Sportsnet: Headlines Notes:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Pre-Deadline Edition of Headlines:

- CJ says Columbus has looked at acquiring all three players from Ottawa but cost was too high. Columbus still looking to add more.

- OTT expected to approach Mark Stone again per Friedman. One last attempt.

- Kypreos says Stone ask is really high and buyers are starting to turn elsewhere. WPG, CGY, NSH, BOS all have strong interest.

- CJ says could be a quiet deadline for TOR. Says TOR finds prices too high currently. Potentially a smaller deal.

- Kevin Hayes “plan B” for a lot of teams looking at Mark Stone. Cost would be a lot easier for those teams. Logan Stanley is a name the Rangers are interested in.

- Eric Staal does not want to be traded.

- PIT tried to reacquire Carl Hagelin, but was ineligible to reacquire him since they retained money on him less than a year ago.

- Friedman says the Simmonds market is starting to heat up.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Imagine working at trade registry if Ottawa had made a giant trade involving all three of Duchene, Stone and Dzingel to Columbus on trade deadline day.. You'd have to put everyone else on hold for like a hour.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Not to surprised with the Leaf info.

If the price is too high then forget it. We gave up a few assets already for Muzzin. They just have to do what they can with this lineup.

Only way I see anything happening is a small add for depth on d or a cheap forward... any other trade has to be a pure hockey trade... 1 guy for 1 guy and money has to be close.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
- Eric Staal does not want to be traded.

A) I hope this means Fenton is engaged in talks about Staal
B) I hope Fenton doesn't keep him just because Staal wants to stay

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
I guess Toronto should follow the Edmonton model when they had their best shot recently. Trade your top forward for a shutdown man. How did that work out for you?
Actually our best season came after that trade but I wouldn't have expected a Toronto fan to know anything.

Reactions: North

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I guess Toronto should follow the Edmonton model when they had their best shot recently. Trade your top forward for a shutdown man. How did that work out for you?

Logged in just to say this man above me has ‘no chill’. Ouch. What a comment.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Toronto's best shot at the Cup (before they have to spend 16M more on Marner/Matthews) and they're not gonna do anything...?
They probably see a window of 5-10 years as preferable to blowing it all this season with the juggernaut that is Tampa standing in their way.

You know what the Leafs will really need in order to accommodate Matthews/Marner's deals? Futures and draft picks, the exact thing that you seem to want them to deal away this year.

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
what's the scouting report on Stanley?

I think the NYR would target a forward frankly- we have D out the nose but not much in the way of wingers coming up the ranks with top 6 upside besides kravtsov.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
- CJ says could be a quiet deadline for TOR. Says TOR finds prices too high currently. Potentially a smaller deal.

Toronto's best shot at the Cup (before they have to spend 16M more on Marner/Matthews) and they're not gonna do anything...?

Did you read the last sentence?

:laugh:

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Actually our best season came after that trade but I wouldn't have expected a Toronto fan to know anything.

We know enough not to trade our top forward for a mid-pairing dman and then replace that forward with Lucic. The long-term ramifications were so clearly written that Stevie Wonder could have read it.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Wonder if Pittsburgh has interest in Trevor Lewis. Rumor has it he’s on the move and he’s basically Carl Hagelin with a little more defense and a little less speed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not to surprised with the Leaf info.

If the price is too high then forget it. We gave up a few assets already for Muzzin. They just have to do what they can with this lineup.

Only way I see anything happening is a small add for depth on d or a cheap forward... any other trade has to be a pure hockey trade... 1 guy for 1 guy and money has to be close.
At this point with their win tonight, it appears that a Tor/Bos 1st round matchup is all but locked in.

Do the Leafs have what it takes to beat Boston?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
At this point with their win tonight, it appears that a Tor/Bos 1st round matchup is all but locked in.

Do the Leafs have what it takes to beat Boston?

Yes, if they can get over their mental block they seem to have.

Same as Vancouver vs Chicago circa 2010ish...

They took Boston to 7 games and significantly improved from last year.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Best shot at the cup when their best players are 20-22. I'm sure they'll have a few cracks at it.

This is not the peak.

I think what some are suggesting is that with the cap challenges TOR faces after this season whether they will have the ability to add freely the way they do this year. TOR has already moved its first which signals some sort of “going for it” approach. At some point a team should make that effort and this seems to be a good year for TOR to try.

Would trading a second and a guy like Bracco really set TOR back in the future? Even if they get to the conference finals before falling in a close series it could arguably be worth it. If some rentals help achieve that it wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Enjoy having a good team and don’t be afraid of management sending the message that the time to win is now. It’s good for the players to see some commitment to improving the roster even if only incrementally. The team will have to be more careful once you see how the big deals shake out and if there are any co casualties but for one year with all the cap space why not take advantage?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Toronto is going to be a good team for the better part of the next 10 years. This is just another year in a long window for them.

They did get Muzzin. Would the impact be greater if he was acquired at the deadline instead?

They are already the best team at scoring goals on ES by a big margin. They have top ~10 goaltending, GA/GP, GF/GP, goal differential etc. No rental is going to move the needle for them any further.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad