OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
That’s insane

I do two 45 lb plates per side on seated shoulder presses but I’ve seen guys my weight (190) do 4 plates - sick

I am about 170. I started with 20 lbs plates and slowly progressed up to 45. Key word is slowly, injured my rotator cuff before and it's a nasty annoying injury.

I always do rotator cuff exercises as a warm up routine before i hit the plates.

Posted wrong video there, those exercises are very hard, this is the correct one:

Reactions: JCRO

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am about 170. I started with 20 lbs plates and slowly progressed up to 45. Key word is slowly, injured my rotator cuff before and it's a nasty annoying injury.

I always do rotator cuff exercises as a warm up routine before i hit the plates.

Posted wrong video there, those exercises are very hard, this is the correct one:

Great move

I start off with light walking level 3.0 slight incline 1.5 for 8 minutes to start off and as I do this I do 6 one minute shoulder exercises to get engine running and shoulders loose

I broke my shoulder in a judo match years ago and it took a long time to get over

I’m fortunate that I love the gym and lifting weights and doing cardio 3-4 times a week - being furloughed I’ve decided instead of taking Trump’s advice and asking my landlord if I can do odd jobs I’ll ‘lean out and clean out’ my body and house and been to gym every except Christmas ~ plus I own my house but plenty of odd jobs to do

Keep it up you are doing it correct just keep at it and have the mindset

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Great move

I start off with light walking level 3.0 slight incline 1.5 for 8 minutes to start off and as I do this I do 6 one minute shoulder exercises to get engine running and shoulders loose

I broke my shoulder in a judo match years ago and it took a long time to get over

I’m fortunate that I love the gym and lifting weights and doing cardio 3-4 times a week - being furloughed I’ve decided instead of taking Trump’s advice and asking my landlord if I can do odd jobs I’ll ‘lean out and clean out’ my body and house and been to gym every except Christmas ~ plus I own my house but plenty of odd jobs to do

yup, its as much mental as physical.

Im the same way in that I love lifting and the gym, unfortunately the mental side is getting tested again...

Im in the 3rd month of PT for shoulder surgery (had my bicep removed from the shoulder and screwed to the arm). Its been 7 months since I could do weights and have dropped 25lbs so far.

At least it's my 3rd time having shoulder surgery (pitching killed it), so I know the routine and was ready for the size loss. But the mental part is knowing all the work needed to get it back

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Great move

Yeah, activation is the key and it should get longer when you get older.

Motivation, it comes in waves but you need to keep on grinding, change things, tweaks; see what works for you, learn how to not injure yourself. I am fortunate enough that i love lifting and being active in general as well - you basically have no choice in the long run, you need to be and it's satisfying.

Judo is a hell of a discipline.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
FB_IMG_1546648881269.jpg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Wen't back to swimming today.

I did 16 laps (12 actual laps and 2 each warm up and cool down). It ends up being 400 yards in about a half hour.

I did backstroke and breast stroke only. I loathe freestyle.

I use a lap counter on my finger and press a button when I touch the wall after each lap.

My Fitbit Flex didn't pick up the 4 warm up/cool down laps but that's ok.

I find it fascinating that it estimates the depth of the water I swam in but I don't think it is correct.

Now if only eating healthy was as easy as jumping into the pool

Reactions: BMC

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Quick random question here: I've started to (try to) get back into shape; I was a gym rat until ~ 4 years ago but a new job & a new GF both came at once & knocked me out of routine back then; I never really got back to it consistently.

I've switched over to a 4 day work week so I'm doing long/detailed gym sessions on my 3 off days (weekends & mondays this quarter; will move to weekends & wednesdays next quarter). On my 4 work days, I'm 100% work from home. I've picked up some basic dumbbells & developed decent routines I can do here after work.

My question: I've thought about, on each work day (rotating 1 per day), doing a max pushup/ball crunch/pullup/leglift every hour on the hour (10 hour days). My thought is it would help me build strength & keep my metabolism going. Does that make any sense at all or would that type of activity be useless since it isn't really consistent but spread lightly throughout the day?

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
2019 fitness goal: Chicago Marathon in October. Training officially starts in June, so I'm taking the next 6 months to work on my strength and endurance.

Marathon #2...after swearing I'd never do one. :rolleyes:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
total fat ass rn. Hit an all time high in weight around mid December. Had surgery in September on a tumor in my back that had a 12" gash that I kinda milked so I could blame my eating on something lol. Also took up baking more intensely around the holidays which was super fun but a disaster for the waistline. Started working out again and ten lbs down in 7 days, mostly water obviously as my diet consisted of salt and sugar for four months. I'll get it back. Have a bad labrum and rotator though so I'm going to try be lean and mean.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Quick random question here: I've started to (try to) get back into shape; I was a gym rat until ~ 4 years ago but a new job & a new GF both came at once & knocked me out of routine back then; I never really got back to it consistently.

I've switched over to a 4 day work week so I'm doing long/detailed gym sessions on my 3 off days (weekends & mondays this quarter; will move to weekends & wednesdays next quarter). On my 4 work days, I'm 100% work from home. I've picked up some basic dumbbells & developed decent routines I can do here after work.

My question: I've thought about, on each work day (rotating 1 per day), doing a max pushup/ball crunch/pullup/leglift every hour on the hour (10 hour days). My thought is it would help me build strength & keep my metabolism going. Does that make any sense at all or would that type of activity be useless since it isn't really consistent but spread lightly throughout the day?

It's a good question and one I've wondered about myself. Since I have fitness equipment at home and enjoy exercise, I've wondered if when waiting for something in the microwave, why not kick out a few reps?

I don't think any physical activity is useless; but if you have goals involving strength or aesthetics, it maybe won't be the most optimal.

It sounds like the 4 day split you've outlined would provide adequate recovery time. But would the long break between sets put enough tension on the muscles? And would 10 sets be over-training?

You could ask a trainer, but I imagine 2 trainers would give you two answers. I'd try it and see how your body responds.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
It's a good question and one I've wondered about myself. Since I have fitness equipment at home and enjoy exercise, I've wondered if when waiting for something in the microwave, why not kick out a few reps?

I don't think any physical activity is useless; but if you have goals involving strength or aesthetics, it maybe won't be the most optimal.

It sounds like the 4 day split you've outlined would provide adequate recovery time. But would the long break between sets put enough tension on the muscles? And would 10 sets be over-training?

You could ask a trainer, but I imagine 2 trainers would give you two answers. I'd try it and see how your body responds.
I'll give it a try. If nothing else, it'll get me off my office chair and moving around regularly during the day, which can't hurt. Plus it'll give me mental breaks, which is important when you work from home and there is nearly zero human interaction (other than occasional calls) most of the time. I legit go days without speaking to another human face to face...

Reactions: Aeroforce

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Swimming is on hold until I'm off steroid eye drops. Hoping to get back there on Monday morning.

I'm failing miserably at eating healthy and working out regularly. Monday I'm going to re-set and re-focus

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I might have to give this video a try whenever I get the gumption back to lift weights again. I can't stand those Peck-deck machines, and I've always disliked shoulder exercises using a bar-bell and weights. This looks like a nice alternative.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I might have to give this video a try whenever I get the gumption back to lift weights again. I can't stand those Peck-deck machines, and I've always disliked shoulder exercises using a bar-bell and weights. This looks like a nice alternative.

I think that's a good idea.

I am in the same boat as you when it comes to machines and barbells. Handstand push ups used to be my go-to shoulder exercise but rotator cuff said no eventually.

What i learned about the shoulder routine is, that it is much better-safer to do more reps with slightly lower weight and progress this way as opposed to heavy weights and lower reps, maintain proper form. Shoulders are just too fragile, my opinion.

Athlean X is pretty much the only fitness channel i watch on Youtube. Jeff served as both the Head Physical Therapist and Assistant Strength Coach for the New York Mets. Recommended.

Reactions: BruinDust

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
All the barbellers,especially the post 35 year olds,keep in mind that what you eat has a big effect on muscle and tissue elasticity.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Down 12 lbs in 13 days.

Also, does anyone else work in an office where there are zero healthy people and bad food always around?

I used to but get a new job a little over a month ago where I work from home and have extreme freedom/flexibility. I was going well with eating right/exercising anyways but this makes it a million times easier.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Athlean X is pretty much the only fitness channel i watch on Youtube. Jeff served as both the Head Physical Therapist and Assistant Strength Coach for the New York Mets. Recommended.

I've followed Jeff and Athlean X and really like how he focuses more on athletics over aesthetics (for the most part). Some of the stuff he does with Jesse loses me, but I know he needs to appeal to the younger demographic as well.

I stopped doing the upright row because of Athlean X, and also stopped doing really long planks since Jeff hates those!

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Started 2019 at 205 pounds, hoping to get down to 185 for Baseball season. Been gearing down on the beers on weekends, and switching to gin. Not that it's a ton better, but it's definitely less heavy than demolishing 15 beers on a Saturday night.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I've followed Jeff and Athlean X and really like how he focuses more on athletics over aesthetics (for the most part). Some of the stuff he does with Jesse loses me, but I know he needs to appeal to the younger demographic as well.

I stopped doing the upright row because of Athlean X, and also stopped doing really long planks since Jeff hates those!

Yeah those vids with Jesse are more or less entertainment, i did like those where he makes fun of other narcissistic douche channels.

Never liked upright rows but that video was informative indeed, bent over dumbbell rows are another one - potential hernia injury, didn't know that.

Planks become really boring and sort of innefective, his approach to active planks is great; starfish crunch is a destroyer though, great stuff. His abs routines are next level, i obviously need more rest than he does.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Started 2019 at 205 pounds, hoping to get down to 185 for Baseball season. Been gearing down on the beers on weekends, and switching to gin. Not that it's a ton better, but it's definitely less heavy than demolishing 15 beers on a Saturday night.

It's hard for me to cut down on beers, i enjoy 2 or 3 after every hockey game. I try to avoid bread in the evening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad