OT: Healthy Living 3.0

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
But I do love avocado, olive oil, and fish. But avocadoes are a luxury to afford in East Asia (Just some information for the people who are like "But what about California rolls?") I love using olive oil to cook, and I love fish, but my family has issues with fish for unknown cultural reasons (Zero health related reasons, except for father) (And that's the irony as East Asians consume a lot of fish...). Yeah I'm the same birth year as the two Swedes I always propose in Elias Lindholm and Filip Forsberg lol. Older than both though, and much less successful. :cry::cry::cry:

Oh lastly about the food part, pork really isn't that good for you, I'm not just saying it because I don't like the taste or the fat, but pigs take forever to digest food and they role in mud because it's much harder for them to sweat, meaning a lot of the poison they consume (And pigs eat just about anything edible) is trapped in their systems. I'm more of a fan of seafood, chicken, and beef, but my family is too caught up in pseudoscience that they think pork is the healthiest meat out there just because beef is a luxury China and Taiwan, and Chinese chicken has a lot of hormones injected (Pigs do as well, so their decisions are baffling). Oh and for ethical reasons, pigs are very intelligent and emotional creatures, whereas cows no offense aren't very smart and only get emotional when they know they are about to die or in a lot of pain.

ok.

btw, pigs are actually clean animals by nature, see for example The truth about pigs

Reactions: Janks

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If you're bodybuilding, or trying to put on a lot of muscle grams proteins to lbs is the easiest math method. If you want to be a big muscle guy, there's a tonne of protein involved, getting to it is a pain without limitations.

I should probably change my user bio to "future big muscle guy"

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Instead of traditional bacon and eggs (3 bacon, 2 eggs hashbrowns, and 2 toast) we start with a 3 eggs omelette with 3 strips of bacon used, onions, mushrooms, dash of oregano with a good cheddar cheese and a couple slices of watermelon.

Lunch we have a beef vegetable soup heavy on the beef and vegetable with little broth (no potato or root vegetables but lots of cauliflower and broccoli) . I probably have a bowl and a half on a hungry day.

For supper a 1" pork chop with steamed broccoli and cauliflower with cheese and cream sauce. A tossed salad with a home made Italian dressing and feta.

For munchies throughout the day my wife has the Old Dutch Bacn'Puffs about a handful and pepperoni bites. I usually just have a slice of water melon and I am good. The key is to watch the carbs and sugars going into your body. (I still use sugar in my coffee so I try to have none other than with my coffee and have went to a raw sugar.) It is all about counting the carbs and sugars. Use olive oil, butter(not margarine), cream not milk, and almond oil to prepare food with. The natural fats in cream and the oils help process the energy for your body.

Our goal once we hit our targets is to have a cheat day for a nice supper with our favorites once a week.

Many people think the pastas, potatos, and breads are to difficult to quit but after 2 weeks you don't miss them. I have yet to leave the table hungry and I am losing lbs and feel better.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I do most of my chicken on top of my range.
Cast Iron pan, Chicken, Spices.... delicious.

I'm an above average cook; and I really enjoy cooking. I don't particularly like InstaPots (I know some people live by them); there's just not a lot of feel to cooking when using them.

As for Vegan/Vegetarian/Omnivore type diets; none to me is better than the other and depends solely on the person's personal preference and choices. A healthy meat-inclusive diet has the same health benefits as a fully Vegan diet. A Vegan diet can include pounding down Oreo's and baking sheet 'Vegan' Chicken fingers, which to me is absurd (I've known two females who've put on significant weight after going Vegan). Lazy food is lazy food.

My recommendation to everyone is to eat less meat, but to make sure that the meat you eat is of a better cut and prepared well. I.E, you don't need meat every meal of the day; but when you do eat it, make sure it's of a nice cut of pork, beef, chicken, lamb, etc. Quality meat goes a long way; it also made me appreciate and love food more than I already do. Instead of growing up and eating meat 2/3 meals a day, 1 of which was some overcooked cheap pork, or poorly made lamb, I normally have meat once a day, or every couple days. The meat is cooked perfectly and tasty.

Food's an experience, enjoy.

I agree 100% that a vegan diet on potato chips and oreos is terrible, but at the same time a whole foods vegan diet is truly one of the healthiest diets you can have, pretty much every doctor I've come across has said that. And let's be honest, even if we did need meat in our diets, we're still eating too much.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Instead of traditional bacon and eggs (3 bacon, 2 eggs hashbrowns, and 2 toast) we start with a 3 eggs omelette with 3 strips of bacon used, onions, mushrooms, dash of oregano with a good cheddar cheese and a couple slices of watermelon.

Lunch we have a beef vegetable soup heavy on the beef and vegetable with little broth (no potato or root vegetables but lots of cauliflower and broccoli) . I probably have a bowl and a half on a hungry day.

For supper a 1" pork chop with steamed broccoli and cauliflower with cheese and cream sauce. A tossed salad with a home made Italian dressing and feta.

For munchies throughout the day my wife has the Old Dutch Bacn'Puffs about a handful and pepperoni bites. I usually just have a slice of water melon and I am good. The key is to watch the carbs and sugars going into your body. (I still use sugar in my coffee so I try to have none other than with my coffee and have went to a raw sugar.) It is all about counting the carbs and sugars. Use olive oil, butter(not margarine), cream not milk, and almond oil to prepare food with. The natural fats in cream and the oils help process the energy for your body.

Our goal once we hit our targets is to have a cheat day for a nice supper with our favorites once a week.

Many people think the pastas, potatos, and breads are to difficult to quit but after 2 weeks you don't miss them. I have yet to leave the table hungry and I am losing lbs and feel better.

Eating a keto diet with a ton of fruits and vegetables is fine, it's just there are idiots who think they can do well on a carnivore diet (Um where are you getting your fiber and Vitamin C and E?). You can also do keto on a vegan diet.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Twice daily we drink a blackberry, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, and cranberry smoothie made with the berries 1/2 cream 1/2 unsweetened grape juice enough to cover the frozen berries. Almost all your vitamin spectrum aminos and so forth are covered between the shakes and heavy vegetable diet. Mix in Pacific salmon, almond oil for cooking and you are in good shape.

Cranberries are very important for kidney health in meat keto diets as it prevents ketosis.

The portions of meat should be 1 part meat to 2 parts vegetable (non-root or other high carb vegetables)

corn it's very high in carbs and most corn is not very good for you. There is a reason vets recommend pet food free of corn for your pets. It isn't very good for you either.

I am happy being an omnivore. It is great you are happy being vegan.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Twice daily we drink a blackberry, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, and cranberry smoothie made with the berries 1/2 cream 1/2 unsweetened grape juice enough to cover the frozen berries. Almost all your vitamin spectrum aminos and so forth are covered between the shakes and heavy vegetable diet. Mix in Pacific salmon, almond oil for cooking and you are in good shape.

Cranberries are very important for kidney health in meat keto diets as it prevents ketosis.

The portions of meat should be 1 part meat to 2 parts vegetable (non-root or other high carb vegetables)

corn it's very high in carbs and most corn is not very good for you. There is a reason vets recommend pet food free of corn for your pets. It isn't very good for you either.

I am happy being an omnivore. It is great you are happy being vegan.

My only thing is to recommend watching out on the smoothie diets. If you're in an elevated blood sugar range, this type of diet can do some damage.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I’m bored and saw this, so I thought I’d share some stuff. Healthy hasn’t been in my vocabulary since my first year of university. Eat like a pig all the time and have become a coffee addict, but my metabolism does its job and then some. Once it (probably) fails in my 40s like it did for my father, I’m dead lol

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Actually, it's funny this thread was bumped.
I'm doing intermittent fasting, coupled with counting macros (plus my regular gym work).

Healthiest 'diet' I've ever attempted in my life. I'm down 15 lbs already (about a month) with my first goal only about 4 kgs away. I've coupled that with an increased and improved gym regiment. I cannot actually put to words the benefits of this way of living to me; it fits my lifestyle super well, and I'm never hungry.

I can see my top abs again, my arms are bigger, my chest more defined. While dropping 15 lbs, I've actually increased my muscle mass over that time, and am in about the second best shape I've been in my adult life. My goal is to drop the 4kgs, then the next goal is to actually drop another 13 kgs after that. I think at that weight I'll be fairly shredded... I've had a bunch of knee problems, so I think the reduced weight and the increased muscle mass will go a long way.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I’m bored and saw this, so I thought I’d share some stuff. Healthy hasn’t been in my vocabulary since my first year of university. Eat like a pig all the time and have become a coffee addict, but my metabolism does its job and then some. Once it (probably) fails in my 40s like it did for my father, I’m dead lol

I'm 40 next year and that kinda happened to me. I think I've been saying in this thread for few years now that I need to find motivation somewhere. I was at the doctor last month, all the blood test results were great (genetics) which is kinda bad thing according the doctor because I dont take my weigth seriously enough.

Nothing wrong with coffee, if you drink it black instead of those drinks where there's like a drop of coffee and rest is cream, sugar etc.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Actually, it's funny this thread was bumped.
I'm doing intermittent fasting, coupled with counting macros (plus my regular gym work).

Healthiest 'diet' I've ever attempted in my life. I'm down 15 lbs already (about a month) with my first goal only about 4 kgs away. I've coupled that with an increased and improved gym regiment. I cannot actually put to words the benefits of this way of living to me; it fits my lifestyle super well, and I'm never hungry.

I can see my top abs again, my arms are bigger, my chest more defined. While dropping 15 lbs, I've actually increased my muscle mass over that time, and am in about the second best shape I've been in my adult life. My goal is to drop the 4kgs, then the next goal is to actually drop another 13 kgs after that. I think at that weight I'll be fairly shredded... I've had a bunch of knee problems, so I think the reduced weight and the increased muscle mass will go a long way.
I do IF as well, though admittedly no where near as efficiently as I could or should. Mostly just keep my eating within a 10-hour window. It's definitely the easiest program I've ever done though, and even though I haven't really seen a change in the number on the scale, I can feel things fitting better. Combined with playing hockey and hitting the gym pretty regularly, stuff is starting to happen and it feels good.

I've decided to give up alcohol for a while, as well as sweets and desserts in general, as much as is possible anyways. Kind of let myself get out of control with both for a few weeks and need to pull it back lol. Again, I don't really use a scale all that much but generally I would just like to see how it feels before getting too into the numbers.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I do IF as well, though admittedly no where near as efficiently as I could or should. Mostly just keep my eating within a 10-hour window. It's definitely the easiest program I've ever done though, and even though I haven't really seen a change in the number on the scale, I can feel things fitting better. Combined with playing hockey and hitting the gym pretty regularly, stuff is starting to happen and it feels good.

I've decided to give up alcohol for a while, as well as sweets and desserts in general, as much as is possible anyways. Kind of let myself get out of control with both for a few weeks and need to pull it back lol. Again, I don't really use a scale all that much but generally I would just like to see how it feels before getting too into the numbers.

I do a 10am through about 6:30.
I tried 11-7, and 10-6; but I felt because my macro requirements were not insignificant, that I was eating too much and just trying to hit my number rather than letting it happen naturally. Now by 6:30, I got my protein requirements, I got my fat requirements, I've created my calorie deficiency... it's all good.

I too have said no to the liquor. It's a bit easier for me. I have a fairly newborn son, so I can get away with not drinking socially. I don't get razzed or anything about it. It's tough when you're not drinking and folks around you are.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I do a 10am through about 6:30.
I tried 11-7, and 10-6; but I felt because my macro requirements were not insignificant, that I was eating too much and just trying to hit my number rather than letting it happen naturally. Now by 6:30, I got my protein requirements, I got my fat requirements, I've created my calorie deficiency... it's all good.

I too have said no to the liquor. It's a bit easier for me. I have a fairly newborn son, so I can get away with not drinking socially. I don't get razzed or anything about it. It's tough when you're not drinking and folks around you are.

I am in a rather unique situation since my ankle injury almost 3 years ago as it is almost impossible for me to be active. On the bright side since 2000 I have pretty much eliminated alcohol from my life drinking probably 12 beer a year.

Until my injury I never weighed more than 165 lbs at 5' 11" and had a Body Fat Percentage of around 10%. For a guy that grew up with a Body Fat Percentage of 4% in his 20's I was comfortable with where I was at 10%.

Today I am 195 lbs and unable to be active though now that my surgery wounds have adequately healed I will get back to swimming.

With all that said I want to loose 35 - 40 lbs but it makes it especially difficult to be active in the ways I was before. I probably walked 15-20 km's a day pre injury and now that is impossible. I truly believe activity and moderation is the key to a healthy body and mind.

Now for my conundrum. I have cut my portion sizes to a third of my normal levels and eat next to no desserts, candies or chips. My only real sugar intake is through my coffee and the odd iced cap from Timmies. Now unfortunately due to a fracture on the tibia Due to a sliver of dead bone I likely won't be able to walk more than a couple hundred meters at a time for 4-5 years. Do any of you know a good cardio activity that could be performed outside of the pool time? I think an activity that could burn 750- 1000 calories and tone my now flabby body would be important for my long term health. Please just remember my right ankle is unable to be used. (Until it has healed I maximize the use of the injured ankle by pushing it to its limits 5-6 times a day causing a pain management issue of pushing my pain levels above an 8)

THanks for the ideas in advance.

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
Tried being vegan. It sucks. My testosterone dropped so bad I regret it now.

A few days after quitting vegan I was thinking why do I feel so good.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Do any of you know a good cardio activity that could be performed outside of the pool time? I think an activity that could burn 750- 1000 calories and tone my now flabby body would be important for my long term health. Please just remember my right ankle is unable to be used. (Until it has healed I maximize the use of the injured ankle by pushing it to its limits 5-6 times a day causing a pain management issue of pushing my pain levels above an 8)
Honestly if you put in hard time in the pool that's likely your best bet. You could get close to that level of calorie burn in about 45(ish) minutes of vigorous effort.

Some time in the weight room would help too, but given your ankle issues you're likely stuck to a limited number of machines. Not necessarily for the calorie burn but to build some of the muscle you've inevitably lost during recovery.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly if you put in hard time in the pool that's likely your best bet. You could get close to that level of calorie burn in about 45(ish) minutes of vigorous effort.

Some time in the weight room would help too, but given your ankle issues you're likely stuck to a limited number of machines. Not necessarily for the calorie burn but to build some of the muscle you've inevitably lost during recovery.

That Cal burn requirement is fairly large. That's like running at full speed on like 8 to 30s intervals for an hour. That's a big ask.
@SKRusty does the exercise Bike do you well? Or a row machine? Or an elliptical at all? running of course is a not go, but the others are super low impact for your joints.
In terms of the pool, when my wife injured her foot, she did essentially a noodle around her legs so she'd focus on upper body mostly.

I agree, you should hit the weight room; but I think you could get a monster workout without the ankle even. It's what I recommend. Building muscle and doing your due diligence in the gym is like investing into a home. The long term benefits are second to none.

Like I could probably think of like 10-20 routines that have no real ankle/foot use, also accounting for the inability to moving around heavy dumbbells; that'd get you moving in the right direction.
My normal gym routine is like getting warmed up on a bike or doing some cardio for 15 minutes (sometimes more, sometimes less, depends on what my body is telling me to do), then a weight or stretch session, sometimes both, depending on what my body's telling me. 45-1 hour in the gym, and I leave having burnt decent cals (not 1000) but also helping my body burn more through the day and building muscle... which burns more on its own.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I am in a rather unique situation since my ankle injury almost 3 years ago as it is almost impossible for me to be active. On the bright side since 2000 I have pretty much eliminated alcohol from my life drinking probably 12 beer a year.

Until my injury I never weighed more than 165 lbs at 5' 11" and had a Body Fat Percentage of around 10%. For a guy that grew up with a Body Fat Percentage of 4% in his 20's I was comfortable with where I was at 10%.

Today I am 195 lbs and unable to be active though now that my surgery wounds have adequately healed I will get back to swimming.

With all that said I want to loose 35 - 40 lbs but it makes it especially difficult to be active in the ways I was before. I probably walked 15-20 km's a day pre injury and now that is impossible. I truly believe activity and moderation is the key to a healthy body and mind.

Now for my conundrum. I have cut my portion sizes to a third of my normal levels and eat next to no desserts, candies or chips. My only real sugar intake is through my coffee and the odd iced cap from Timmies. Now unfortunately due to a fracture on the tibia Due to a sliver of dead bone I likely won't be able to walk more than a couple hundred meters at a time for 4-5 years. Do any of you know a good cardio activity that could be performed outside of the pool time? I think an activity that could burn 750- 1000 calories and tone my now flabby body would be important for my long term health. Please just remember my right ankle is unable to be used. (Until it has healed I maximize the use of the injured ankle by pushing it to its limits 5-6 times a day causing a pain management issue of pushing my pain levels above an 8)

THanks for the ideas in advance.

What are the limitations of the ankle in terms of movement, standing duration and being restricted? Are all of bike/trike riding, scooter and roller blading out of the question? What about stand up paddle boarding or kayaking?

I wonder if aerial yoga or pole dancing are appropriate as well if kept to basic moves, as I would be concerned about landing awkwardly on the ankle.

Twicycle or hand pedal bikes might work too, but they're quite pricey IIRC.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
FYI thank you gents I am examining the effects of a exercise bike atm.
What are the limitations of the ankle in terms of movement, standing duration and being restricted? Are all of bike/trike riding, scooter and roller blading out of the question? What about stand up paddle boarding or kayaking?

I wonder if aerial yoga or pole dancing are appropriate as well if kept to basic moves, as I would be concerned about landing awkwardly on the ankle.

Twicycle or hand pedal bikes might work too, but they're quite pricey IIRC.

My issue is a long-bone fracture from 2 inches above the ankle joint to 5 inches in the tibia. Normal daily life causes swelling and subsequent pain at the fracture sight and since it is under the retinaculum (?sp) the pain can be severe so any additional standing or weight bearing activities are not really possible.

I have since started some chair cardio programs I was pointed to and since the load on the ankle on the bike is far from full weight bearing I am having some success there.

To live life atm I am using a cane to offload probably between 25-30% of my weight from my ankle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad