Headphone help

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Pops is looking to buy some new over the ear, noise cancelling headphones.

What would be the models you guys would suggest? Max dollar amount he wants to spend is 500$ CAD, after tax

Two models he is looking at atm are:

Bose quiet comfort 35

Seinheiser momentum wireless 2.0

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

What would be the models you guys would suggest? Max dollar amount he wants to spend is 500$ CAD, after tax

Boss quiet comfort 35

The Bose ones have great reviews (I've never used them personally) and is $350 on Amazon (Prime).

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
As far as noise cancelling goes, no one is better than Bose. If that's your #1 priority, you have no other choice as long as money isn't a major limiting factor. The previous wired model is a bit cheaper and will do just fine too.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Boss quiet comfort 35

I've tried the Bose 35, and they are amazing for that price range of headphones. I've heard very good things about the Seinheiser's as well.

Our work gave us Sony MDR-1A and they're pretty good headphones as well and could fall into the price range you need.

Can't go wrong with the first two he wants though.

I don't know how they are now, but Shure used to have pretty decent headphones as well.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I've tried the Bose one(maybe previous gen?) in the past and they are amazing.

If he's willing to spend the coin, hard to beat Bose.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bose is overpriced junk. Do not buy Bose.

Wireless also sucks, and as much as I like Sennheiser, my condemnation of wireless overrides my love of the brand there.

If sound isolation is the top priority, see if he's willing to compromise on the over-the-ear aspect. A proper fitting IEM will always (and I mean always) block out more sound than a "noise cancelling" headphone. Even if he must go with an over-the-ear headphone, do remember that active noise cancellation doesn't automatically mean the best sound isolation, either. There are plenty of standard, closed cup over the ear headphones that will do a terrific job with sound isolation. Especially if you look towards closed cup cans designed for studio use.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I would definitely go with Sennheiser over Bose.

I made a similar thread about a year ago asking about getting Bose headphones, although not noise cancelling or wireless and people were recommending Senheiser or AUDIO-TECHNICA over Bose. I ended up getting the ATH-M50'S because they were in my price range and am very pleased with them.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I would definitely go with Sennheiser over Bose.

I made a similar thread about a year ago asking about getting Bose headphones, although not noise cancelling or wireless and people were recommending Senheiser or AUDIO-TECHNICA over Bose. I ended up getting the ATH-M50'S because they were in my price range and am very pleased with them.

Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, those are some of the very best headphone brands. However Bose makes the absolute best noise cancelling, bar none. If that's your criteria, they're who you buy if your budget supports their prices.

Despite some people's opinion, good noise cancelling headphones are better than their similarly priced counterpart from those brands in certain environments where noise pollution is high. Side by side at a coffee shop you will generally want Senns, but on a plane you'll want the Bose.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Soooo, just to update you all since you were so kind to offer your opinions...

My pops just bought the sennheiser momentum headphones. The store said that if he so chooses he can exchange them for the Bose 35 within 30 days.

look forward to testing them out for myself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->