OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I started with the recommended weights for beginners (the bar for most exercises). Thanks for the advice. I don’t plan to “diet”, but more watch what I eat. No pop, limited alcohol, no sugar, etc. Hoping by the end of the year to see enough results to convince me to go harder on a nutrition plan to really get the body I want.

Limited alcohol is my downfall :(.

I saw results pretty quickly. Especially chest and shoulders.

Reactions: Illinihockey

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I saw results pretty quickly. Especially chest and shoulders.

Good to know. I don’t doubt I’ll see results. I’m hoping by year end though I’m thinking to myself “Really starting to like how I’m looking, all I need now is some abs”. That’s the motivation I’d need to work much harder on my nutrition than just the little bit I mentioned above.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
5x5 is a good program. You will definitely see and feel results from it. Starting out with the bar and recommended dead-lift weight is a good way to go. As others have said, it progresses quickly and is a good intro to your body back to lifting again. Good luck!

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Took the last 3 days off, tomorrow I'm going for 1000 lbs club. Pretty sure I'm going to get it as long as I don't tweak a muscle in my back during my squat (been having a problem with it last week or so)

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I wanted to give 400 lbs a shot on squat but didn’t want to potentially burn myself out or tweak something and ruin the point of what I was trying to do

Crow

May 19, 2014
I did orange theory for the first time today. I like it. I think I can just do it on my own though.

Crow

May 19, 2014
What is it?
Interval training lead by an instructor. The class I went to had 3 stations. One where you ran on a treadmill, one where you rowed, and one where you lifted some weights. I think that’s pretty consistent that you use all three every time but I’ve only been once.

They vary the amount of time you are at each station and your intensity to try to meet a heart rate target. The instructor tells you when to switch and when to put out maximum effort and when to catch your breath a little. Also you watch your heart rate. You want to keep it in the orange level which is basically about 85-90% of max. So you switch around the stations for an hour and get a pretty intense workout.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

Nice job. I'm jealous.

I'm almost ready to accept I can't do a heavy squat. 247.5/290/282.5 are my calculated 1RM (sq/bp/dl). Im using a home gym so I only have around 300lbs weight.

I'm in the middle of a 5/3/1 cycle so at the end of it, I'll do a training max test week .

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I think a key is squatting is just getting a good solid stance and remembering to drive your knees out on your way up. When I falter on a dead lift or squat its usually because I let my knees start to come in towards each other. Just push your knees and feet out and think about driving your hips up towards the ceiling. I don't use a belt when I squat but I know a lot of people do and it helps them.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I think a key is squatting is just getting a good solid stance and remembering to drive your knees out on your way up. When I falter on a dead lift or squat its usually because I let my knees start to come in towards each other. Just push your knees and feet out and think about driving your hips up towards the ceiling. I don't use a belt when I squat but I know a lot of people do and it helps them.

I'll give it a shot tonight. My numbers are dumb. I'm benching more than deadlifting. That can't be real. It's my fault for ignoring my legs for the first 29 years of my life. Lol

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I'll give it a shot tonight. My numbers are dumb. I'm benching more than deadlifting. That can't be real. It's my fault for ignoring my legs for the first 29 years of my life. Lol
Brace the core before you go down as well. Being too loose can make it hard to get out of the hole.

Google back squat cues too. There are a bunch out there and you may find some more that suit you.

Reactions: migi and Easy E

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Brace the core before you go down as well. Being too loose can make it hard to get out of the hole.

giphy.gif

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
After my SQs, tried 1RM on DL, got 295lb x 1 clean, felt good. Tried 315lbs, got it off the ground, but stopped, didn't want to tweak anything.

5/3/1 treating me well, lots of volume.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I’m more going for the slight progressive overload and focusing on form above all so I don’t think a 5/3/1 is for me right this moment. I am really wary of injuring myself.

I did 9 months of a linear progression program ie Starting Strength (a lot of people do 5x5 Stronglifts instead) and I was plateauing so I decided to make the switch. I really think it was the conditioning and volume I needed, not the mass weights. Both awesome programs IMO.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Still just trying to look great naked. Getting and keeping the flab off is fantastically annoying.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Still just trying to look great naked. Getting and keeping the flab off is fantastically annoying.

This is my issue for the next few weeks. All my heavy training is done for Ironman whistler.... but I still have the appetite as if I’m logging 10-12 hour single training days on a single day and 20 hours a week. :laugh:

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Started a “clean bulk” this week. All the TDEE calculators had me somewhere between 2200-2600 maintenance calories. I’m going with 2200 and eating an excess of 300 so shooting for roughly 2550 calories per day, with 0.8g-1.0g protein per pound of weight.

So basically 2550 calories, with 124-155g protein.

Got some whey protein isolate powder that I’m making shakes with after each of my 5x5 workouts. Ordered some creative I haven’t gotten yet. Those are the only supplements I plan to take. Hoping to bulk until next spring as long as I don’t pack on too much fat, and then cut into Summer to hopefully have enough muscle to look pretty good. Maybe even some visible abs if I’m lucky. Assuming that’ll take another year though since I started out skinny fat this March and had never really worked out in my life.

My next 5x5 numbers will be:

Squat 105lbs
Bench 70lbs
Row 90lbs
OH press 70lbs
Deadlift 140lbs

I’ve never tried to max but have yet to miss the 5x5. Not sure if I’ve actually gotten stronger yet, but I’d imagine I have.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Started a “clean bulk” this week. All the TDEE calculators had me somewhere between 2200-2600 maintenance calories. I’m going with 2200 and eating an excess of 300 so shooting for roughly 2550 calories per day, with 0.8g-1.0g protein per pound of weight.

So basically 2550 calories, with 124-155g protein.

Got some whey protein isolate powder that I’m making shakes with after each of my 5x5 workouts. Ordered some creative I haven’t gotten yet. Those are the only supplements I plan to take. Hoping to bulk until next spring as long as I don’t pack on too much fat, and then cut into Summer to hopefully have enough muscle to look pretty good. Maybe even some visible abs if I’m lucky. Assuming that’ll take another year though since I started out skinny fat this March and had never really worked out in my life.

My next 5x5 numbers will be:

Squat 105lbs
Bench 70lbs
Row 90lbs
OH press 70lbs
Deadlift 140lbs

I’ve never tried to max but have yet to miss the 5x5. Not sure if I’ve actually gotten stronger yet, but I’d imagine I have.

Try some creatine mono if you are open to it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad