Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
ruff-130621.jpg

hitchcock04148151103546_t1070_h1036308b18eb560581af3111125e7cf194c1f7c1.jpg

images

something something New Star Rising

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Said a lot without saying anything. Not entirely surprising. I doubt he's had a ton of time to do film work on the team. When asked about the players outside of the stars, he was very generic, good depth, good prospects, looking forward to coach young group, I'm excited.

________

Feb 6, 2006

Montgomery: But I also like to study different coaches all around and I steal a little bit from everybody. And I think, you know, the biggest strength you'll see of my teams is we're relentless when we don't have the puck because we want to get it back, but when we do get it, we really value it and we're always going to know our outs whether we have time or whether we have space with the puck. If we don't have time and space we're going to know where we need to put it because somebody's going to that area so we can maintain possession. It's not always about making plays when you have the puck, it's about managing it and knowing that you have support to certain areas.

Montgomery: We're just going to tweak it a little bit, we're going to try and be a little quicker to offense and we're going to try to make sure we're taking availability of time and space and bringing speed to that area.

If you look at Pittsburgh, with the success they've had is people are going to areas before the puck is actually on their tape and they know where their support is coming from when they get it. The ability to play fast doesn't mean you actually have to be fast, it's that you all have to be on the same page and your anticipatory skills have to be high end.

________

Feb 6, 2006

More on the tweet above
21. How much video of the Stars had he watched before getting hired? “I was making calls more than watching games. People I respect, I was asking them, ‘What do they have and what are they are missing?’ The answer was, ‘What they have you can’t coach, what they are missing, you can.’ I’m confident we can have a successful run.”

I was curious about Spezza, who went through a hard year. “I told him, ‘I like to play with the puck, and you like to play with the puck. Whatever happened last year or the last two years, you’ve had a great career, and I expect you to be at that level.’ Fire in someone’s belly is an incredible motivator, and we’ll see the best version of Jason Spezza we’ve seen in awhile.”

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Interesting that Monty spoke to Hamhuis. Wonder if that means anything or if Nill is letting Monty decide if he wants Hamhuis around next season

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm way more intrigued about the part about Spezza. Nill makes the final decision, but he's going to talk to the coach. That guy sounds like he thinks he has a guy that can play up to his standards next year.

I'll be interesting to see, assuming he doesn't get moved, if that happens. The fact that Montgomery was eager to reach out to Spezza knowing about his struggles is a good thing in my eyes. There's a desire to get on the same page and make it work.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
According to Craig Custance, Stars (among other teams) have reached out to Todd Nelson about the possibility of taking an assistant coaching job.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
In addition to the report Dallas is interested in Todd Nelson, Friedman said that Rikard Grönborg could land in Dallas. He's a former defenseman, and he's been head coach for Team Sweden for a while. In theory, Nelson could run the PP and forwards, and Grönborg, who has already worked with Klingberg several times, could run the D.

I saw some people mention this year that Grönborg had the potential to be the first European head coach in the NHL, but they thought he needed to get more acclimated to the culture and language. He spend three seasons in St. Cloud as a player, and he was a assistant coach in college and the junior level, and he was a head coach/GM as a lower level junior league. He then went back to Sweden to coach.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
The Stars have confirmed the Nelson hire via social media. Great to think that two of the brightest young coaching minds that everyone seems to be talking about will be sharing a bench. I'm quite excited to see this year's team.

________

Feb 6, 2006

Nelson is going to be in charge of the power play, Barnes will overlook 5-on-5 play, and a third assistant will be in charge of the penalty kill, Montgomery said. Nill said the team is in the process of finding that third assistant coach, and that there is no timeline.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
I like Todd Nelson as a hire and think he'll do great things on the PP. But him running the Defense worries me. I don't think that's really his specialty.

Expecting a bunch of odd man breakaways again this year. If they can find a balance between Hitch and Ruff that'd be great, but I have a feeling we're going to have some defensive issues again. Lindell will look more like his rookie year than last year for example without Hitch's style.

I hope Bishop is ready to be awesome this year.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I can upload the tweet later on, but Dallas will be interviewing Rick Bowness for the final coaching position this week. I'm definitely on board with this

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He has been around the block a few times, wouldn't be the worst with having Monty/Nelson being so fresh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad