brode had me rolling on the floor yesterday. Also that shaman legendary is god tier :) Shudderwock!
Yeah man that card has a lot of potential. Probably the card I'm most excited for. I just wonder if Shaman has enough tools to survive past turn 9+ until it's playable. Lots of potential synergies like Chaingang (as seen on the reveal stream), Doppelgangster, Zola, Grumble, Primordial Drake, Oozes (if weapons remain a thing) or just all the Elemental battlecries. And isn't Thrall-DK a battlecry too?

It'll be almost broken in Wild though. Think Jade decks. Or C'Thun. Or Yogg. Wowza.

And that's just after thinking about this card for like 5 minutes. Just imagine the crazy decks in a couple of weeks or months.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I can't wait until Thursday. Theorycrafting decks until then. I thought odd-cost Hunter might be pretty good, but seeing it all put together, I'm not so sure anymore.

Don't get me wrong, a 3-damage Hero Power is strong, and the tools to aid it are odd-cost, but it still seems like such a tempo kill to simply Hero Power on 2, and Hero Power/two 1-drops on 4.

We'll have to see it in practice, I suppose.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
I like even hunter more then. Sneak those hero powers in and drop secrets to keep you standing. No KC, animal companion, bow ect sucks.
Rexxar,kathrena, dire frenzy, hunting masstif, wingblast, houndmaster shaw, highmanes and razormaw make it though.

Actually I think that just standard mid-range hunter will be okay. Rexxar has now been updated with the new beasts! So lifesteal is readily available .

Last edited:

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Looking forward to opening 104 packs in a few hours. Pre-order + 3000 gold. And then around 2000 dust. Will wait with crafting legionaries until meta changes. I will hopefully pull some of the fun ones. My sleeper great deck is spiteful druid with elementals.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
4 legendaries in 94 packs, and 1 free class legendary.

Archmage Arugal
Face Collector
Tess Greymane
Hagatha
Dollmaster Dorian

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Since I managed to pull Tess, I decided to bring back my old Burgle Rogue in Wild.

It still gets demolished by any aggressive deck (especially the f***ing Burn Mage, which might be the most unfun deck to play against), but if it's against a Control or Mid-range deck, you can easily outvalue them.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
None of my old decks work for standard right now, so I'll have to spend some time and craft a new one. Unfortunately I don't have as many cards as other people since I refuse to purchase packs, but we'll see how it goes. Looks like Inner Fire/Divine spirit might be the ticket for me.

I play priest exclusively and was playing dragons for a while.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Early impression of the new Standard:

Baku Hunter will kill you quickly if you're not prepared. But if you draw any taunts/healing, you're set.

Tempo Rogue is back and as nasty as ever.

Shudderwock Shaman is slow and controlling, but will absolutely kill you if you allow them to drop Shudderwock, especially on an empty board.

Cubelock still exists.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I got Emeriss as my freebie and Countess Ashmore from one of the 3 free packs. Countess seems like she might have some use but Emeriss seems way slow.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Got Lady in White as my free Legendary and pulled the following with 130 packs...

Splintergraft
Golden Houndmaster Shaw
Prince Liam
Chameleos
Tess Greymane
Darius Crowley
Genn Greymane
Azalina Soulthief
Baku the Mooneater

Crafted:
Shudderwock

have 9k dust remaining along with a bunch of golden cards that I need to disenchant.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Crafting Shudderwock is a safe bet, because it's getting nerfed soon. When you can skip your opponent's turn by simply running out endless Battlecries, Blizzard tends to answer that rather quickly

Hopefully.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
My free legendary was Tess Greymane.

153 packs total

Common : 536
Rare : 163
Epic : 35
Legendary : 6

Golden Common : 10
Golden Rare : 12
Golden Epic : 1
Golden Legendary : 2

My 8 legendaries were, in order :

Countess Ashmore (9)
Splintergraft (39)
The Glass Knight (67)
Golden Dollmaster Dorian (73)
Hagatha the Witch (105)
Archmage Arugal (109)
Prince Liam (129)
Golden Genn Greymane (149)

Two golden legendaries in 153 packs is quite nice!

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, I think you got less legendaries than you should have, but having 2 of the ones you did receive being golden makes up for it.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Yeah, I think you got less legendaries than you should have, but having 2 of the ones you did receive being golden makes up for it.

Ever since I got 3 legendaries in 121 packs in the Ungoro opening nothing can disappoint me

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
IIRC, you're guaranteed a Legendary in your first 10, then the average count after that is about 20 packs per legendary.

So actually, you were hitting the average, for this expansion at least.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
BTW if you want to climb the ladder easily, it's time to cheese with aggro decks. For the next 2-3 days people will try out their new cards and deck archetypes and it's usually much slower than normal so it's easy to kill most of them fast.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Haven't lost a single game since yesterday with Pally dudes in wild. Got straight from 13 to 8.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Everyone I'm playing on the ladder seems to be running Baku and I keep crushing them with inner fire priest.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yea I've been having some success with Lady in White as well. I occasionally get rolled by aggro if I don't draw a Steambot or Duskbreaker by 4, but otherwise there seems to be some potential there. Chameleos is really strong against everything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad