Calgary
arnold-schwarzenegger-bodybuilding-wallpaper-bodybuilding-2135423053.jpg

Here it is, post any of the following related topics:

• Training Routines
  • Fitness Goals
  • Fitness Results
  • Training Questions
  • Nutrition Questions

Let me know if you want to see anything added or if I missed something. Guys, if someone has a goal they want to reach, then let's all do our best to really encourage them. That's what I want the end result of this to be, for us to help motivate each other if we have specific goals in mind.

Depending on the response to this, I may sticky later on if it really catches on.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
First and foremost for FFF: Endurance. After that I will work on muscle. Or, I can just do a little bit of everything :).

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Goal for the next 3 months:

Lose 10 Pounds, Regain glorious six-pack. Focus on Bicep and Tricep growth.

What are good forearm exercises guys?

giphy.gif

But if seriously asking - dumbbell / barbell wrist curls.

My goals for the remainder of August:

1. Lose 10 lbs
2. Walk 10,000 steps/day
3. Stay within my calorie & nutrient targets 6 days/week. (and on day 7, cheat with better food choices)
4. Conduct a 2 mile run without stopping.

Edit: I posted this earlier, in jest, but other than the speedo I might try doing this daily as well: Manly Exercises

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I would love to put on some kind of muscle-weight at some point to cover my rib-bones, but I never seem to manage to develop any lasting habit. That aside, my health is, in general, good. I'm always conscious of keeping a balanced diet, and I'm always playing a sport (as hard as I can). I've also got a metabolism that is only just starting to show signs of slowing down.

fallsviewafro*

Goal for the next 3 months:

Lose 10 Pounds, Regain glorious six-pack. Focus on Bicep and Tricep growth.

What are good forearm exercises guys?

For real though, for forearms, work on a stronger grip:

Double-overhand barbell static holds - 2 sets of 20-30sec, then take ~25-50% off the bar (whichever is convenient with the plates you are using) and grip it until you see Jesus and your forearms fall off. Once you can do 2x30s, add 5lbs, continue. e.g. I will do 185x30s,30s, then 135 until I cry. Since I got 185x30,30, next week I'll do 190x20,20, then 190x25,25, etc.

Plate pinches - using your fingertips (not finger-pads, shape your hands like a "C"), take two plates, face the printed sides towards eachother, and pinch the smooth side of the plates together. Same thing, 2 sets of 20-30sec, once you can do 2x30s, add weight. After those two sets, drop down to something lighter, and squeeze it until you see Jesus again as you did withe the barbell holds.

Do the above 2-3x/week. Wrist curls are a nice way to do something a little lighter to keep the blood pumping and all the tissues happy, but doing grip work as the main basis will give you juicy forearms and a stronger grip to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:

fallsviewafro*

Also, running SUCKS ASS and DO NOT EVER get elbow tendinitis/tendinosis. I've had my fair share of athletic injuries but good Lord is elbow tendinitis ever a pain in the ass. I haven't lifted anything in about 4 months now and its just started to subside after (very expensive) physio/chiro/massage 3x/week.

Got a 10km race coming up in 10 days, aiming for 50:00 finish.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Cool idea. I've been going to the gym on and off this year but I'm really trying to stick strictly to the Ice Cream Fitness routine until Christmas. I'm also going to continue running 3-4 times a week until winter and then take up swimming to give my knees a break.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Also, running SUCKS ASS and DO NOT EVER get elbow tendinitis/tendinosis. I've had my fair share of athletic injuries but good Lord is elbow tendinitis ever a pain in the ass. I haven't lifted anything in about 4 months now and its just started to subside after (very expensive) physio/chiro/massage 3x/week.

Got a 10km race coming up in 10 days, aiming for 50:00 finish.

That's awesome, I can do 5k in 25 minutes but I'd need to train really hard to do double the distance at the same pace!

fallsviewafro*

That's awesome, I can do 5k in 25 minutes but I'd need to train really hard to do double the distance at the same pace!

I can do a 25:00 5km if I go like crazy, and the fastest 10km I've managed to hit in training was 55:00 on the dot. Realistically 50:00 won't happen, I'd be happy with ~53:00, but I'd rather fall short then pat myself on the back for doing something easily.

fallsviewafro*

I have also spent the last decade as a swim instructor and help run a private swim school on the side now, so if anyone needs tips, have at it!

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I would love to put on some kind of muscle-weight at some point to cover my rib-bones, but I never seem to manage to develop any lasting habit. That aside, my health is, in general, good. I'm always conscious of keeping a balanced diet, and I'm always playing a sport (as hard as I can). I've also got a metabolism that is only just starting to show signs of slowing down.

Hate to say it, but you will just have to eat more.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
giphy.gif

But if seriously asking - dumbbell / barbell wrist curls.

My goals for the remainder of August:

1. Lose 10 lbs
2. Walk 10,000 steps/day
3. Stay within my calorie & nutrient targets 6 days/week. (and on day 7, cheat with better food choices)
4. Conduct a 2 mile run without stopping.

Edit: I posted this earlier, in jest, but other than the speedo I might try doing this daily as well: Manly Exercises

For real though, for forearms, work on a stronger grip:

Double-overhand barbell static holds - 2 sets of 20-30sec, then take ~25-50% off the bar (whichever is convenient with the plates you are using) and grip it until you see Jesus and your forearms fall off. Once you can do 2x30s, add 5lbs, continue. e.g. I will do 185x30s,30s, then 135 until I cry. Since I got 185x30,30, next week I'll do 190x20,20, then 190x25,25, etc.

Plate pinches - using your fingertips (not finger-pads, shape your hands like a "C"), take two plates, face the printed sides towards eachother, and pinch the smooth side of the plates together. Same thing, 2 sets of 20-30sec, once you can do 2x30s, add weight. After those two sets, drop down to something lighter, and squeeze it until you see Jesus again as you did withe the barbell holds.

Do the above 2-3x/week. Wrist curls are a nice way to do something a little lighter to keep the blood pumping and all the tissues happy, but doing grip work as the main basis will give you juicy forearms and a stronger grip to boot.

For the forearm I suggest doing a wrist roller exercise, where you bring it all the way up and all the way down for 3-4 sets.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/wrist-roller

Thanks for all the detailed advice guys, I will look into all of these.

No, seriously, I can eat whatever the hell I want and not put on weight. :laugh:

I was like that for years and years. It wasn't until the past year or so that my metabolism has pretty much completely tanked. I put on weight rather easily now, so I can finally build muscle mass. Double-edged sword for sure, having had to deal with both situations.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
My goals for the rest of August:

1. Continue progressing through SL 5x5
2. Don't go more than 3 days without a workout
3. Eat better, sleep better (seriously, the two go hand in hand)
4. Score a goal in ball hockey (lol)

Long-term goals:
1. Get rid of the spare tire around my gut
2. I guess I wouldn't mind losing 10-15 lbs but really the number on the scale doesn't bother me as much if I like how I look and feel.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Do you take any kind of supplements?

Nope. Let me just be clear and say that I don't workout either. In a perfect world where I had greater self-motivation abilities, I would be looking to put on muscle. Right now it's kind of on my daily to-do list somewhere around "learn to fix cars" and "learn how the stock market works."

fallsviewafro*

There is always a way to gain muscle-weight. :nodding:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->