OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
They might send you to a PT that can tell you what to do to prevent the injury from reoccurring

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
So I’ve got some pain in my outer left knee. Gets worse after squatting and then randomly after not being on my legs throughout the day it’ll hurt when I get up.

Any ideas?

I’ve been just squatting through it but had to stop after my 2nd set today. Hurts more after the squat than during the squats...

Would a knee sleeve help?

I agree. Doc knows best.

However, bro science here, are you sure your form is good? Are you pivoting your feet? Losing core stability? Could be a lot with form.

You are doing 5x5 yeah? I was doing 3x5 and my knees were getting wrecked. I switched to 5/3/1 and all the warm up sets as well as lighter weights helped me immensely. I had upper patella pain after squatting on 3x5, all went away after I switched.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I agree. Doc knows best.

However, bro science here, are you sure your form is good? Are you pivoting your feet? Losing core stability? Could be a lot with form.

You are doing 5x5 yeah? I was doing 3x5 and my knees were getting wrecked. I switched to 5/3/1 and all the warm up sets as well as lighter weights helped me immensely. I had upper patella pain after squatting on 3x5, all went away after I switched.

I’m doing 5x5 yes. I’m pretty sure my form is good. Saw a guy at the gym who had good form and he checked mine and thought it was good. He said my right knee kind of pushed inward, but that was like 4 weeks ago and I’ve been consciously thinking about it during each squat. My LEFT knee is the one that hurts now.

My feet don’t pivot, core stability might not be great I don’t know. I feel like I don’t really lean forward or wobble most of the time. I’ll try to record myself next time I’m able to squat.

There’s a video by Athlean-X about IT band syndrome and 2 mobility stretches you can do. I plan to try those out and see if they help. I also prematurely ordered a knee brace just in case. Only $15 on Amazon with great reviews. If it was pointless or doesn’t work, no big deal.

If knee pain persists after the weekend I’m gonna go to the doctor. Well actually after Vegas I work 2 nights and then have a 1-week trip to Mexico.

Like I said, been following the program, maintaining my clean bulk nutrition plan very well, etc. It’s just extremely deflating to be doing this for the first time in my life, have big goals and being proud of myself for the life change and progress, and now it a setback that for all I know could be permanent. I just hope it goes away soon and I can get back on the horse.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I’m doing 5x5 yes. I’m pretty sure my form is good. Saw a guy at the gym who had good form and he checked mine and thought it was good. He said my right knee kind of pushed inward, but that was like 4 weeks ago and I’ve been consciously thinking about it during each squat. My LEFT knee is the one that hurts now.

My feet don’t pivot, core stability might not be great I don’t know. I feel like I don’t really lean forward or wobble most of the time. I’ll try to record myself next time I’m able to squat.

There’s a video by Athlean-X about IT band syndrome and 2 mobility stretches you can do. I plan to try those out and see if they help. I also prematurely ordered a knee brace just in case. Only $15 on Amazon with great reviews. If it was pointless or doesn’t work, no big deal.

If knee pain persists after the weekend I’m gonna go to the doctor. Well actually after Vegas I work 2 nights and then have a 1-week trip to Mexico.

Like I said, been following the program, maintaining my clean bulk nutrition plan very well, etc. It’s just extremely deflating to be doing this for the first time in my life, have big goals and being proud of myself for the life change and progress, and now it a setback that for all I know could be permanent. I just hope it goes away soon and I can get back on the horse.

I see. Check this guy out .Very informative .

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
When I had outer knee pain similar to how you describe it, @TorMenT it was an LCL injury from hockey. Just a slight tear. Had to let it heal on its own, basically. But it bothered me for about 6 months or better. When I just injured my ankle in my game on Monday... I re-injured that, too. It has been bugging me ever since :(

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
When I had outer knee pain similar to how you describe it, @TorMenT it was an LCL injury from hockey. Just a slight tear. Had to let it heal on its own, basically. But it bothered me for about 6 months or better. When I just injured my ankle in my game on Monday... I re-injured that, too. It has been bugging me ever since :(

Well hopefully it’s not bothering me for 6 months, and good luck in your recovery!

Also thanks for that video @Easy E. Watched it last night and looks like I may need to work on some mobility, especially in my ankles. Probably shoulders back and chest out as well, though I think I keep a fairly straight back. I think I go to parallel so might need to go just a little further which will come from ankle mobility.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I’m down to 170 from almost 190 back in April. Shooting for 160 by the end of September when I’ll be looking to bulk up to 175 and then cut back to 165 (and probably stick around there).

Wow. That's fast work.

How tall are you?

Going to finally try to restart my diet starting August 1st. Need to build up my dad bod.

LOL. Just wait until you are hauling him around at like 6 months old + his infant car seat. Instant bicep gains.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Been taking ibuprofen to help with my IT band syndrome and was able to squat with very little discomfort. Nurse wife says it keeps the inflammation down. Stretched a lot more before squats than usual which probably helped. Thursday I’ll finally be squatting 1 plate on each side. Small steps.

Making decent progress considering I’ve never worked out in my life until last few months.

Reactions: Kurtosis

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Been taking ibuprofen to help with my IT band syndrome and was able to squat with very little discomfort. Nurse wife says it keeps the inflammation down. Stretched a lot more before squats than usual which probably helped. Thursday I’ll finally be squatting 1 plate on each side. Small steps.

Making decent progress considering I’ve never worked out in my life until last few months.
Awesome dude.

Reactions: TorMenT

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I’m down to 170 from almost 190 back in April. Shooting for 160 by the end of September when I’ll be looking to bulk up to 175 and then cut back to 165 (and probably stick around there).

Bulking and cutting serve no purpose for the average (non competing) trainee.

Reactions: Illinihockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad