Heads Must Roll!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
HckyFght said:
Goodenow should step aside, and Bettman must be fired. Then we'll get a deal.
-HckyFght!

No we won't.

Bettman is doing what the BOG wants. He's not on his own and using mind control on them.

Goodenow is doing what the players want, which is allow them to maximize their earning potential.

They'll be replaced by guys who will do the same thing.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
dawgbone said:
No we won't.

Bettman is doing what the BOG wants. He's not on his own and using mind control on them.

Goodenow is doing what the players want, which is allow them to maximize their earning potential.

They'll be replaced by guys who will do the same thing.

I agree that Bettman is following the mandate set out for him and is only the messenger in these negotiations while on the other hand I would disagree and say this is all Goodenow and he sways, intimidates and speaks totally on his own on behalf of the players the majority of which would vote to work under any form of cap that still pays them 53% of gross revenues. A secret vote would solve all issues and this hockey season could be salvaged. Goodenow won't agree to it so the players have to speak out against him.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
eye said:
I agree that Bettman is following the mandate set out for him and is only the messenger in these negotiations while on the other hand I would disagree and say this is all Goodenow and he sways, intimidates and speaks totally on his own on behalf of the players who secretly would all vote to work under any form of cap that still pays them 53% of gross revenues.

Well that is very surprising to hear you say that "honest" Gary Bettman is only following his employers mandate whereas "evil manipulating" Bob Goodenow is ignoring the wishes of his emplyers and only speaking for his own agenda.

Do you have any idea how this all makes you sound? To my knowledge not one person on these boards has changed their stance regarding this lockout and to whom they ascribe blame. Yet I see more and more negative nasty presumptions expressed on each side of the issue trying to somehow convert the thinking of those with whom you disagree.

It isn't going to happen.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
bling said:
Well that is very surprising to hear you say that "honest" Gary Bettman is only following his employers mandate whereas "evil manipulating" Bob Goodenow is ignoring the wishes of his emplyers and only speaking for his own agenda.

Do you have any idea how this all makes you sound? To my knowledge not one person on these boards has changed their stance regarding this lockout and to whom they ascribe blame. Yet I see more and more negative nasty presumptions expressed on each side of the issue trying to somehow convert the thinking of those with whom you disagree.

It isn't going to happen.

Bettman was hired for this very battle. The owners wanted a David Stern-type and that's what they expect out of Stern's NBA protege Bettman --- bust the players union (i.e. salary cap), expand the league and increase brand recognition, which translates into increased merchandising and luxury box revenues. Bettman wanted a salary cap in 94 but a bunch of owners with new arenas to payoff couldn't afford to lose a season. They compromised because of that and because they had a pile of new franchise money.

New arenas is not an issue now and no one beating the NHL door down to purchase new franchises, so there will be cost certainty. There has to be. To have 30 viable teams and to attract any new ones.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Clean house on both sides. I'm starting to believe there will need to be some changes in the faces if there is ever going to be changes in philosophy.

Bettman vs Goodenow is a stalemate which looks to go on indefinitely. Get rid of them both (and for good measure Daly and Saskin as well).

Instead of dwelling on their positions, fresh ideas are needed to get them negotiating and people with no past are less likely to let their ego's dictate their approach.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Chili said:
Clean house on both sides. I'm starting to believe there will need to be some changes in the faces if there is ever going to be changes in philosophy.

Bettman vs Goodenow is a stalemate which looks to go on indefinitely. Get rid of them both (and for good measure Daly and Saskin as well).

Instead of dwelling on their positions, fresh ideas are needed to get them negotiating and people with no past are less likely to let their ego's dictate their approach.

It won't happen and it's a darn shame too.

The players have gotten rich under Goodenow and the owners brought in Bettman to get a salary cap. Plus Bettman only needs support of 8 owners this time around unlike 94 when the majority compromised. The '8' rule is what the owners voted for to protect themselves from caving in.

Unless the players budge and I don't that they will because Goodenow is still crying foul ("Mommy, they locked us out!!!Boo hoo!!!"), this will not be resolved anytime soon.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
chara said:
It won't happen and it's a darn shame too.

The players have gotten rich under Goodenow and the owners brought in Bettman to get a salary cap. Plus Bettman only needs support of 8 owners this time around unlike 94 when the majority compromised. The '8' rule is what the owners voted for to protect themselves from caving in.

Unless the players budge and I don't that they will because Goodenow is still crying foul ("Mommy, they locked us out!!!Boo hoo!!!"), this will not be resolved anytime soon.

I don't think it will happen either. As far as I know, Bettman has the support of the owners and likewise Goodenow the players support.

But 2 1/2 months without negotiations is ridiculous. They, meaning both sides, are insulting every fan and hurting every employee who is out of work as a result of this standoff.

The way it is now, Rumplestiltskin would have enough time for a nap in between their bargaining sessions.

Message to the NHL and NHLPA: Like it or not, YOU NEED EACH OTHER , pick up the phone already.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Chili said:
I don't think it will happen either. As far as I know, Bettman has the support of the owners and likewise Goodenow the players support.

But 2 1/2 months without negotiations is ridiculous. They, meaning both sides, are insulting every fan and hurting every employee who is out of work as a result of this standoff.

The way it is now, Rumplestiltskin would have enough time for a nap in between their bargaining sessions.

Message to the NHL and NHLPA: Like it or not, YOU NEED EACH OTHER , pick up the phone already.

I agree totally. 2 1/2 months of non-negotiation is ridiculous. The NHL and NHLPA do need each other. Both need 30 viable franchises but a clash of egos may cost them a season.

Who needs to blink first? IMO, it has to be the players - the reality is that the '8 rule' has tipped the scales in Bettman's favour. Deep down, Goodenow has to know it and can't play this "they locked out us crap" for much longer.

There's a rumoured deal in the works. Its probably true, Goodenow couldn't bluff forever. Can't blame Goodenow for holding out though. It worked for him in 94.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I feel this is more personal than just standard business. The fact is these two guys are about beating each other than doing whats best for hockey. There is nothing stopping Bettman from stepping aside and letting Daly handle the negotiations for the owners. Same with Goodenow stepping aside. But we all know that isn't gonna happen.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
To paraphrase Bill Watters tonight on Sportsnet (in case I'm not quoting him exactly): If these two people (Bettman and Goodenow) don't get together in the next two weeks, then they should both be fired.

Here, here.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
We're getting dangerously close to hockey being the first sport of the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL cancelling an entire season.

Goodenow and Bettman have had years to get together on a new deal and right now it seems as though they as far apart as ever.

Once the season is declared cancelled, I'd like to see them both step down from their positions.

Let's get some people in these roles who can work together to get an agreement that works for both sides.

At this point, I have no confidence that these two are capable of doing that even for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->