OT: Healthy Living 3.0

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Went to the gym for the first time after like 4 weeks (or 3+ months for doing legs cause I pulled my quad) and damn son, them DOMS hit my chest/shoulders like a mofo. Legs DOMS aren't too bad today which is surprising, though I expect them to be hurting much more tomorrow. Leg strength dipped 40lbs on my squat :(; hoping to get back to 225lbs (not much I know) in a month. finally hit 225lbs for 5 reps for 3 sets in the summer, then pulled my quad playing baseball and had to stop and now I lost my strength. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUu

Hate not going to the gym for an extended period of time, feel like such a bum.

I know how you feel, I've been pretty inconsistent lately - largely because my sleep schedule is inconsistent too, so the gym tends to fall to the wayside. Went in on Monday for the first time in almost a week and a half - destroyed my legs squatting, I still have pretty rough DOMS. Looking like I have to drop weight on my chin-ups and overhead press too :(

Feels bad man. The gym is important stuff.

Jags68

Oct 16, 2017
So guys part of healthy living is rest. How long should I rest for, and from when to when? Is 8 hours good enough? More or less needed?

Doesn't matter as long as you hit all 3 stages of REM sleep uninterupted.

Essentially waking up without an alarm is ideal, but can be a bit more difficult in todays society.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've been slacking as of late, just due to some career changes, life changes and new business ventures.
But it feels good when you put the work in to have built enough muscle to get away with it though and not feel horrible about yourself :laugh:

Still have some abs showing, still have the guns... just a bit thicker on the side after really taking it easy for the past 1 1/2 months.

November I'm helping my best friends' GF getting into shape for their wedding, it'll motivate me to get back to pounding the weights.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I know how you feel, I've been pretty inconsistent lately - largely because my sleep schedule is inconsistent too, so the gym tends to fall to the wayside. Went in on Monday for the first time in almost a week and a half - destroyed my legs squatting, I still have pretty rough DOMS. Looking like I have to drop weight on my chin-ups and overhead press too :(

Feels bad man. The gym is important stuff.

Legs felt mostly fine today which was surprising, had a nap for 60 minutes, woke up and was dead. lawd them DOMS came out of no where, chest DOMS were excruciating today. Not expecting that bad of back DOMS because I rarely get them that bad. Still, was able to hit all 3 main body areas so I can get the DOMS out of the way, now I can get back to upping the weight the next few sessions. Thank f*** for muscle memory, even if I was only away for a short period of time I should be able to get my strength back in short order.

Then back to the bulk I had planned out a few months ago, 2 months essentially wasted. :( 6 months of bulking ahead, then cut for summer, hopefully.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I almost picked up one of those foam rollers the other day. Mostly wanted to use it to try and massage some muscles. Worth the investment?
If you're doing lots of exercise, probably a good investment. It's one of those things that I wondered "why do I need this?" then used it and found out why.

Fortunately my gym has one so I didn't have to buy it.

@Fig, thanks for the heads up on the Winners deal. Will take a look (looking for the knobby stick)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If you're doing lots of exercise, probably a good investment. It's one of those things that I wondered "why do I need this?" then used it and found out why.

Fortunately my gym has one so I didn't have to buy it.

@Fig, thanks for the heads up on the Winners deal. Will take a look (looking for the knobby stick)

Go fit is a good brand I liked using. I saw a bunch of their stuff at Winners two years ago and last year.

I found this at Winners once upon a time for less than $30.

Foam rollers wise I just bought one of those longer rollers with a ripped plastic covering. I asked if they had one without the ripped plastic or if it could be re-wrapped as it was to be a gift and IIRC they knocked of 10 or 15% as a damaged goods final sale.

Savoie92

Jul 5, 2012
Regina
Deciced to push myself to my limits in the gym today hit a huge PR on deadlifts hit 300 lbs for one rep! thats 75 lbs in 5 months!

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Hey HFlames. TBJ Checking back in.

I've been working out for the last 2.5 weeks and I feel great, I'm only doing 200 pushups a day, with bench, curls, ohp, planks and Arnold presses.
I do my cardio in my basement for 15 minutes, and then get right to my workout. I'm eating lots, and trying to fit in social life, healthy living 2.0, and healthy eating.

Hope you guys' are progressing with your goals and keeping up with the gains train. I'm at 177, but I hope to trim some belly fat.

Much love, from HFSabres

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sounds like you're doing great! Keep up the good work.

I'm definitely staring at my holiday belly and trying to come up with a better way to maintain a good weight. My upkeep is horrible. Three months ago I was about 191 lbs. Two months ago I was around 174. I am currently 186 lbs. These major weight fluctuations cannot be healthy at all.

Reactions: Mittelstadt

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have an instant pot - it is incredible. I do recommend it. Not healthy in and of itself, but it gives me another kitchen gadget that allows me to try doing weekly meal prep every Sunday - lunches and dinners for 7 days. Monday - Tuesday go in the fridge, the rest in the freezer.
I just picked up a small rice cooker and a hamburger press, hoping to reduce eating out, plus some Cajun burgers would be amazing.

Also when I get paid tomorrow, I am ordering a heavy bag, a rack to hang it from, along with the necessary gloves and hand wraps.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I have an instant pot - it is incredible. I do recommend it. Not healthy in and of itself, but it gives me another kitchen gadget that allows me to try doing weekly meal prep every Sunday - lunches and dinners for 7 days. Monday - Tuesday go in the fridge, the rest in the freezer.

If you want another suggestion for a kitchen gadget that saves a lot of time and effort, how about a sous vide circulator? I have one of these and I use it at least once a week. It's great cause you throw in your bagged frozen meats and veggies into a container with water, turn it on, and go do stuff while it cooks. Beauty is you can never overcook your food. Sometimes I like to have it running while I'm doing errands or going for a workout at the gym. One time, as an experiment, I cooked a crappy cut of steak for 7+ hours just to see how tender it'd get and it turned out really well! I've been using the Anova Wifi cooker for a couple years, but I'm pretty sure there's cheaper options available now.

I bagged my proteins in ziplock bags for the longest time, but I've recently taken it a step further and bought a cheap vacuum sealer I saw on sale. Now I just buy all my meats at once, portion/prep them, then seal and freeze. Then for dinner, I just pull one out, toss it into the water bath, and watch hockey for a period.

Also when I get paid tomorrow, I am ordering a heavy bag, a rack to hang it from, along with the necessary gloves and hand wraps.

Good luck man. Boxing is what got me started on this whole exercising/living healthy kick. I don't do it any more, but I loved that feeling you get after a good session of beating the shit out of a heavy bag.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Good luck man. Boxing is what got me started on this whole exercising/living healthy kick. I don't do it any more, but I loved that feeling you get after a good session of beating the **** out of a heavy bag.
That's kind of what I am hoping. I've always wanted one, just made excuses not to get one (usually money and it was a legitimate excuse), but if I've wanted it for this long, why not? Worst case, I relieve some stress. I've already been watching some videos on how to wrap my hands, technique and some routines. The rack I am getting also has a spot for a speedbag, so when I get better, I can add that too.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
That's kind of what I am hoping. I've always wanted one, just made excuses not to get one (usually money and it was a legitimate excuse), but if I've wanted it for this long, why not? Worst case, I relieve some stress. I've already been watching some videos on how to wrap my hands, technique and some routines. The rack I am getting also has a spot for a speedbag, so when I get better, I can add that too.

Yeah, I figured if anything it would be a great stress reliever for you. I remembered my first session with the heavy bag. I was worn down and had never sweat so much in my life (literally), but wow did it feel good. Speedbags are really fun, especially once you get a nice rhythm going, though it can be a little clumsy when you're first starting out.

Don't cheap out on gloves too. I started with really poorly padded ones and they did more harm than good. I ended up replacing them with 16 oz Boes gloves and they were much better.

$_35.JPG

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, I figured if anything it would be a great stress reliever for you. I remembered my first session with the heavy bag. I was worn down and had never sweat so much in my life (literally), but wow did it feel good. Speedbags are really fun, especially once you get a nice rhythm going, though it can be a little clumsy when you're first starting out.

Don't cheap out on gloves too. I started with really poorly padded ones and they did more harm than good. I ended up replacing them with 16 oz Boes gloves and they were much better.

$_35.JPG
For now I am starting out with a pair of everlast heavy bag gloves. But I did make a point to find 200" hand wraps.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Insta pot is a good meal prep method. But food definitely tastes better if you "finish" it on the stove or over after a pressure cook. It also makes super good rice. Try making tomato rice. (Recipe below)

I just picked up a small rice cooker and a hamburger press, hoping to reduce eating out, plus some Cajun burgers would be amazing.

What type of rice cooker? IMO in the Sous vide/Instapot war, the rice cooker deserves way more love. Try making tomato rice. The most basic version is washed rice, olive oil, salt and pepper in the rice cooker with a tomato sitting on top. There's more advanced versions of this dish too. I've made this about a dozen times since I first stumbled upon the recipe in early December.

[yt]

Doing Hainanese Chicken rice using a packet is great too. Just do boiled chicken, sliced cucumbers and a dipping sauce on the side. Fantastic basic meal option as well.

Loblaws

It's totally on my wish list but is just further down. At least it's small enough to not be intrusive in my already limited space.

I have a sous vide and it's a fantastic food prep method. I like freezing bags of meat with salt and garlic powder and then just pulling them out to sous vide later on. Swedish meatballs are awesome too. But you definitely need to finish the cook on a stove or oven. Otherwise, it's weird.

Lots of cheap options coming out for sous vide. Get a good container set up, a binder clip and a bunch of large freezer bags and you're set.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Next Saturday: eat a lot of deep fried food and drink shitloads of beer, since couple old friends who I rarely see (one lives abroad) are coming over.
Next week: I'm seriously gonna start my workout routine. New year and all that bullshit, but it's really good time to start getting my shit together, a lot less things to worry about now. My goal is to be a lot healthier in late 2020 when I turn 40, and this includes losing around 30kg.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
My new years resolution was to read more and reduce carbs. I've also resolved to do on average 5 push ups a day. It's not much, but at least it's something shameful to not achieve that I likely will achieve it.

That damn tomato rice recipe though... Gonna make it tough.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Insta pot is a good meal prep method. But food definitely tastes better if you "finish" it on the stove or over after a pressure cook.
Yeah I know.

It's the issue of some nights I'm at the gym, then not home until 6:30, starting dinner at like 7:00 and eating around 8. Frozen options from the grocery store would be easier but are garbage - and expensive - and the wrong portion size - so I figured this would be a good way to help manage my time and food intake. I'm trying to make stuff that has a sauce that hides the frozen-ness of the meal.

That tomato rice recipe looks a lot like the "spanish" rice recipe my mom used to make, but it was on the stovetop and used canned tomatoes (and some diced onion). I'll have to use the rice cooker feature and try that recipe though.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
This has been frustrating me for the past few weeks but I have been getting a slight pain every time I squat in my right hip.

I think this is a posture thing, as I was told by a friend my hip actually shifts to the left leaving my squat a little uneven. Not sure if I need to see a chiro to fix up my stance, however I haven't gone past 185lbs just to be on the safe side.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Meal prep is done. Four weeks worth of meals of seven varieties. Each under 600 calories.
- Teriyaki turkey meatballs
- BBQ Chicken with stuffing and vegetables
- Roast beef with gravy, potatoes, vegetables
- Tomato/pepper/onion & chicken (basically filling for wraps or topping for rice)
- Bulgogi beef with broccoli, rice & dumplings
- Perogies, cabbage rolls and chicken sausage with fried onion
- Beef stroganoff with egg noodles

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Meal prep is done. Four weeks worth of meals of seven varieties. Each under 600 calories.
- Teriyaki turkey meatballs
- BBQ Chicken with stuffing and vegetables
- Roast beef with gravy, potatoes, vegetables
- Tomato/pepper/onion & chicken (basically filling for wraps or topping for rice)
- Bulgogi beef with broccoli, rice & dumplings
- Perogies, cabbage rolls and chicken sausage with fried onion
- Beef stroganoff with egg noodles

That's awesome, how long did that take?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad