HDMI Arc problem - Disconnects when using smart tv

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
So I have a Saphi Philips Smart TV.. And I have a Philips Sound bar. Both with HDMI ARC technology.

I connected the sound bar to HDMI ARC 3. It works perfectly when I watch through my playstation or through my computer. But when I go back to the Smart TV functions and watch through that... The sound bar just blinks and turns and there is no audio, so I have to go into the menu and enable the TV speakers again.

I would love to use the HDMI for connecting instead of toslink as I don't want to have to use two remotes.

Thankful for advice!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Are you using at least an HDMI 1.4 cable? That's required for ARC to work. No, you can't tell what it is unless it's actually printed on the cable, but if it's an old cable of yours or a cheap/free one that you got, it might not support it. Try other cables that you have (like the one that you're using for your PS, especially if it's a PS5 and the cable came with it) or go out and buy one that is labeled as 1.4 or better. If you'll be using it for only audio, not video, you can probably skip on the pricier 2.x models that are required for carrying 4K video (though if there's not much price difference or you want to future proof yourself, getting one wouldn't be a bad idea).

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Are you using at least an HDMI 1.4 cable? That's required for ARC to work. No, you can't tell what it is unless it's actually printed on the cable, but if it's an old cable of yours or a cheap/free one that you got, it might not support it. Try other cables that you have (like the one that you're using for your PS, especially if it's a PS5 and the cable came with it) or go out and buy one that is labeled as 1.4 or better. If you'll be using it for only audio, not video, you can probably skip on the pricier 2.x models that are required for carrying 4K video (though if there's not much price difference or you want to future proof yourself, getting one wouldn't be a bad idea).
Brand new cable with ARC specified on the package.

If it wasn't a cable with ARC, would it really work with the external sources (which are connected to the same TV) but not the TV's smart functions?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If it wasn't a cable with ARC, would it really work with the external sources (which are connected to the same TV) but not the TV's smart functions?

No, you're right; that wouldn't have worked. That should've been a clue, but I somehow misunderstand your setup, even though you explained it well enough. Sorry, but I'm glad that you found the setting.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
No, you're right; that wouldn't have worked. That should've been a clue, but I somehow misunderstand your setup, even though you explained it well enough. Sorry, but I'm glad that you found the setting.
There's no reason for saying sorry when you are trying to help :)

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad