OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow

May 19, 2014
We have one. They are awesome! Gives every cell in your body the opportunity to be suspended in mid air with each jump and than to be bounced which stimulates all sorts of good stuff which is a very healthy thing cellularly speaking!
I wish I could try one before committing. They don’t cost too terribly much though.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I don’t even know what the difference is. Might just be a marketing thing.
From my understanding the rebounder has greater tension within the springs so that when jumping the the body receives a more abrupt bounce which as I stated above provides for good all round cellular regeneration.
It's also not really boring at all .... depending upon the person of course as it kind of brings some of that giddy childhood back into the equation. The joy of just jumping up and down. One can also do a number of different things with legs and arms and twists as you go up and down. Put on some tunes and jump your way to nirvanna!

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Wow.... 5/3/1 is way more intense than SS. This program punished me, but I'm only 2 sessions in.

Really goes to show that high weights are for your ego. I'm happy I did SS to bulk up and set my training maxes though. It did it's job.

The 5/3/1 Philosophy for Beginners

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I don't think it's too many but that program would be better for him.

Press behind the neck dangerous? Meh. If one thinks so, there are plenty of substitutes available.

The idea is to use compound movements instead of isolation exercises.

I also note that a ridiculous number of trainees do not do squats.

IF YOU WANT TO GROW, YOU NEED TO SQUAT. PERIOD

I never did squats because I don’t want a big ass, although I truthfully don’t know if my observations of people I’d see doing squats were causation/correlation.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I never did squats because I don’t want a big ass, although I truthfully don’t know if my observations of people I’d see doing squats were causation/correlation.
Squatting will definitely develop muscle in your legs and ass but if you don't want that then I guess you just don't want to be strong. The most powerful area of your body is your hips and core. If you're aiming to be an athlete you need to squat, I can't think of any sport where it wouldn't be beneficial to have a strong lower body.

If you're just going for a specific aesthetic look then sure, but if you want to be strong and healthy, you need to squat.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Squatting will definitely develop muscle in your legs and ass but if you don't want that then I guess you just don't want to be strong. The most powerful area of your body is your hips and core. If you're aiming to be an athlete you need to squat, I can't think of any sport where it wouldn't be beneficial to have a strong lower body.

If you're just going for a specific aesthetic look then sure, but if you want to be strong and healthy, you need to squat.

At this point I mainly do cardio. Back when I used to lift it was to be in shape and look good, not for a sport. I play golf, tennis, and sometimes pickup basketball, and I don’t need weight training for any of that.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills

Small point to those who may be so inclined ... squats don't have to involve weights. A full squat with feet flat on the ground and butt almost touching the ground is a great stretch and opening for the groin etc. But hey I'm more into yoga than the weight work program!

Reactions: RayP

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
At this point I mainly do cardio. Back when I used to lift it was to be in shape and look good, not for a sport. I play golf, tennis, and sometimes pickup basketball, and I don’t need weight training for any of that.
Training squats would absolutely help a golfer, tennis player or a basketball player.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Training squats would absolutely help a golfer, tennis player or a basketball player.

You’re misunderstanding. I’m not saying a stronger lower-half couldn’t help someone at those sports. But for me, in my friendly tennis/golf matches, I don’t need it. And I don’t want a big ass.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
You’re misunderstanding. I’m not saying a stronger lower-half couldn’t help someone at those sports. But for me, in my friendly tennis/golf matches, I don’t need it. And I don’t want a big ass.
Totally fair, just didn't want it to seem like squatting wouldn't help people in those sports if they were seriously pursuing them. Obviously if you're just playing them casually you don't need to do anything.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Wife and I are trying to dedicate Thursday as “New Trail Thursday” and man did we find a good one tonight. Awesome, awesome ride.

Del17Pd_d.jpg

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Think I'm going to make a run at the 1,000 pound club. Pretty close already but never done all of those lifts on the same day.

Reactions: Easy E

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Been "dieting" and working out for just over 3 months now. Started at 172lbs, currently 157. Fairly close to ideal weight for my frame I believe, but definitely still have some fat I want gone. Most I've ever weighed was 178, so down 21 lbs from that number as well.

I put dieting in quotations above because it's mainly just generally try to stay under a certain calorie limit, only avoiding pop, sugar, and limiting beer intake to something like 3-4 beers a week (1 social night).

Reactions: Illinihockey

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Been "dieting" and working out for just over 3 months now. Started at 172lbs, currently 157. Fairly close to ideal weight for my frame I believe, but definitely still have some fat I want gone. Most I've ever weighed was 178, so down 21 lbs from that number as well.

I put dieting in quotations above because it's mainly just generally try to stay under a certain calorie limit, only avoiding pop, sugar, and limiting beer intake to something like 3-4 beers a week (1 social night).
Man 150-160 is pretty darn light to be an ideal weight, you'd have to be less than like, 5'7" I'd say

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Man 150-160 is pretty darn light to be an ideal weight, you'd have to be less than like, 5'7" I'd say

I'm 5'7" or 5'8" and have a small frame. Literally NEVER lifted in high school and graduated at 135.... One of those skinny kids :laugh:

I'd say 150-160 is probably the ideal weight for me if I pack on a little more muscle and lose a little more fat.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Think I'm going to make a run at the 1,000 pound club. Pretty close already but never done all of those lifts on the same day.
God speed. Hope you get it .

Still my end goal but my squats are just pathetic right now. I switch to 5/3/1 and it's grueling because it is so much volume and I think it helped develop my squats and deadlifts much better than SS. I might run it for a few more cycles and switch back to SS.

I started the 5x5 program this week

Cool. I did Starting Strength (pretty much 3x5), it was the basis for Stronglifts. You'll be glad you did it .

Start light because it progresses fast! Also, I wouldn't diet when on the program, just let the program do it's thing.

Reactions: TorMenT

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
God speed. Hope you get it .

Still my end goal but my squats are just pathetic right now. I switch to 5/3/1 and it's grueling because it is so much volume and I think it helped develop my squats and deadlifts much better than SS. I might run it for a few more cycles and switch back to SS.

Cool. I did Starting Strength (pretty much 3x5), it was the basis for Stronglifts. You'll be glad you did it .

Start light because it progresses fast! Also, I wouldn't diet when on the program, just let the program do it's thing.

I started with the recommended weights for beginners (the bar for most exercises). Thanks for the advice. I don’t plan to “diet”, but more watch what I eat. No pop, limited alcohol, no sugar, etc. Hoping by the end of the year to see enough results to convince me to go harder on a nutrition plan to really get the body I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad