OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I been out due to the Shutdown and with the combination time and lack of cash I went to the gym every day but Christmas and ate a lot of chicken, salads, broccoli, spinach you get it

I’m 5’9 and have my weight now at 188 lbs and went up in gym weightsmore along the lines 15 years ago

But as you get into your mid 50’s and beyond I been told you should cut back on weight and do more reps.

Is this right ?

For example
Dumbbell lying flat presses
45X10 Reps
60X8
75X6

Is that not advised? I can do the 75 well but it’s heavy for me I have to attack it but it works

I know a lot here workout and no more than me about weight training - do you believe in always trying to go up or as you get near or at 60+ reeling back in?

Also I strained me left shoulder yesterday doing seated shoulder presses

I’m not great on shoulders and am blown away watching guys do 3 and 4 plates on each side - what the bleep

I do
90X10
140X8
180X6

Probably too much but I admit it’s the psychological view of having two 45 lb plates on each side

Probably dumb

I also worked out at 10 a.m. mornings on Friday-Sunday when working~ but with out work I went at 7. I feel much better at 10 am

My body always seemed more free and flowing at 10 a.m. since I been up since 6 and been out walking dog and doing stuff around house ~ but at 7 I seem tighter - I do an 8 minute shoulder stretch before lifting the way hockey players stretch I don’t jump right into

What is your opinion on this (does workout time matter) and more important what should I do for my shoulder strain

I’m back to work Monday so I won’t hit gym to lift till Friday if it feels good

Ibroprfin ? Tylenol?
Ice?
Heat?
Stretch?
Don’t stretch ?
Cut back weight ?
Stay where at?
Reps????

Any help appreciated just need a game plan here

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
FB_IMG_1548818981746.jpg

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Just thought I'd bump this if anyone has any progress (or regressions ;) ) to share.

It's been a mixed bag for me, on top of some personal issues I've had to deal with.

The jump rope I've used for at least a couple of years (most of the time I've been jumping) was discontinued. I couldn't find one the same weight, but didn't think adapting to a new one would take too long.

Wrong. My timing and rhythm took more time to adjust than I anticipated. I'm finally where I want to be, and believe I'm a better jumper because of it. But it was neither fun nor easy.

I've also got a long term goal of bench pressing my body weight. I was maxing out about 20 lbs. short.

I upped the calories hoping to build some muscle, and I was able to put 5 lbs. more on the bar. Only problem - I've gained about 10 lbs.! But it's really strange - my pants still fit, and I cannot see any muscle gain, if that's what it is.

In late February, I put my bike in the shop for routine maintenance, as I wanted to do a long ride over spring break, before the weather gets too hot. It turned into a fiasco at the bike shop, culminating in them finding a crack in the frame.

Miraculously the bike had a lifetime warranty. It took a couple of weeks but I actually have a brand new bike (a Trek).

Reactions: smithformeragent

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
4E2F212D-DCA0-4457-9200-26E8114D95B2.jpeg
I ate like shit after my marathon back in November. However, I continued to run at least five miles per week and ramped back up from there which meant that I was in better shape for my half than I was at this time last year.

Living in a place where I don’t have access to a kitchen doesn’t help. Lots of eating out.

I’m down about 8 lbs since February break.

Gave up desserts for lent.

Been drinking a ton of water and doing green shakes for breakfast.

It’s amazing how one ice cream can turn into ice cream every day. Same with soda.

After Easter, I’m going to limit it to one dessert per week.

When you approach your mid 30s, you just can’t really eat whatever you want and “work it off” anymore.

Physically, I’m feeling great lately.

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Down 17 pounds since Jan-No grains of any kind,no sugar,added a 50b Probiotic to a Prebiotic,increased fat intake,BP now at 118/60,H1A1C reduced to 5.1 from 5.6,morning blood sugar below that all important 100!. Diet trumps exercise for weight loss.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Down 17 pounds since Jan-No grains of any kind,no sugar,added a 50b Probiotic to a Prebiotic,increased fat intake,BP now at 118/60,H1A1C reduced to 5.1 from 5.6,morning blood sugar below that all important 100!. Diet trumps exercise for weight loss.

Agreed. I have found it's 90% diet. Exercise is important for many, many reasons, but it is a small part of the weight loss equation.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Dropped 35lbs in 6 months coming back from shoulder injury. I cut out sugar,grains and most dairy. Didn't do calorie counting, used intermittent fasting and good quality food. As many organic foods as I could find , especially in the meat and fish department .

While I agree that diet easily trumps exercise, dieting without weight training will mean muscle loss with fat loss. If weight training is included the muscle loss is reduced greatly and the weight loss will be mostly fat.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Despite losing 25 pounds my fasting glucose level is still too high. I've cut way back on sugar & carbs but it wasn't enough. Suggestions?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Dropped 35lbs in 6 months coming back from shoulder injury. I cut out sugar,grains and most dairy. Didn't do calorie counting, used intermittent fasting and good quality food. As many organic foods as I could find , especially in the meat and fish department .

While I agree that diet easily trumps exercise, dieting without weight training will mean muscle loss with fat loss. If weight training is included the muscle loss is reduced greatly and the weight loss will be mostly fat.

yup, diet all comes down to your goal.

if you're trying to gain then carbs are a friend. just make sure its the right ones like whole grains, brown rice, sweet potatoes.

but like you said, for losing cutting carbs makes sense.

either way your point about getting things as "clean" as possible helps more than anything. Avoiding additives, refined sugars, corn syrup and preservatives is always a good idea

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

if you're trying to gain then carbs are a friend. just make sure its the right ones like whole grains, brown rice, sweet potatoes.

either way your point about getting things as "clean" as possible helps more than anything. Avoiding additives, refined sugars, corn syrup and preservatives is always a good idea

Absolutely, it's in everything. The key is eating real food as in food without labels. Processed food is just full of everything you shouldn't eat.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Despite losing 25 pounds my fasting glucose level is still too high. I've cut way back on sugar & carbs but it wasn't enough. Suggestions?

Cut it out completely. You won't believe how effective it is in dropping blood sugar , BP and heartrate. Get your carbs from low glycemic index foods.
Mostly vegetables and few fruits per day. Pasta,grains and sugar out completely.

There are protien and fat requirements to keep a body healthy but there is no minimum amount of carbs required. In other words you can live without them. I'm not telling you to cut them out completely, that takes a lot of knowledge to do correctly but just by cutting out grains, pasta, rice and sugar it will take you a long way.

Protein and fats trigger satiation in your brain that tell you your getting full. Sugar does not . You realize you're full only when you have gone well beyond it.

Don't think of sugar as only things that are sweet. Your body processes refined carbs the same way .

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Cut it out completely. You won't believe how effective it is in dropping blood sugar , BP and heartrate. Get your carbs from low glycemic index foods.
Mostly vegetables and few fruits per day. Pasta,grains and sugar out completely.

There are protien and fat requirements to keep a body healthy but there is no minimum amount of carbs required. In other words you can live without them. I'm not telling you to cut them out completely, that takes a lot of knowledge to do correctly but just by cutting out grains, pasta, rice and sugar it will take you a long way.

Protein and fats trigger satiation in your brain that tell you your getting full. Sugar does not . You realize you're full only when you have gone well beyond it.

Don't think of sugar as only things that are sweet. Your body processes refined carbs the same way .

Getting rid of pasta won't be an issue, I only have that once a week. And sugar shouldn't be too difficult, I've cut that out almost completely (no cookies, pie, cake, doughnuts, twinkies, cut way back on condiments etc) and I have to say I don't really miss any of them. Grains may be a problem- I assume you're talking about bread??? Although I've cut out a lot of bread I still have it every day (lunch), sometimes twice a day. My go to breakfast is either Special K or Cheerios, yogurt & orange juice (Tropicana 50 because it has 50% less sugar than regular oj). Incorporating more vegetables & fruit is going to be difficult because I don't like either that much.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Your diet,with the addition of Vit D,Magnesium,Fish oil and a 50b Probiotic is probably the key to eternal life.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Getting rid of pasta won't be an issue, I only have that once a week. And sugar shouldn't be too difficult, I've cut that out almost completely (no cookies, pie, cake, doughnuts, twinkies, cut way back on condiments etc) and I have to say I don't really miss any of them. Grains may be a problem- I assume you're talking about bread??? Although I've cut out a lot of bread I still have it every day (lunch), sometimes twice a day. My go to breakfast is either Special K or Cheerios, yogurt & orange juice (Tropicana 50 because it has 50% less sugar than regular oj). Incorporating more vegetables & fruit is going to be difficult because I don't like either that much.
One slice of bread disrupts healthy stomach flora for about 6 weeks. Fruit is completely unnecessary and a raiser of blood sugar. Also scan labels for soy,a known inflamer.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

These are bad carbs,that disrupt gut flora and raise blood sugar for longer periods than sugar cane.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Give pure magnesium glycinate (non buffered) with every meal a try

Also consider keto or hybrid Keto diet.... basically no starch, rice, bread, banana, potato

Especially for breakfasf. Only selected fruits like berries, lemon

This is how I got mine down

Reactions: BMC

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
These are bad carbs,that disrupt gut flora and raise blood sugar for longer periods than sugar cane.

yeah, no.

whole grains and brown rice actually feed and promote the good digestive bacteria in the gut. Also all whole grains and nearly all rices are below 40 on the GI scale and are recommended staples in diets to control blood sugar

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

With all due respect, if that's your go to breakfast no wonder your blood sugar is still high.

By comparison my go to is an omelette with brocoli. Almond milk to drink and some kefir with a few blueberries.

I never drink my fruits.

Bread twice a day is another reason you're not dropping in blood sugar to say nothing about inflammation and water retention your choices of carbs will cause. I recommend you watch a few YouTube videos on the subject.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Tried Hot Pilates the other day (just like hot yoga when you sit in a really hot room).

This was a week after my hockey tourney weekend with my family. And I have to say I broke more of a sweat/got a better workout in the Pilates class.

Like, way too much sweat. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->